Close Encounters of the Music Kind

Chef Jim

I have a few but I’ll start with this one…..

Korn…….I was the Chef at Hollywood Athletic Club at Universal Citywalk in the early 90’s.  Korn and Nine Inch Nails were playing at the Amphitheater.  We did the NIN after show.  We did the the Korn pre show meet and greet.  No one showed up. 😔. I went to the bar to check on the food.  The band was at at the bar looking sad.  I walked up and pointed to the music coming from the bar sound system and asked “is this you guys?”  They nodded yes. I say “love it!!”   They perked up.  🤟🏻

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I saw Dizzy Gillespie at an appearance in Buffalo.

He made a surprise stop in Buffalo and asked club manager if he wanted to set up a one night appearance.

The manager offered me standing room only ticket since he knew I was a fan and I helped out his club a number of times.

Dressed in a suit, my only suit, (proper attire was required) I listened him to play for 75 minutes and during performance not sound was made - waiters did not serve customers, no glasses clinking, no talking, etc.  At end of performance there was applause for 5-10 minutes and then waiters started serving pent up demand.

I noticed he seemed a little tired and was just sitting there so I walked up and asked him if needed anything.

"Just some water please" he said.

I think he thought I was a waiter for my suit was similar to theirs.

I went up to the bar and talked to a bartender I knew who was busy like all of them telling him that the star wanted some water.

He gave me a pitcher of water, an empty glass and a glass of ice and returned to other customers.

I brought to him and he said "Thank you."

Later after closing (I was getting a ride from kitchen staff member) manager said he saw what I did and it was nice.

Then he asked why I did not ask for an autograph.

I said I did not want to bother him and he said he he would not have minded.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Was at a Super Bowl party at a home of a friend of my then girlfriend, the year of Nipple Gate.  During halftime was talking to some guy in the kitchen.  After the game on the way home she asks me if I knew who I was talking to, I said no.  She says that was Todd Hobin. I knew the name having heard of his band, but did not know that was him. 

Maybe 2004, I would house sit for the brother of my boss, while he was out of town for work, and watch his dogs.  Through his travels for work he'd meet a lot of people.  One person was Spencer Bohren, kind of folk, blues, southern music. Well, one time when Spencer was in the area, he came to the house and did a private show for just family and friends of the owner.  Maybe 10 years later I was in New Orleans for work and saw Spencer was doing a show at a local art museum, so I stopped over.  He actually remembered me from that house show 10 years earlier. 

I don't remember the year, it was sometime after I got season tickets, so after 2000, when you could still stand by the players entrance of the stadium before a game.  I'm there with Cindy (rip) and we see one of the Bills front office people coming towards us with some guy.  We both recognize this guy but can't think of a name. They walk by us, we say hi, they say hi back.  They are about 50 yards away from us when it hits us, that was Chuck Mangione!  He was there to do the National Athem that day. As tempting as it was to chase them down for a picture, I did not. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I was skiing in Big Bear Mt.  They were doing an MTV thing. As I walked down the slope Rob Zombie was standing at bottom of the slope alone staring up at the the ski slope….

Chef Jim:  Hey Rob

Rob: hey

Like we were buds. LOL 

theres a park next to the office i worked in at nashville and one day when i was driving into the parking lot, i saw a homeless dude run up behind two hunnies and put his arms around their shoulders

i yelled HEY and it turned out to be steven tyler.

• Haha (+1) 1

oh my. I have a list of memorable happenstances like this. I saw Leon Redbone at the Pembroke NYS Thruway gas stop. And yes he was wearing fedora and sunglasses,  Big mustache.  I immediately recognized him.

I went to an Experience Hendrix show at the Albany Palace Theater back in 2014.

My buddies and I were walking around, killing time and went to check out one of the tour buses.  They're decorated with huge pictures of Hendrix ... very cool.

When we walked by the bus, there was a woman standing outside of the bus smoking this mammoth cigar.  We exchanged pleasantries and kept moving along.

Fast forward to the beginning of the show ... the emcee welcomes us, then introduces Janie Hendrix - Jimi's sister.

As soon as she came out, I realized that she was the woman smoking the cigar outside the bus.

• Like (+1) 4

I've had a few. 

My best is I used to do the website for Alex Lifeson's bar (The Orbit Room) in Toronto in 1999-2000. When Alex would show up (once every two to three weeks), he would always get there early and bartend for a couple of hours. One night I got there early myself, and Alex was behind the bar. He sees me enter, and says "Hey Hoffman, come here!" I walk up to the bar, he pours two shots of Tequila, and simply says "Drink". I reply, "Alex, that ***** will kill me". He then leans towards me to where his face is about 3 inches away from mine and says "Then you can tell all your friends you died drinking with the guitarist of Rush! Drink!" So I had the shot. 

Later in 2000 I moved to California and my ex and I won a contest to have breakfast with Geddy Lee. There were a total of 20 people there. Everyone asked Geddy about Rush, and he was so nice to answer every question. My ex and I started talking to him about kids and baseball, and he literally shut everyone else out and focused on us for a solid 30 minutes, talking about kids and baseball. 

in 2001 I was in LA meeting with Rush's security lead. He tells us to go to this laundrymat in East Hollywood and look for a big guy. Sure enough, my ex and I get to the laundrymat, and there is this mountain of a man standing at a door next to the laundrymat. We ask for Michael (Rush's security lead), and he says "He's right inside", and ushers us in. It was one of those true Hollywood hidden bars. I'm talking with 4 guys, nice conversation. Michael comes over and says, "so you're getting along with Limp Bizkit?" 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

there is a band that is popular with the indie crowd called Tame Impala.  I met the lead guitarist in Hollywood CA on New Years eve. My sons band at the time Cults played there that night and this was back stage. This guy had on a red snakeskin belt. I had no clue about thst band at the time. I think they've been nominated for a grammy. though

I made quite a strange encounter with the band MGMT but it's kind of long to type.

Bad Religion anybody? Their drummer Jamie Miller I met at a show, again my son playing in a band with him. We bonded over our shared love of pittie dogs.

Edited by muppy
clue

When I was like 12 I met the entire Cypress Hill crew at the Rochester train station whilst my mother and I were picking up my brother.  They were coming up from NYC for a show, IIRC. This was just after their first self titled hit album was released.

I instantly recognized B-Real from the music video that had just come out.  They were all very nice.  It’s almost like  they were shocked that someone recognized them.  I didn’t have anything for them to autograph, so this guy in a suit (who I assume was their tour manager or something) went to his bag and gave me a little tour poster and they all autographed it.  I think I still have that somewhere.

• Like (+1) 3

I was working in a hotel in 1982 and Bonnie Raitt and her band and road crew stayed there. I saw them checking in at the front desk and I saw Ian McLagan, the keyboard player for The Faces, The Small Faces and the Rolling Stones on their 78 and 81 tours. I went up to him and said I was a big fan and asked him for his autograph.  He said he was happy that I recognized him. He said "It boosts me ego." Several hours later it was 11PM and I was done working and ready to leave the hotel and I saw Ian walking into the hotel bar by himself. He saw me and asked me if I was still working. I said no I'm done for the day. He said: Care to join me in the pub for a few drinks? I did and talked and drank with him until the bar closed at 2AM. 

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, Bills4everNY said:

I was working in a hotel in 1982 and Bonnie Raitt and her band and road crew stayed there. I saw them checking in at the front desk and I saw Ian McLagan, the keyboard player for The Faces, The Small Faces and the Rolling Stones on their 78 and 81 tours. I went up to him and said I was a big fan and asked him for his autograph.  He said he was happy that I recognized him. He said "It boosts me ego." Several hours later it was 11PM and I was done working and ready to leave the hotel and I saw Ian walking into the hotel bar by himself. He saw me and asked me if I was still working. I said no I'm done for the day. He said: Care to join me in the pub for a few drinks? I did and talked and drank with him until the bar closed at 2AM. 

as soon as I read Bonnie Raitt my heart froze.  I have never had personal contact with her. The closest i came was in Denver CO. She was playing a gig in of all places downtown Denver for a street music festival. It was the end of her set and the crowd had thinned down quite a bit. I was center in front of her dancing In my absolute Glory. I LOVE HER I love everything about her. I have been a fan of hers since the 70's. And have seen her the most times of any artist Period. Which says a Lot.

I have to google and see if she has a biography or documentary about she and her life. Having that happenstance convo with Ian McLagan was a welcome respite from touring and being on the road away from home and friends for him too. Good eye for Ian there that sounds like it was an awesome experience 🙂

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Bad Things said:

I once pissed in a urinal next to Eddie Money.

Top that!

Do you know what he did when he stopped peeing?

He did some Shakin'!

😀

Edited by Bad Things
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/29/2022 at 12:40 PM, Draconator said:

I've had a few. 

My best is I used to do the website for Alex Lifeson's bar (The Orbit Room) in Toronto in 1999-2000. When Alex would show up (once every two to three weeks), he would always get there early and bartend for a couple of hours. One night I got there early myself, and Alex was behind the bar. He sees me enter, and says "Hey Hoffman, come here!" I walk up to the bar, he pours two shots of Tequila, and simply says "Drink". I reply, "Alex, that ***** will kill me". He then leans towards me to where his face is about 3 inches away from mine and says "Then you can tell all your friends you died drinking with the guitarist of Rush! Drink!" So I had the shot. 

Later in 2000 I moved to California and my ex and I won a contest to have breakfast with Geddy Lee. There were a total of 20 people there. Everyone asked Geddy about Rush, and he was so nice to answer every question. My ex and I started talking to him about kids and baseball, and he literally shut everyone else out and focused on us for a solid 30 minutes, talking about kids and baseball. 

in 2001 I was in LA meeting with Rush's security lead. He tells us to go to this laundrymat in East Hollywood and look for a big guy. Sure enough, my ex and I get to the laundrymat, and there is this mountain of a man standing at a door next to the laundrymat. We ask for Michael (Rush's security lead), and he says "He's right inside", and ushers us in. It was one of those true Hollywood hidden bars. I'm talking with 4 guys, nice conversation. Michael comes over and says, "so you're getting along with Limp Bizkit?" 

Geddy is a HUGE baseball fan, which makes him even more awesome.  Everything about the guy is just great.  This is an absolutely amazing experience!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Geddy is a HUGE baseball fan, which makes him even more awesome.  Everything about the guy is just great.  This is an absolutely amazing experience!!!

Not only could he name every World Series winner from the early 1920's, but he knew the nicknames of each and every winning team. He is truly a walking baseball encyclopedia. 

Back in the late 80's me and a bud went to an electric Hot Tuna show at Jannus Landing in St. Pete. We got there a few hours early to take it all in and walked up the stairs to the bar... a big long one. There was One guy at the bar at that time and I said "look, that's Jack Cassady". We sat down next to him and ordered drinks and started just shooting the breeze... he was very nice. I didn't want to ask him for an auto but at one point my bud just said "hey, he's a big JA fan, can you sign something for him"? Jack laughed and said sure... so I have a cocktail napkin with Jacks signature with my name spelled wrong lol and a great memory. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, muppy said:

as soon as I read Bonnie Raitt my heart froze.  I have never had personal contact with her. The closest i came was in Denver CO. She was playing a gig in of all places downtown Denver for a street music festival. It was the end of her set and the crowd had thinned down quite a bit. I was center in front of her dancing In my absolute Glory. I LOVE HER I love everything about her. I have been a fan of hers since the 70's. And have seen her the most times of any artist Period. Which says a Lot.

I have to google and see if she has a biography or documentary about she and her life. Having that happenstance convo with Ian McLagan was a welcome respite from touring and being on the road away from home and friends for him too. Good eye for Ian there that sounds like it was an awesome experience 🙂

I didn't get to talk to Bonnie Raitt when she was there but everyone who did said she was really nice. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/29/2022 at 7:46 PM, Bad Things said:

I once pissed in a urinal next to Eddie Money.

Top that!

2000, Long Lake, New York general store... Checked out right behind Bruce Willis, his daughters and nanny... Strange,  they were buying a crap load of bottled water... 

Anyway... He's into music too:

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Draconator said:

Not only could he name every World Series winner from the early 1920's, but he knew the nicknames of each and every winning team. He is truly a walking baseball encyclopedia. 

This is my favorite Geddy baseball story. Awesome. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Bills4everNY said:

I didn't get to talk to Bonnie Raitt when she was there but everyone who did said she was really nice. 

Bonnie (knowledge from as many times as Ive seen her) is a ballsy chick. What I mean by that is if she is heckled by a jerk in the audience she will give it right back and put that jerk in his place.  I could go on and on she's my gurl LOL. She has been playing music professionally most of her life.  Her career had some ups and downs along the way.  All the lows in the past I hope.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, Draconator said:

There was one baseball aspect Geddy did get wrong. That year A-Rod was a free agent leaving Seattle. I asked Geddy where he thought A-Rod would sign, and he thought he would sign with the Dodgers. 

That's an odd one, for sure.  Most speculated Boston, which nearly happened.  Maybe it was wishful thinking on his part because he didn't want Rodriguez in the AL East/against the Blue Jays.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not really all that interested in celebrity stuff, so have never bothered to get an autograph or anything. But while working at WCVB in Boston (Needham, actually) the great guitarist Larry Carlton was there and on our local morning show. I noticed him playing on the TV in my office, so walked down the hall. When he came out of the studio I said, "Just wanted to say I'm a big fan. Thanks for all the music."  He said Thanks and shook my hand.

One other time at the Tralf the David Grisman Quartet (maybe Quintet) played two shows. After the first show my buddy and I stopped at the bar and two of the band members (I won't mention their names) came to the bar and noticed we were a bit ***** up. Conversation revealed we had consumed some mushrooms during the show. So we slipped the guys a few shrooms before we left. They were very happy.  I never heard how the second show went.

I was with a group of buddies walking down the street, heading to the "Hard Rock Cafe" in London, 1988.

As we got close to the entrance, a limousine pulled up, and the 3 band members from ZZ TOP got out, and headed into the Hard Rock Cafe.

My buddy Joe looked at Billy Gibbons, and said "Hey Billy!"  and he said "Hey guys" with a smile and seemed like a nice guy.  No security or other people with the 3 guys.

They went into the cafe ahead of us and were there for some sort of "appearance".

I think that's the only time I've come in contact with a famous rock musician.

• Like (+1) 2

On 7/1/2022 at 9:42 AM, Draconator said:

There was one baseball aspect Geddy did get wrong. That year A-Rod was a free agent leaving Seattle. I asked Geddy where he thought A-Rod would sign, and he thought he would sign with the Dodgers. 

I didn't know Geddy was a huge baseball fan.  Interesting story about him donating the balls to the ***** League museum.

I have a colleague at work who I've known for a good 20 years now; her grandfather had a long career in the ***** Leagues.  Was probably a heck of a ball player.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

My only other two musical encounters happened on the same day back in 1987.

There was some sort of music convention in Albany that had representatives for all of the major brands.

My buddy and I (we in high school at the time) drove down because to of the reps were Tommy Aldridge (Ozzy, Whitesnake) representing Yamaha drums and Rick Nielsen (Cheap Trick) representing Hamer guitars.

I met Rick Nielsen first.  I was a HUGE Cheap Trick fan at the time, so I was stoked.  I went up to him and said hello.  He said, "yo!"  Told him I was a big fan and asked him to sign a piece of paper, he responded, "yo!"  Told him thank you and it was great to meet him, he responded, "yo!"  I walked away, found the nearest garbage can and threw his autograph away.  Supreme douchebag. 

Later that day, we got to meet Tommy Aldridge.  He was happy to sign autographs for people.  Actually SPOKE to every single person individually, including thanking each person for coming.  Such a different experience.  He signed the hat I was wearing, which I no longer have.  After his little meet and greet, he got on a set of Yamahas and put on a nice little show.  After his solo, he took questions from anyone who wanted to ask.  He graciously answered questions about Randy Rhoades, Ozzy, even Neil Peart!!  Couldn't have been a cooler dude.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Gugny said:

My only other two musical encounters happened on the same day back in 1987.

There was some sort of music convention in Albany that had representatives for all of the major brands.

My buddy and I (we in high school at the time) drove down because to of the reps were Tommy Aldridge (Ozzy, Whitesnake) representing Yamaha drums and Rick Nielsen (Cheap Trick) representing Hamer guitars.

I met Rick Nielsen first.  I was a HUGE Cheap Trick fan at the time, so I was stoked.  I went up to him and said hello.  He said, "yo!"  Told him I was a big fan and asked him to sign a piece of paper, he responded, "yo!"  Told him thank you and it was great to meet him, he responded, "yo!"  I walked away, found the nearest garbage can and threw his autograph away.  Supreme douchebag. 

Later that day, we got to meet Tommy Aldridge.  He was happy to sign autographs for people.  Actually SPOKE to every single person individually, including thanking each person for coming.  Such a different experience.  He signed the hat I was wearing, which I no longer have.  After his little meet and greet, he got on a set of Yamahas and put on a nice little show.  After his solo, he took questions from anyone who wanted to ask.  He graciously answered questions about Randy Rhoades, Ozzy, even Neil Peart!!  Couldn't have been a cooler dude.

I have a buddy who is seriously into his music. He’s got a music studio in his basement with mixing gear, a couple dozen guitars, a grand piano, etc. 

A couple decades ago my wife became friends with the lead singer for a big time band (I saw not one but TWO of the shirts at the grocery store today).  We got into trading dinner parties at each other’s houses since it’s very difficult for them to go out in public. They would invite all these musicians and I had no idea who they were. It was very cool, and often some live music would break out, which was AWESOME! 

My buddy BEGGED me to get invited into this circle. This is decades ago and just recently he shared the names of some people who would attend these dinners with another music buff. I suppose he got them right, but it meant nothing to me. When he brought it up 20 years later I told him “and THAT is why you could never come!”  We were mostly accepted because we didn’t go all crazy over them. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Augie said:

I have a buddy who is seriously into his music. He’s got a music studio in his basement with mixing gear, a couple dozen guitars, a grand piano, etc. 

A couple decades ago my wife became friends with the lead singer for a big time band (I saw not one but TWO of the shirts at the grocery store today).  We got into trading dinner parties at each other’s houses since it’s very difficult for them to go out in public. They would invite all these musicians and I had no idea who they were. It was very cool, and often some live music would break out, which was AWESOME! 

My buddy BEGGED me to get invited into this circle. This is decades ago and just recently he shared the names of some people who would attend these dinners with another music buff. I suppose he got them right, but it meant nothing to me. When he brought it up 20 years later I told him “and THAT is why you could never come!”  We were mostly accepted because we didn’t go all crazy over them. 

I remember you telling me about your friendship with this lead singer (I won't mention the name).  Coincidentally, I actually thought about that story over this past weekend while we were boating on Lake George and looking at the million dollar homes!  

My very first encounter with a celebrity happened in Batavia in 1977. I was the coat check girl at  a rock venue called "The Primitive scene" I met Billy Sheehan the bass player there in the owners office. The one funny one was I met Jerry Lewis' son Gary Lewis. He hit on me, he was rebuked. Then he asked if I knew where he could buy some weed. I didn't know this guy from Adam so I told him No. He invited me back to his holiday inn hotel. I rebuked him Again.

Gary Lewis and the Playboys indeed.

• Haha (+1) 1

In 1980 or so I was spending my Saturday night where I normally did, at the Continental Club down on Franklin Street in downtown Buffalo listening to some local punk band. The place was packed and it was hot and very loud. Sometime after midnight I look to my right and there was a short-ish guy with spiky blond hair standing next to me. I was pretty wasted by that time but managed to tell him "ya know, you look a lot like Billy Idol". Without missing a beat he replies "I am Billy Idol ya f**kin' idiot". Turns out they were turned back at the border on there way to Toronto so they decided to hit up the club.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, muppy said:

My very first encounter with a celebrity happened in Batavia in 1977. I was the coat check girl at  a rock venue called "The Primitive scene" I met Billy Sheehan the bass player there in the owners office. The one funny one was I met Jerry Lewis' son Gary Lewis. He hit on me, he was rebuked. Then he asked if I knew where he could buy some weed. I didn't know this guy from Adam so I told him No. He invited me back to his holiday inn hotel. I rebuked him Again.

Here they go and put it right in their band name, trying to be completely transparent and this is the response they get.  

Batavia Girl 1977: What do you guys like to do when you’re not playing?

GL:  We’re playboys, we like to score chicks. 
BG 1977: No, seriously, do you like to talk about your feelings? 
GL:  We feel like we want to score chicks. We’re playboys. 
BG 1977:  But isn’t there more to life, settling down, sunsets and love?
GL:  Probably, but for now, it’s pretty much about the chicks. 

I respect the hell out of the bravery it took to be so honest.  

• Like (+1) 1

lol yeah well I don't blame him for trying leo.  ***failure gong*** poor Gary. Another one bites the dust. You'd have thought he'd have gotten it after the first rebuke.

Thinking with the wrong head INDEED. this was their BIG Hit . Yep that's him.  Oh  GARY come HITHER...said muppy NEVER haha-m

15 hours ago, muppy said:

This is why Jerry left him out of his will. 🤔

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.