TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - Completed!

Virgil

With the 48th pick in the 2022 TSW Mock Draft 2.0, the Chicago Bears select Alec Pierce, WR, Univ. of Cincinnati.

The Bears’ WR cupboard is bare, and Pierce was standing out at this point in round two…a big, fast, athletic receiver who is strong at the catch point…just what our young quarterback needs.

The N.O. Saints @Virgil are on the clock.

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Vikings (glazeduck) are on the clock

With the 49th pick in the 2022 TSW Mock Draft 2.0. the New Orleans Saints select John Metchie, WR Alabama

The Saints weren't in a great spot here with BPA and decided to go need.  Ideally, the Saints would have preferred to trade back in the draft, but with Metchie being their next rated WR, we didn't know how far we could drop and still get him.  We view Metchie as a Day 1 starter and someone who can grow with our brand new QB.

The Minnesota Vikings @glazeduckare on the clock

The Vikings are in a bit of a tricky spot here -- good talent still on the board at positions of need. They're kicking themselves for not making a small move up for Boye or Ebikitie, but with other talented prospects available, that didn't feel prudent. Travis Jones probably represents the best immediate impact/talent on the board, but NT is not a need and we spent on Harry, so that feels like a luxury pick. Woolen feels like the ideal prospect to learn under Peterson for a year or two, but we've tried the long/athletic CB early in drafts several times with less than great returns; McCreary, in a lot of ways is the polar opposite of Woolen, but offers a limited ceiling and likely ends up getting pigeonholed as a slot CB, which can be had later in the draft...

It's less of an immediate need, but with the 50th selection, the Minnesota Vikings select Skyy Moore, WR, Western Michigan. 

The Vikings offense is getting revamped, and, by the numbers, are a virtual guarantee to pass more. While Jefferson and Thielen offer one of the better dynamic duos in the league, no one really took hold of the #3 role last year and Thielen is reaching his age cliff. The Vikings clearly like WRs who can play inside and out, and while Moore could stand to improve his physicality in his route running, he has the ability to do that long term. In the short term, Moore should get plenty of room to work underneath with defenses focused elsewhere, and this could be significant with Irv Smith as really the only viable pass-catching TE on the roster. It's a bit of a surprise pick (even to myself!) but I like the fit here short and long-term.

The Eagles @H2o are on the clock.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

The Vikings are in a bit of a tricky spot here -- good talent still on the board at positions of need. They're kicking themselves for not making a small move up for Boye or Ebikitie, but with other talented prospects available, that didn't feel prudent. Travis Jones probably represents the best immediate impact/talent on the board, but NT is not a need and we spent on Harry, so that feels like a luxury pick. Woolen feels like the ideal prospect to learn under Peterson for a year or two, but we've tried the long/athletic CB early in drafts several times with less than great returns; McCreary, in a lot of ways is the polar opposite of Woolen, but offers a limited ceiling and likely ends up getting pigeonholed as a slot CB, which can be had later in the draft...

It's less of an immediate need, but with the 50th selection, the Minnesota Vikings select Skyy Moore, WR, Western Michigan. 

The Vikings offense is getting revamped, and, by the numbers, are a virtual guarantee to pass more. While Jefferson and Thielen offer one of the better dynamic duos in the league, no one really took hold of the #3 role last year and Thielen is reaching his age cliff. The Vikings clearly like WRs who can play inside and out, and while Moore could stand to improve his physicality in his route running, he has the ability to do that long term. In the short term, Moore should get plenty of room to work underneath with defenses focused elsewhere, and this could be significant with Irv Smith as really the only viable pass-catching TE on the roster. It's a bit of a surprise pick (even to myself!) but I like the fit here short and long-term.

The Eagles @H2o are on the clock.

Moore went at pick #40 :oops:

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Philo said:

Moore went at pick #40 :oops:

Well crap, that's what I get for drafting before the coffee kicked in. No wonder he felt like a value! 

Let's try that again... Rescinding all of the previous back-patting, and after triple-checking that he's not been taken yet, the Minnesota Vikings shamble up to the podium after being that team and selects Travis Jones, DL, UCONN. 

A negligible need at this point, but the best value. Jones has the quickness and agility, combined with intelligence and leverage to play DE in the Vikings 3-4 and the strength, base and power to back up NT. 

NOW the Eagles @H2o are on the clock.

• Like (+1) 2

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Eagles (H2o) are on the clock

With the 51st pick in the 2022 NFL Draft....the Philadelphia Eagles select.... Roger McCreary / CB / Auburn

We have our CB1 in Darius Slay, and our Slot CB in Avonte Maddux, but CB2 is a question mark. Despite everyone talking about his arm length, we like the size of the fight in this dog. Opposing QB's only had a 57 passer rating when targeting him, only allowing 34 catches on 75 targets. In that he had 13 PBU's, 2 INT's, and only allowed 1 TD reception all season. This is with the heavy dose of his games being against SEC competition. He faced the Jaylen Waddle's, the DeVonta Smith's, the Jameson Williams's, John Metchie's, the George Pickens's, the Wan'Dale Robinson's, the Velus Jones's, the Treyylon Burks's, and whatever other SEC WR you want to throw in there. Only allowed 1 TD all year in 830 defensive snaps. He also improved his game a lot from last year to this one. We like this pick here. 

@LEBills and the Steelers are on the clock. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Steelers (LEBills) are on the clock

With the 52nd pick in the 2022 TSW Mock Draft 2.0. the Pittsburgh Steelers select Jaquan Brisker, Safety, Penn State.

The Steelers had to check the board three times to make sure their eyes weren’t deceiving them and Brisker was still available. The versatile defender would be a perfect compliment to Minkah and fills the one starter spot we were missing after free agency.

Though we love him in coverage his physicality is exactly the type of attitude we like enforcing the back of our defense.

The Packers and @GunnerBill are now on the clock

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Packers (GunnerBill) are on the clock

If the Bills really are interested in Breece Hall, THIS is the pick they'd need to go get. 

No way are the Pats dealing with us and Arizona is a definite threat for him. A move of just a handful of spots in the 2nd is absolutely worth it at this point. 

Just now, glazeduck said:

If the Bills really are interested in Breece Hall, THIS is the pick they'd need to go get. 

No way are the Pats dealing with us and Arizona is a definite threat for him. A move of just a handful of spots in the 2nd is absolutely worth it at this point. 

I don't see any of the teams ahead of us taking a RB.

2 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Unfortunately, now someone will.  Just because you wrote this

3 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

We’re better off with Walker anyway 😉 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

Cardinals absolutely could and have been connected to him quite a bit in the pre-draft process.

Plus you also need to defend against teams behind you (Falcons, Bucs, Chiefs) leapfrogging you.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Unfortunately, now someone will.  Just because you wrote this

You're probably right, but isn't the idea to replicate the draft, not game it to where the best players fall to us?

We’re better off with Walker anyway 😉 

Agree to disagree. Walker might be a slightly better pure runner than Hall, but he's one of the top 10 5 cleanest RB prospects to come out in the past decade analytically. He checks every box.

Edited by glazeduck

With the 53rd pick in the TSW mock draft the Green Bay Packes select:

Drake Jackson, Edge, USC

After the trade for Deebo Samuel, which was arguably un-Packer like, I am back on trend drafting a developmental 3-4 outside linebacker. Z'Darius Smith is gone which leaves Green Bay with little depth behind Preston Smith and Rashan Gary who has slowly developed into a borderline elite edge player. This is too early for Jackson if you are a 4-3 team because he won't hold up against the run, but as a situational rusher in a 3-4 he is a nice fit for the Pack. 

@LEBills and the Steelers are on the clock.

Edited by GunnerBill

18 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

You're probably right, but isn't the idea to replicate the draft, not game it to where the best players fall to us?

Agree to disagree. Walker might be a slightly better pure runner than Hall, but he's one of the top 10 5 cleanest RB prospects to come out in the past decade analytically. He checks every box.

I guess I should have left out “unfortunately”.  I couldn’t care less who we get in a mock draft.  I suppose the goal of a mock draft is to replicate the real thing.  The idea of these mock drafts to me is to have fun.

the Walker comment was just a playful jab at the Hall worshippers.

• Like (+1) 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Steelers (LEBills) are on the clock

I guess I should have left out “unfortunately”.  I couldn’t care less who we get in a mock draft.  I suppose the goal of a mock draft is to replicate the real thing.  The idea of these mock drafts to me is to have fun.

the Walker comment was just a playful jab at the Hall worshippers.

I'm certainly not a "worshipper", there's a handful of other players on the board that I'd also be excited about (WOOLEN!!!!!) but I do think it would make a lot of sense if he really did fall that far.

2 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

I'm certainly not a "worshipper", there's a handful of other players on the board that I'd also be excited about (WOOLEN!!!!!) but I do think it would make a lot of sense if he really did fall that far.

I wasn’t talking about you being a worshipper…..

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

At this point, I hope someone takes Hall because we already had a RB drafted in round 2 in the last draft.  I won't list Walker again regardless, which makes me think everyone will go Hall

From a "fun" standpoint, I definitely agree. More fun to have a bit of a challenge. From a "go Bills" standpoint... hard to not want the #1 player at a position of need at this point...

Just now, NewEra said:

I wasn’t talking about you being a worshipper…..

Yep, same page. I meant my response more in general too.

• Like (+1) 1

With the 54th pick in the 2022 TSW Mock Draft 2.0. the Pittsburgh Steelers select Phidarian Mathis, DL, Alabama.

The Steelers DL is getting old and was ineffective against the run last year. Getting Mathis in the second round - who was a great run defender - is a great influx of youth to that rotation. 

This year is Mitch’s to show what he has as a starter in a less dysfunctional franchise. It was tempting to take a flyer at a QB in this position but we will instead punt that position and revisit next year if needed.

The Cardinals and @Bill from NYC are on the clock

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Cardinals (Bill from NYC) are on the clock
  • Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Cowboys (Just Joshin') are on the clock

With the 55th pick, the Arizona Cardinals select Perrion Winfrey, DT, Oklahoma.

Defensive Tackle was our round 1 goal, but the value wasn't there.  With Watt's injury history, we need better support on the line and Winfrey can provide that.

The Cowboys @Just Joshin'are on the clock

With the 56th selection, the Dallas Cowboys select Quay Walker, LB, Georgia.

The board is not kind when looking for a good DT prospect so moving to pure BPA.  Walker is #31 on the board and LB is the #3 need for the Cowboys.

Walker has lateral twitch and movement skills with outstanding mirroring skills vs. the run and uses his long arms to punch himself off blocks or lasso ball carriers out of his reach.  As he grows into the role, the Cowboys will have a top LB core.

The Buffalo Bills are on the clock @Virgil.

• Like (+1) 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Bills (TSW Poll) are on the clock
  • Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Falcons (CNYFan) are on the clock
1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I mean it’s a fun draft I like both players selected in one and two I’m just trying to figure out what we’re going to do at corner

Drafting one in round 3 and/or signing a serviceable vet after draft?

I guess we are doing the latter no matter what we are just waiting for draft to know how much we need to invest.

The Atlanta Falcons select Daniel Faalale  Offensive Lineman from Minnesota

The Falcons looked hard at Ridder and Howell here but still don't have a strong (2nd round) belief in these Quarterbacks. Building close to the ball and finding a piece that they believe will be a quality starter in the NFL they go with a versatile offensive lineman from the Big Ten.  The Falcons have selected 4 players, all with a solid chance of contributing next year and growing together as building blocks of this rebuild.  The Falcons have two more choices in the 3rd round and figure to be picking top 10 next year as well.   

So, they are satisfied with the haul.

The Packers @GunnerBill are on the clock

Edited by CNYfan
spelling

With the 59th pick of the 2022 TSW Mock Draft the Green Bay Packers select:

Nicholas Petit-Frere, Offensive Tackle, Ohio State 

The Packers have really prioritised being strong up front in the Aaron Rodgers era. But their offensive line depth has taken a hit over the past couple of years. In 2021 they lost Corey Lindsay their starting center and Rick Wagner their right tackle. They then moved guard Billy Turner to right tackle for the 2021 season only for him to return to Denver in free agency this spring. To make matters worse their swing tackle Dennis Kelly is currently not back with the team, although he remains unsigned. They have talked about moving pro bowl guard Elgton Jenkins to right tackle to fill the void, after he played left tackle last year before landing on IR to cover for former all pro tackle David Bhaktiari is now 30 and has played just 15 games in the last two years. Jenkins is still best at guard and by drafting Petit-Frere I am trying to build a path to get him back inside. Petit-Frere still requires some refinement but I think he has the ability to end up as a good starting tackle in the NFL. We are going to give him a shot to win the right tackle job in camp, but if he needs a bit more development I am content to take it slowly and have him ready for mid-season. 

The Tampa Bay Bradys and @RyanC883 are now on the clock. 

The Packers are satisfied with their draft haul from the first two rounds. We wanted to come away with two receivers who we thought could have an impact now and high ceiling prospects on the offensive lineman and at edge rusher who may only be rotational / backup pieces as rookies but who will improve our depth and ultimately step in as starters either later in the season or in 2023. 

Treylon Burks

Deebo Samuel (via trade)

Drake Jackson

Nicholas Petit-Frere

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Bucs.(RyanC883) are on the clock

With the 60th selection, the Bucs select Cole Strange, OG, Chattanooga.  

The Bucs have lost both of their OGs from last season, and while they filled one via trade with the Pats**, they are very thin here.  To keep the running game going and Brady upright, they need an OG.  Despite Strange coming from a small school, the Bucs pick him because of his performance at the Senior Bowl, and because the Bucs last IOL picks have come from no higher than Division II.  This is a great fit, and it would be strange to pass on him (see what I did there!) 

The 49ers @BigdaddyinOrlando are on the clock.  

• Sad 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The 49ers.(BigdaddyinOrlando) are on the clock

Abraham Lucas OT Washington St

He's too upright as a drive blocker and too lumbering to get to lateral and second-level blocks. In pass protection, however, his length and power make him a wider target to circumvent for rushers, while his patience and core strength make him tougher to counter. His need for tight end help when protecting against true edge speed could be a catalyst for a move inside to guard. Lucas is scheme-limited but has eventual starting potential at either right tackle or guard.

The Chiefs and @NewEraare now on the clock

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.