Preparing for Tre White to never be the same post-injury

Einstein

1 hour ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

OK, expecting quality corner play from a rookie usually comes from fans who don't realize there's a learning curve in the NFL. Tell me about getting everything out of depth dbs when they got lit up by KC with everything on the line. Love your optimism though.

The learning curve for the NFL has changed dramatically in the last decade.  And it all has to do with what is happening in college.  Used to be you could plug and play your high draft pick OT for a decade.  Not any more.  OL play in college has devolved into nearly every play being run out of a two point stance.  Centers are more NFL ready than OTs.  In the past, QB and CB took time to develop.  Now DT is one of the longest positions to develop.  Teams pass so much in college and the route trees are nearly as complex.  The pass defenses used by Power 5 teams is just as intricate in the pros.  QBs and CBs are now stepping right on the field and if they have the talent they play reasonably well.  Not discounting some learning curve, but if Elam has the skills he should be fine.

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Please...save it for the breeze...your takes are old and smell funky like cottage cheese.

We see quality play from rookie DBs every year...stop acting like it's something that never happens.

What rookies do you have in mind? Just curious about the funky cottage cheese reference when you come up with zero examples. Maybe your silly, unfounded assertions work with the poor souls that need anything positive about their favorite team. Not objective Bills fans.

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

The learning curve for the NFL has changed dramatically in the last decade.  And it all has to do with what is happening in college.  Used to be you could plug and play your high draft pick OT for a decade.  Not any more.  OL play in college has devolved into nearly every play being run out of a two point stance.  Centers are more NFL ready than OTs.  In the past, QB and CB took time to develop.  Now DT is one of the longest positions to develop.  Teams pass so much in college and the route trees are nearly as complex.  The pass defenses used by Power 5 teams is just as intricate in the pros.  QBs and CBs are now stepping right on the field and if they have the talent they play reasonably well.  Not discounting some learning curve, but if Elam has the skills he should be fine.

Not saying Elam can't be dominant.

,, just not expecting it year one. If it happens the defense will not be so dependent on White being White immediately. 

19 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Part of it, frankly, is the repetitive negativity of your short posting history.

Is it possible that you’re thinking of a different poster? I’ve only created 10 threads in this forum, and they’ve been about Game Weather, Josh Allen hitting a home run, NFL Schedule makers giving Bills an advantage, Power Ranking, PFF and the KC game. I wouldn’t have guessed that anyone thought of me as negative before you wrote such.

Tre has to come back, he has to!  I have plans. I can envision our fully functional Death Star, I mean, secondary.

That!

is a Super Bowl worthy secondary. It sure is.

I have, for awhile now, expected our secondary to mesh about week six….

im sticking with that date.

37 minutes ago, HamptonBillsfan said:

What rookies do you have in mind? Just curious about the funky cottage cheese reference when you come up with zero examples. Maybe your silly, unfounded assertions work with the poor souls that need anything positive about their favorite team. Not objective Bills fans.

Not saying Elam can't be dominant.

,, just not expecting it year one. If it happens the defense will not be so dependent on White being White immediately. 

Denzel Ward, Jalen Ramsey, Patrick Peterson, Tre White, Patrick Surtain II, etc 

Literally multiple players that start the majority of the games as rookies every year.

Elam will be very good as a rookie I believe. Partially due to his skilllset, partially due to the scheme, and partially due to our coaches being exceptional especially at getting secondary players to play at a very high level even if they are UDFA's called up from the practice squad.

I'm going to assume he'll be his old self until he's not.  Why think otherwise?  If he does come back just as he left, you'll have wasted all that time and effort worrying.  If he doesn't, there'll still be plenty of time to worry then.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Denzel Ward, Jalen Ramsey, Patrick Peterson, Tre White, Patrick Surtain II, etc 

Literally multiple players that start the majority of the games as rookies every year.

Elam will be very good as a rookie I believe. Partially due to his skilllset, partially due to the scheme, and partially due to our coaches being exceptional especially at getting secondary players to play at a very high level even if they are UDFA's called up from the practice squad.

Thanks for naming the who's who of dbs in the NFL. Sadly they represent the tiny % of corners that overachieved in their rookie deal.

13 hours ago, dje85 said:

If only we had an elite qb and offense so we didn't have to rely only on our defense to win every game we play.. Oh wait..

Good enough to win the division, yes. I’m talking about being Championship Caliber

If only we had an elite qb and offense so we didn't have to rely only on our defense to win every game we play.. Oh wait..

Good enough to win the division, yes. I’m talking about being Championship Caliber

On 5/25/2022 at 8:04 AM, Einstein said:

I understand not reading a post that you're not interested in. 

I do not understand not reading the post, but then still commenting on it.

The studies are from 2022, 2019 and 2017. All recent. Nothing old. All relevant today.

The 2022 study was analyzing data from 2013 to 2018.

The 2019 study looked at data from 2013 to 2017.

The 2017 study looked at incidences from 2006 to 2012.

Relevant today? Yeah, but the data is still old. And things appear to have gotten a lot better in the past few years.

We'll have to see how he does.  But long term I'm more concerned with the meniscus issue than the ACL.  Modern surgical techniques are very effective at repairing the ACL.  But meniscus damage affects the cartilage within the joint, which acts as a shock absorber.  There aren't good ways to repair meniscus damage, and ultimately you wind up with bone on bone issues.

36 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

We'll have to see how he does.  But long term I'm more concerned with the meniscus issue than the ACL.  Modern surgical techniques are very effective at repairing the ACL.  But meniscus damage affects the cartilage within the joint, which acts as a shock absorber.  There aren't good ways to repair meniscus damage, and ultimately you wind up with bone on bone issues.

I’ve read non contact injuries are easier to return from, maybe this is part of the reason. Less force. Tears are cleaner. Less damage to the knee.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

Revis was in multiple probowls following his acl.

How well done the surgery is and hard they rehab to get the leg muscles back to form matter quite a lot. 

Tre has always been a good not great athlete that works hard and plays smart. 

im optimistic that he outperforms the numbers as he always has. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.