Derek Carr Contract

aristocrat

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

The arms race in that division is going to leave a corpse of a team left standing......which we will wipe the floor with

AFC west will be very tough but here’s a huge problem for the team that finishes 2nd in the conference. You’re likely facing an angry battle tested AFC west 7th seed in the 1st round of the playoffs. Makes getting the 1st seed that much more important.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

People call them middling because they haven't really shown they can be a threat, and Carr doesn't scare anyone in a Conference with multiple elite QB's.  Losing to the Bengals in the WC Round isn't exactly impressive...it's basically what they seem to be until further notice... a good team that will be a playoff contender, but if they make it - Carr vs (insert elite QB) becomes an issue for them. 

True. No team goes in with a game plan of how to stop Derek Carr. But, now he has a quality offense around him. The OL is decent, Jacobs is a top 10 RB, Waller may be a top 5 TE, Renfrow has developed into one of the best Slot WR's in the NFL, and Adams is certainly a top 5 WR. Add to that Carr already has chemistry with Adams from their time together at Fresno St. and the Raiders could take a nice step forward. Sucks for them to be in the AFC West, but they have built a solid team out there. Eli Manning won multiple SB's (shout out to Eli beating the Pats, TWICE :thumbsup:), Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Joe Flacco, and Nick Foles. It's not always the greatest QB winning the big game. 

53 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

Tiers:

Tier 1:  Allen, Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Burrow

Tier 2:  Herbert, Stafford, Wilson, Lamar

Tier 3: Dak, Cousins, Carr, Tannehill, Murray

Tier 4: Ryan, Baker, Lawrence, Jimmy G

Tier 5: Tua, Goff, Jameis, Wentz, Mac

Tier 6: Fields, Hurts, Mariotta, Darnold

Tier 7: Mitch, Jones, Mills, Zach Wilson, Watson 

Yes, Carr is a top 15 QB every week.  

I like the ranking but one I wildly disagree with, Watson is not even close to the same category as Mitch and as for the rest in that tier. too young to make a determination.  Watson belongs in Tier 1 or at worst 2 imo.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

Tiers:

Tier 1:  Allen, Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Burrow

Tier 2:  Herbert, Stafford, Wilson, Lamar

Tier 3: Dak, Cousins, Carr, Tannehill, Murray

Tier 4: Ryan, Baker, Lawrence, Jimmy G

Tier 5: Tua, Goff, Jameis, Wentz, Mac

Tier 6: Fields, Hurts, Mariotta, Darnold

Tier 7: Mitch, Jones, Mills, Zach Wilson, Watson 

Yes, Carr is a top 15 QB every week.  

Jared Goff > Ryan Tannehill.

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

This is starting to look like the Bills signed Josh to the Dollar Store franchise quarterback deal 

Dollars compared to other QB's isn't super comforting to me. I mean, I guess it is to feel like I have value. But his $$$ is still a very significant % of the cap going forward. Next year Allen, Diggs, and Miller together are going to take up just over 1/3 of our total cap space next year and the year after. 

The Bills pushed all their chips to the middle of the table this year. I am fine with it. But it will cost us in the next 2-3 years no matter what Derek Carr gets paid. 

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

A star? No. I do think he is underrated though. And as discussed multiple times.... the QB market is inefficiently recognising the difference between the franchise tier and the elite tier. It is what it is. Your alternative is don't have a QB. 

If this is a 3 year extension onto his final year of his previous deal then that makes it 4 years at $35m per year. I think that is right about where his value is in this market.

Very much this. He's not "elite" tier, but he can certainly be considered one of the upper tier QB's & a "star" by some standards. We've also seen what Carr is capable of doing when healthy & with competent coaching/teammates, but people forget how much of a s*** show the Raiders have been for years.

Gruden didn't help things (if anything, he set it all back once again), the lackluster personnel, his own injuries, the tough division, maybe even the relocation, probably has made Carr look more inconsistent than he really is. I'm not saying he's a Mahomes or Allen type QB, only that he's better than just an "above average QB" & can successfully be built around to win.

4 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

If Carr got that amount of jack, then we completely screwed Josh on his contract.  What a steal.

Josh got to secure his future, the Bills took a risk after one good year, it was calculated well by both.  Josh also got an exorbitant amount of guarantees (at the time), so he got what he needed.  The beautiful thing for him, he’s going to re-set it all again in a few years.  He signed a very smart deal.

38 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

I like the ranking but one I wildly disagree with, Watson is not even close to the same category as Mitch and as for the rest in that tier. too young to make a determination.  Watson belongs in Tier 1 or at worst 2 imo.

Agreed, I’d have Watson at tier 2 until he’s back on the field and showing success outside of trash time. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

No, he’s an above average starter that you can win with …but won’t win “because of him” if things wilt around him

I will say this, I wasn't too high on Carr prior to last year.  However, they did win quite a few games because of him, lots of late game heroics despite the coaching turmoil and a weak group of WR's with the exception of Renfrow.  So I would say this is a good extension for the Raiders, it would be hard to upgrade from him and I would say he is better than above average.  More like good, but not great.  Personally I would take Carr over someone like Cousins.  

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

A star? No. I do think he is underrated though. And as discussed multiple times.... the QB market is inefficiently recognising the difference between the franchise tier and the elite tier. It is what it is. Your alternative is don't have a QB. 

If this is a 3 year extension onto his final year of his previous deal then that makes it 4 years at $35m per year. I think that is right about where his value is in this market.

Agreed Bill...he isn't top 10, but I think he is certainly in the top 15.  In no particular order, I would list them like this...

Top 5:  (In no particular order) Allen, Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Watson (until Watson shows me he is not top 5 on the field, I am going with what he had been before missing a year, and that was a top 5 QB, which I fully expect him to be again at some point after coming back).  

Top 6-10: (In no particular order) Herbert, Lamar, Wilson, Burrow, Stafford.  

Then I would go:

11 - Prescott

12 - Murray

13 - Carr

Ryan and Cousins would round out the top 15 for me in which ever order, they are closely graded to me at this point.  

The Raiders organization was a mess last year. GM fired, Gruden resigns, Ruggs killed someone, cb Damon Arnette had a hit and run incident. Through all of this, he guided them to the Playoffs, beating the Chargers to eliminate them and getting in themselves. That's a helluva lot to go through.  He's not garbage. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I will say this, I wasn't too high on Carr prior to last year.  However, they did win quite a few games because of him, lots of late game heroics despite the coaching turmoil and a weak group of WR's with the exception of Renfrow.  So I would say this is a good extension for the Raiders, it would be hard to upgrade from him and I would say he is better than above average.  More like good, but not great.  Personally I would take Carr over someone like Cousins.  

Agreed Bill...he isn't top 10, but I think he is certainly in the top 15.  In no particular order, I would list them like this...

Top 5:  (In no particular order) Allen, Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Watson (until Watson shows me he is not top 5 on the field, I am going with what he had been before missing a year, and that was a top 5 QB, which I fully expect him to be again at some point after coming back).  

Top 6-10: (In no particular order) Herbert, Lamar, Wilson, Burrow, Stafford.  

Then I would go:

11 - Prescott

12 - Murray

13 - Carr

Ryan and Cousins would round out the top 15 for me in which ever order, they are closely graded to me at this point.  

I'd probably swap Dak and Lamar but I can't really quibble. Those are broadly the tiers I'd have too. 

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd probably swap Dak and Lamar but I can't really quibble. Those are broadly the tiers I'd have too. 

Yeah, I think when you are in about that range there a couple guys that could slide here or there.  And I wouldn't quibble over that either.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.