RD 1, Pick 23: CB Kaiir Elam, Florida

SDS

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

1) Football character

2) Length

3) Skill set built for zone

4) Athletic upside

He checks all the boxes.

That's smart, one it's a great question to ask for the team to like him, two this is a team that's done great with DBs getting some knowledge from them will help even if he doesn't go to that team.

1 minute ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

No, Kenyon Greene. Their 15th overall

I missed that. They have an uphill climb to turn the culture around there. They need these two guys to help lead the way as "can't miss" prospects.

Just now, Airseven said:

Since when do 4th round picks not make the roster? It’s a lot to give up for a player like Elam who will need time to develop. I can’t imagine he starts this season. Right now he looks like a walking PI in the pros. Grabs, holds, guesses. Nevermind his tackling issues.  Fills a need and he was likely one of their last first round grades. Not a bad pick but the critiques of the player and trade are valid.

Agree, about the 4th being valuable.

However, disagree with the rest.  Elam is extremely hard-working, already has a professional attitude and likely will have his "fundamental flaws" coached out of him by the end of training camp.  He's going to start and be a good one for a while.  

Giving up the 4th round pick to secure the player they wanted (many will also say 'needed'), is the price Beane was willing to pay.  He's earned my trust, especially given their track record with secondary acquisitions. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ExWNYer said:

I also DVR'd all three networks when they were on the clock but haven't watched them back yet. I saw his presser on the Bills FaceBook Live feed.

I Love the NFL draft a lot of anticipation and excitement before during And after! ......Hasta manana ......when we all  meet to do it again. Goodnite 2bd

Great Night!~!~!!!

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Since when do 4th round picks not make the roster? It’s a lot to give up for a player like Elam who will need time to develop. I can’t imagine he starts this season. Right now he looks like a walking PI in the pros. Grabs, holds, guesses. Nevermind his tackling issues.  Fills a need and he was likely one of their last first round grades. Not a bad pick but the critiques of the player and trade are valid.

The roster is stacked.  A 4th rounder was more likely to make the PS than the 53.  And start?  LOL!

Edited by Doc
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Ah yeah, the great Can Newton.

You know they won a superbowl right? You could do a lot worse than that run of years Carolina had when he was at his peak. That's really not the insult you're trying to make it out to be. Allen has a much better throwing motion too so the window is just going to be open longer. 

Full disclosure, I wanted a WR too, but I don't want them to reach for one.  There was no WR left on that board that had a 1st round consensus.  It's just a fact.  The IOL was gone. Going RB is just bad business. CB2 is a logical and good place for them to invest in, and now we have a cost controlled asset opposite White for the next five years.

I really don't understand your logic here. Who was on the board that was the obvious pick over Elam, or even CB?

huh?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sestak4ever said:

I agree. If he fills his role well then our secondary will be awesome along with Von Miller pressuring along with Rousseau, etc. I also heard the Rousseau has added a good 15 lbs. of muscle this off season. A great pass rush with excellent coverage is a recipe for success, and I'm sure that's how our front office and coaching staff view it.

it would be more surprising if this werent the case, but any idea where you read it? this guy has the frame to easily do this imo

22 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think if you look across the league(especially after tonight) the depth at wide out is considerable better everywhere…. Just about every team has two solid starting receivers…. And the better ones have at least 3…. It’s pushed the Bills down the league at the position IMO.

Teams are absolutely loading up at the position and for good reason…. Would love to see the Bills take this approach. Let’s see tomorrow. 

They might or they might go TE or RB and continue to develop some younger WRs they drafted previously.

Overall - who knows if th Bills would of picked a WR if someone like Olave or Williams fell, but the run on WRs and the hole at CB lined up perfectly.

Beane is not drafting for 1 year - he knows where the holes are and I am sure he also has an idea on who will be FA and in he draft next year.

The interesting thing is multiple AFC teams moved young WRs (both named Brown) and therefore weakened their teams more than the Bills drafting a CB.

Tennessee spun their wheels - trading a guy to get his replacement- I get the money situation, but how do you think that plays in that Locker Room.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Beane used the 2020 first round pick to get Diggs, so you're objectively wrong about that. Green Bay hasn't hit really on any WR draft picks, we have with Davis. We've signed decent FA depth historically as well, while Green Bay has certainly had more trouble than this.

It sounds like to me that you're having a tantrum instead of thinking about this logically.

The trade for Diggs doesn't mean they get a pass on drafting WR for 2 years.  In fact, they've used 1 pick from rounds 1-3 on a WR from 2017-21.  Likely to change tomorrow, Buffalo has used UFA liberally at WR and OL.  Need to draft and develop play-makers on offense.  Davis isn't a lock at this point with his 6 career regular/postseason games with more than 80 yards receiving. 

15 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Beane really watched Levi running 10 yards behind Tyreek last season and hit the "upgrade speed" button.

Wallace being a slower less physical zone CB wasn't the big issue.  Hill catching passes and Mahomes having time to throw was.  

1 hour ago, drab08 said:

Not a huge fan.  Hope I'm wrong.  Definitely don't like having to move up to get him.

Just don't like the analysis I've heard that he doesn't like to tackle.

The analysis I’ve heard is that he’s not great at tackling due to issues with technique; not that he’s not willing to do it.  There’s a difference.  Technique issues are correctable.  You think McDermott is signing off on drafting a DB who doesn’t like to tackle?  For real?

Edited by purple haze
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.