Darren Waller available?

Coach Tuesday

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-targeting-tight-end-525?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Some guy calling himself Cheesehead so take it fwiw, but Rotoworld picked it up so it may have some legs.  Now THIS is a player worth targeting, and if they could somehow get him for less than a first, sign me up.  Waller in this offense would be bananas.

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

25 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-targeting-tight-end-525?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Some guy calling himself Cheesehead so take it fwiw, but Rotoworld picked it up so it may have some legs.  Now THIS is a player worth targeting, and if they could somehow get him for less than a first, sign me up.  Waller in this offense would be bananas.

You aren't getting Darren Waller for the 57th pick in the Draft. The Tight End market has gotten out of hand and Waller will command the highest contract, sooner rather than later, I'm sure.

We have Knox and just gave 3.2 million guaranteed to O.J. Howard. Neither are going anywhere this season. I can't help but laugh when we address a position and then something shinier comes along and people just want to pretend like the move never happened and disregard it. 

Teams don't hand millions guaranteed to a player and then replace them weeks later before they've even hit on the field. And we're not going to have 3 TE's active on Game Day or pay millions to someone who won't be active. Hell, we didn't even carry 3 TE's on the 53 man roster last season.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

Slot WR?  He’s a pass catching TE.  He’s fantastic, but not practical.

The draft is TR.  We’ll know a lot

more by Sunday.

Put him at Slot, who’s taking him? Just to mess with the D, rotate him and Knox as receiver and TE rolls.. it would be a lot of fun.

• Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

No sense? What.

i guess i was a bit vague here. i assumed the only reason theyd look to trade him is $.  hes due 7m this year and like 8ish next year, highly underpaid. an elite TE on an extremely friendly team deal... if hes not talking about holding out, why would they deal him?

i understand they have minimal picks this year, but not sure how dealing a known strength for draft picks (lotto scratchers) helps a team that is NOT rebuilding... I don't think we could pay him, and I think were gunna have a hard time paying Knox as is....

so why give up assets for a TE, to let a really good one walk, to pay an elite guy elite $. just makes no sense for us. love the player though

Edited by BillsShredder83

1 hour ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Then what do we say to OJ Howard? "So...uh....OJ, thanks but no thanks. Good luck"

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

1 rb, 2 TEs, Waller in the slot. that vaunted '13' offense 😆

It would certainly be interesting. Defenses would be all messed up. Knox, Howard and Waller all on the field at the same time. There might just be something there

• Like (+1) 1

I don't see it.  To me if you did add Waller, you'd have to trade Knox and sign Waller to an extension.   

The only way you'd even come close to entertaining this, is if you project out Knox's potential contract and you're unwilling to pay it.  

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Slot WR?  He’s a pass catching TE.  He’s fantastic, but not practical.

The draft is TR.  We’ll know a lot

more by Sunday.

who lines up as WR...just like Pitts from Atlanta. These guys aren't TEs

They are still TE’s just as Pitts, Gronk, Brate, Waller and Knox.  If they were WR’s they would paid as such.  They are not.  Jimmy Graham and others have appealed to the NFL several times to pay them on the tag as WR’s, and the NFL has responded with a hard no.

What Knox does for us vs. Diggs is different.  Different skill sets, speed, adept at route running, etc.

So Waller will end up wherever he goes to the Raiders or somewhere else a top TE income, not WR $.

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

They are still TE’s just as Pitts, Gronk, Brate, Waller and Knox.  If they were WR’s they would paid as such.  They are not.  Jimmy Graham and others have appealed to the NFL several times to pay them on the tag as WR’s, and the NFL has responded with a hard no.

What Knox does for us vs. Diggs is different.  Different skill sets, speed, adept at route running, etc.

So Waller will end up wherever he goes to the Raiders or somewhere else a top TE income, not WR $.

Just because NFL won't pay them doesn't mean they are right. Pitts and Waller usually line up as WRs. Others not as much

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

You aren't getting Darren Waller for the 57th pick in the Draft. The Tight End market has gotten out of hand and Waller will command the highest contract, sooner rather than later, I'm sure.

We have Knox and just gave 3.2 million guaranteed to O.J. Howard. Neither are going anywhere this season. I can't help but laugh when we address a position and then something shinier comes along and people just want to pretend like the move never happened and disregard it. 

Teams don't hand millions guaranteed to a player and then replace them weeks later before they've even hit on the field. And we're not going to have 3 TE's active on Game Day or pay millions to someone who won't be active. Hell, we didn't even carry 3 TE's on the 53 man roster last season.

Its not nearly as outlandish as you’re making it seem.  The Bills have ZERO tight ends under contract beyond 2022.  ZERO.  They have met with all the top TE draft prospects - they clearly view it as a position of need.  Waller is more of a “big slot” (ahem) than a true TE; they also don’t have a slot WR on the roster beyond 2022.

12 hours ago, SCBills said:

It’s all over Twitter. 

Takes some of the shine out of the Adams move if they immediately move Waller. 

Renfrow Adams and Waller all sort of patrol the same portions of the field.  Waller is also not a particularly notable red zone threat - which is I think what buffalo needs more than a Waller type.  

3 hours ago, nucci said:

Just because NFL won't pay them doesn't mean they are right. Pitts and Waller usually line up as WRs. Others not as much

Nuccman, lots of TE’s are in this decade of TE’s lined up outside to spread out defenses.  They do that to Kelce all the time as well as others, but they still are TE’s.

WR’s have a different skill sets, than pass catching TE’s.  There’s just no way around that point.  It was the old days where TE’s were in line blockers.  Now they have to do it all.  If the team designates them as a TE, they are a TE.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.