Seems like Lamar Jackson isn't pleased with the Ravens tonight

Roundybout

1 minute ago, wjag said:

I don't agree the league has figured him out.  He was rolling along last year and the Ravens were in first place in the AFC (with a completely decimated RB) room.  Then he got sick week 10 and missed the game.  A return bout of COVID was speculated but I don't think ever confirmed.  He was hurt in week 13 against Cleveland, I think, and was never seen in a live game since.  They tried to bring him back and video surfaced of him limping badly on the practice field.  That was the effective end of his season.  My speculation is that COVID walloped him twice.  And then he got dinged.  He very well might be in a long rehab and is still not up to snuff, hence the absence from public view.

Their offense never gelled last season.  Bateman started year on IR.  Hollywood was on the injury report 6 times last year which usually is an indication of some ongoing injuries.  Stanley missed a ton of time, and they moved Orlando Brown.  Basically the entire oline was in flux all year.  They went from Edwards and Dobbins with about 280 carries at a 5.5 YPC clip, to Freeman/Murray at about a 4.2 YPC clip.  Bell had 32 touches for 84 yards.  

Add in the fact that peters was gone all year, and humphrey was banged up and missed time.  Now they'll have Peters back, and add Kyle Hamilton.  I doubt they'll have the worst pass defense in the league again.  

They could definitely use some help in the receiver room.  But their goal was to get better up front, and linderbaum and a healthy stanley goes a long way there.  I think they'll look at late stage WR's here and see if they can find someone to help.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, babulator said:

Let me take a stab at how I think this unfolding.

The team would like to sign him at a fair value. I'm sure they offered or at least hinted @ what he's worth to the team. They'd make him top 5 ... or something but they're not making him the #1 paid player in the league.

Lamar has been saying something to the effect that he wasn't ready, or didn't want a new deal yet because he wouldn't be satisfied with his play until he was the best or, #1, or something. That translates to; I know my #'s don't say I'm the best, but you have to be ready to make me the highest paid player in the league before we even speak.

Everything comes down to $. LJ has a good idea the team ain't gonna pay him #1 $, and he ain't having it. I'm sure he wants the team to reach out with a clear message that he will be the highest paid player in the league, that's all he wants to hear. That would get him to sign, believe it. Otherwise, he'll go full Cartman from South Park if he doesn't get what he wants. If you don't make me the highest paid player in the league, I'll take my ball and go next year. 

That's how I see it at any rate.

Now Lemur wants as much as Browns paid Watson thinking he has done more and wants it guaranteed.

Ravens are not so stupid.  Maybe other teams who wanted him are.

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

Lamar was kind of a unicorn in an offense built around him.  He got figured out.  Buffalo created the plan to shut him down, the Titans used it later that year to upset the Ravens in the playoffs (Titans openly admitted they used our defensive scheme in that game).

Many QBs start out with a bang, but then other teams get tape on them and performance drops.  That seems to have happened to Lamar.  His bargining position is...dubious.

The one exception is if you have a great arm, (like someone we know) Defenses will figure you out to a point, but the arm will win if you have a decent brain on your head and decent accuracy to know the right place to throw it.  On top of that if you can find someone who also can run and is built like a LB, you're in an even better place.  Just have to find that guy!

I think Lamar Jackson is doing exactly what the Ravens hope he'd do.   They hope he leaves as a FA.  I don't think Lamar Jackson is 100% healthy, nor will he ever be.  The Ravens know this.  

This is why the Ravens are likely pitching a new deal that doesn't have a lot of guaranteed money but a lot of playing time and performance incentives.  A deal he surely will never sign.  They don't want to be attached to him as the QB on a long term deal, despite the public posturing.  

The Ravens can't trade him and get the value they seek, either.   The NFL knows what the Ravens know.  

My guess is they will ride with him in 2022 and then let him walk.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

To be clear, when I said 'figured him out', I don't mean Lamer is washed up or useless or anything.  Defenses have figured him out and as a result he's now less effective then his MVP year, that's all.  He's still a great QB, but I don't think he can be productive enough anymore to warrent the salary he seems to want, that's all.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, The Red King said:

Lamar was kind of a unicorn in an offense built around him.  He got figured out.  Buffalo created the plan to shut him down, the Titans used it later that year to upset the Ravens in the playoffs (Titans openly admitted they used our defensive scheme in that game).

Many QBs start out with a bang, but then other teams get tape on them and performance drops.  That seems to have happened to Lamar.  His bargining position is...dubious.

I think his bargaining position is pretty strong.  They refuse to let him play QB and want to run an offense that basically makes it so no quality WR's will want to come there and play with him and an offense that is likely shortening his career by subjecting him to a lot of hits running the ball. He basically tells them you are paying or I am out of here and going to a team that will let me run an NFL offense, because you know there are at least 15 teams that would be in a bidding war for him as an FA.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Disagree 3

30 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

The one exception is if you have a great arm, (like someone we know) Defenses will figure you out to a point, but the arm will win if you have a decent brain on your head and decent accuracy to know the right place to throw it.  On top of that if you can find someone who also can run and is built like a LB, you're in an even better place.  Just have to find that guy!

Yeah, I phrased it wrong.  I meant "Some of the QBs that start out great...", and that's where the real star QBs emerge, the ones that can still play at star level after there is tape on them.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Eh. He’s betting on himself to have a big year. I respect it. 

Talk about hyperbole. 

Dude is a lot better than RG3.

Pre knee injury, RG3 was legit... Thats what is scary about that style. Eventually will catchup and injuries will set in. Josh is a big dude, but I always hold breath when he takes off. One big hit can destroy a whole season, even a career.

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, badassgixxer05 said:

Pre knee injury, RG3 was legit... Thats what is scary about that style. Eventually will catchup and injuries will set in. Josh is a big dude, but I always hold breath when he takes off. One big hit can destroy a whole season, even a career.

Yeah, but that's true of any position, any style of player, any play.

There is no real evidence to suggest that QB who runs = injury risk.

A QB could lose the season standing in the pocket and getting his ankle rolled by his own lineman.

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

To be clear, when I said 'figured him out', I don't mean Lamer is washed up or useless or anything.  Defenses have figured him out and as a result he's now less effective then his MVP year, that's all.  He's still a great QB, but I don't think he can be productive enough anymore to warrent the salary he seems to want, that's all.

In my head that is obvious but I am glad you said it. I enjoy watching him but I would be shocked if he is ever MVP again

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

I think his bargaining position is pretty strong.  They refuse to let him play QB and want to run an offense that basically makes it so no quality WR's will want to come there and play with him and an offense that is likely shortening his career by subjecting him to a lot of hits running the ball. He basically tells them you are paying or I am out of here and going to a team that will let me run an NFL offense, because you know there are at least 15 teams that would be in a bidding war for him as an FA.

I disagree in two minor ways; I think the team is built to maximize his ability so no reciever want to come because he will be only star. Second I bet only about 5-8 team are bidding for him, but even  if only 5 he will get paid 

15 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

If they actually let a 25 year old NFL MVP walk then they deserve everything that’s coming to them.

We'll see.  That MVP season might as well have been eons ago.  It will be interesting to see how this season goes.

2 minutes ago, Doc said:

We'll see.  That MVP season might as well have been eons ago.  It will be interesting to see how this season goes.

I'm just saying...Ravens lowball Jackson after greatly reducing his market value in Roman's high school system plus rack up the mileage w/read option, how many guys are going to want to play for them after that?

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

I'm just saying...Ravens lowball Jackson after greatly reducing his market value in Roman's high school system plus rack up the mileage w/read option, how many guys are going to want to play for them after that?

You could argue that Roman has been tailoring the offense to Lamar's strengths. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Doc said:

You could argue that Roman has been tailoring the offense to Lamar's strengths. 

No doubt. And it’s been very successful. But it hasn’t contributed greatly to Jackson’s market value or longevity, which is a grievance I don’t fault him for.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.