Jump to content

Rd 6, Pick 180 (1): Punter Matt Araiza, San Diego State


DJB
 Share

Recommended Posts

Interesting take on the pick by CBS News. I hope the writer’s supposition is off base.

 

Loser: Bills fans 

The Bills selected San Diego State punter Matt Araiza, also known as "Punt God," with the No. 180 overall pick in the draft. While employing a player known as "Punt God" seems cool, it might tempt Bills coach Sean McDermott to eschew some of the aggressive decision-making that has made the Bills such a dangerous (and fun to watch) team over the past couple years, in favor of punting the ball more often. That's not good! Let Josh Allen and Co. win the game themselves instead of worrying about things like field position. 

  • Eyeroll 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Scout quotes per long-time Packers and NFL beat writer, Bob McGinn:

 

NFL special-teams coordinator: “This guy is Corey Bojorquez. He’s got just phenomenal numbers. He’s got a great gross average but he’s pretty inconsistent. He’s certainly more of a line-drive guy. He didn’t get near the same hang time that (Jordan) Stout gets. But, he had a really good combine and a really good pro day. He’s never held because he kicked field goals. After watching him at pro day the holding is going to be a deal for him. He kicked off, but he’s more of a line-drive guy like he is as a punter. He can really get it deep down the field but he doesn’t get it up as well. I can’t shade him above Stout because I think Stout will be a better holder. You’d be taking a little risk. I think he’ll get drafted. Fifth or sixth round.”

 

NFL special-teams coordinator: “Very talented. Big-time leg. Raw, very raw. He’s got a big leg. He’ll probably be in a camp. I don’t know if he makes it right away.”

 

AFC scout: “He has the strongest leg. He’s a three-step guy. He outkicks his coverage a lot of the time.”

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, junior said:

Scout quotes per long-time Packers and NFL beat writer, Bob McGinn:

 

NFL special-teams coordinator: “This guy is Corey Bojorquez. He’s got just phenomenal numbers. He’s got a great gross average but he’s pretty inconsistent. He’s certainly more of a line-drive guy. He didn’t get near the same hang time that (Jordan) Stout gets. But, he had a really good combine and a really good pro day. He’s never held because he kicked field goals. After watching him at pro day the holding is going to be a deal for him. He kicked off, but he’s more of a line-drive guy like he is as a punter. He can really get it deep down the field but he doesn’t get it up as well. I can’t shade him above Stout because I think Stout will be a better holder. You’d be taking a little risk. I think he’ll get drafted. Fifth or sixth round.”

 

NFL special-teams coordinator: “Very talented. Big-time leg. Raw, very raw. He’s got a big leg. He’ll probably be in a camp. I don’t know if he makes it right away.”

 

AFC scout: “He has the strongest leg. He’s a three-step guy. He outkicks his coverage a lot of the time.”

 

Everything we suspected already, really. Fine as a sixth round choice considering the issues Haack had last year.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Interesting take on the pick by CBS News. I hope the writer’s supposition is off base.

 

Loser: Bills fans 

The Bills selected San Diego State punter Matt Araiza, also known as "Punt God," with the No. 180 overall pick in the draft. While employing a player known as "Punt God" seems cool, it might tempt Bills coach Sean McDermott to eschew some of the aggressive decision-making that has made the Bills such a dangerous (and fun to watch) team over the past couple years, in favor of punting the ball more often. That's not good! Let Josh Allen and Co. win the game themselves instead of worrying about things like field position. 

 

"Leg arrogance."

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Interesting take on the pick by CBS News. I hope the writer’s supposition is off base.

 

Loser: Bills fans 

The Bills selected San Diego State punter Matt Araiza, also known as "Punt God," with the No. 180 overall pick in the draft. While employing a player known as "Punt God" seems cool, it might tempt Bills coach Sean McDermott to eschew some of the aggressive decision-making that has made the Bills such a dangerous (and fun to watch) team over the past couple years, in favor of punting the ball more often. That's not good! Let Josh Allen and Co. win the game themselves instead of worrying about things like field position. 

 

Yes, because I'm sure McDermott will now trust the leg of Araiza more than the hands more Allen because of this pick.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

You have to love this comment by Matt Araiza! Someone get me a table!!! 

 

 

 

 

 

 

My favorite reply "if he kicks the ball and it lands in Canada, would that be considered a declaration of war?"

  • Haha (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Interesting take on the pick by CBS News. I hope the writer’s supposition is off base.

 

Loser: Bills fans 

The Bills selected San Diego State punter Matt Araiza, also known as "Punt God," with the No. 180 overall pick in the draft. While employing a player known as "Punt God" seems cool, it might tempt Bills coach Sean McDermott to eschew some of the aggressive decision-making that has made the Bills such a dangerous (and fun to watch) team over the past couple years, in favor of punting the ball more often. That's not good! Let Josh Allen and Co. win the game themselves instead of worrying about things like field position. 

I'll take this the other way - since Araiza isn't good at pooching it and not a proven holder, we're going for it from our 40 and closer and not kicking field goals unless it's 4th and 10+. We'll let our defense get some work if we have to.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Interesting take on the pick by CBS News. I hope the writer’s supposition is off base.

 

Loser: Bills fans 

The Bills selected San Diego State punter Matt Araiza, also known as "Punt God," with the No. 180 overall pick in the draft. While employing a player known as "Punt God" seems cool, it might tempt Bills coach Sean McDermott to eschew some of the aggressive decision-making that has made the Bills such a dangerous (and fun to watch) team over the past couple years, in favor of punting the ball more often. That's not good! Let Josh Allen and Co. win the game themselves instead of worrying about things like field position. 

This is pure speculation with no foundation based on facts.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

Interesting take on the pick by CBS News. I hope the writer’s supposition is off base.

 

Loser: Bills fans 

The Bills selected San Diego State punter Matt Araiza, also known as "Punt God," with the No. 180 overall pick in the draft. While employing a player known as "Punt God" seems cool, it might tempt Bills coach Sean McDermott to eschew some of the aggressive decision-making that has made the Bills such a dangerous (and fun to watch) team over the past couple years, in favor of punting the ball more often. That's not good! Let Josh Allen and Co. win the game themselves instead of worrying about things like field position. 

That's not interesting at all. Because we got a good punter we're going to take Allen off the field? It's actually a ridiculous take

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

I'll take this the other way - since Araiza isn't good at pooching it and not a proven holder, we're going for it from our 40 and closer and not kicking field goals unless it's 4th and 10+. We'll let our defense get some work if we have to.

 

Unless we just go with Haack and Bass, keeping Araiza on the PS.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, junior said:

Scout quotes per long-time Packers and NFL beat writer, Bob McGinn:

 

NFL special-teams coordinator: “This guy is Corey Bojorquez. He’s got just phenomenal numbers. He’s got a great gross average but he’s pretty inconsistent. He’s certainly more of a line-drive guy. He didn’t get near the same hang time that (Jordan) Stout gets. But, he had a really good combine and a really good pro day. He’s never held because he kicked field goals. After watching him at pro day the holding is going to be a deal for him. He kicked off, but he’s more of a line-drive guy like he is as a punter. He can really get it deep down the field but he doesn’t get it up as well. I can’t shade him above Stout because I think Stout will be a better holder. You’d be taking a little risk. I think he’ll get drafted. Fifth or sixth round.”

 

NFL special-teams coordinator: “Very talented. Big-time leg. Raw, very raw. He’s got a big leg. He’ll probably be in a camp. I don’t know if he makes it right away.”

 

AFC scout: “He has the strongest leg. He’s a three-step guy. He outkicks his coverage a lot of the time.”


If the comp is Bojo, I am okay with it still. It took him a while, but Bojo became better with hang time and pooch punting over time. But there were growing pains with him outkicking coverage, etc. Just going to have to develop some of that with Araiza. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, junior said:

Scout quotes per long-time Packers and NFL beat writer, Bob McGinn:

 

NFL special-teams coordinator: “This guy is Corey Bojorquez. He’s got just phenomenal numbers. He’s got a great gross average but he’s pretty inconsistent. He’s certainly more of a line-drive guy. He didn’t get near the same hang time that (Jordan) Stout gets. But, he had a really good combine and a really good pro day. He’s never held because he kicked field goals. After watching him at pro day the holding is going to be a deal for him. He kicked off, but he’s more of a line-drive guy like he is as a punter. He can really get it deep down the field but he doesn’t get it up as well. I can’t shade him above Stout because I think lStout will be a better holder. You’d be taking a little risk. I think he’ll get drafted. Fifth or sixth round.”

 

Season 4 Dunder Mifflin Infinity GIF by The Office

  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To me, if you out-kick your coverage in the NFL, your coverage team sucks. In Buffalo it isn’t all about hang time all the time, as we saw in the Patriots game. Araiza is going to be weapon who can get hangtime if needed, but can also hit long line drives through the wind. If he is our punter in 2021 we win that windy game. I get that he may not have shown a lot of hangtime in his game. Maybe that isn’t what the coaches wanted. He did show it at the combine. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

To me, if you out-kick your coverage in the NFL, your coverage team sucks. In Buffalo it isn’t all about hang time all the time, as we saw in the Patriots game. Araiza is going to be weapon who can get hangtime if needed, but can also hit long line drives through the wind. If he is our punter in 2021 we win that windy game. I get that he may not have shown a lot of hangtime in his game. Maybe that isn’t what the coaches wanted. He did show it at the combine. 

 

Link?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...