Derek Carr Contract

aristocrat

23 minutes ago, MJS said:

Is he really a star QB?

Yes. Is he a "superstar"? No.

He's been throw a helllll of a career. Between that organization, awful drafts, Henry Ruggs, Jon Gruden, lack of weapons, etc. and if you go look at his career... he's a star. I think this year we'll be able to see that. I mean they went to the playoffs with Zay Jones as their #1 receiver ........... 

• Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, dneveu said:

He finally made the playoffs in year 8.  Thea team couldn't run the ball very well at all so most of the offense ran through him.  

Adams, Renfrow, Waller - i think they're going to pass even more this year too.  Jacobs and Drake probably get more involved in a mcdaniels offense.  I think it'll look a bit like the chargers with all the short passes, and carr is equipped to do well in that style of offense.   

Josh Jacobs is a pretty good back he should excel In McDaniels system 

41 minutes ago, H2o said:

Carr isn't a bad QB. He's solid and strung together a decent 4 year stretch. It's Cousins/Dak type of $$$ like I expected. When you average it out over 4 years it's also quite team friendly. For the people talking about LV being a "middling" team? They added a legit star pass rusher to go along with Crosby in Chandler Jones. They also added a Top 5 WR in Adams to go with Renfrow, Waller, and Jacobs. This is after making the playoffs last year and losing to the eventual AFC Champs by one score in the first round.  

People call them middling because they haven't really shown they can be a threat, and Carr doesn't scare anyone in a Conference with multiple elite QB's.  Losing to the Bengals in the WC Round isn't exactly impressive...it's basically what they seem to be until further notice... a good team that will be a playoff contender, but if they make it - Carr vs (insert elite QB) becomes an issue for them. 

• Like (+1) 1

Derek Carr is the AFC's version of Kirk Cousins

Not going to win anything significant because of him, but too scared to get rid of him and start fresh

If I were a Raiders fan, I'd be thrilled to have been in QB purgatory for the last 10+ seasons and just signing up for at least 4 more

• Agree 2

With the insane inflation we're seeing at QB contracts I have to wonder if Allen and Mahomes will be content with theirs or if they'll demand a new deal. 

Josh's 6 year deal doesn't kick in until next season, and he'll probably be underpaid by at least 10 million that season. By year 6 he could easily be underpaid by 25+ million. 

I think it is time we realize, anytime somebody gets an extension, we are going to think they are getting over-paid.  Carr is decent...he just happens to be playing in an era where the game has changed so much, that about a third of the rosters in the league have a QB that will likely retire as that franchises best QB of all-time, statistically.  

Edited by Buftex

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

I’m a little surprised that high, but they need a QB.  They weren’t going to draft one.  He’s serviceable, but not worth that much.  With their acquisitions this off season, they probably want continuity at QB.

Brady's contract w Tampa Bay is $14 mil this year.....(yes)   That makes Tampa Bay the fav for the Superbowl as they can afford the free agent pieces around him to stack the roster.  Perhaps they will give him a raise though.

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

If Carr got that amount of jack, then we completely screwed Josh on his contract.  What a steal.

I think Josh knows he could have held on trying to get more, but he also knows he’s got generational money coming in regardless. Josh is far more likely to restructure to allow for a better team around him and more wins than he is to ask for more. Just how I see him. He’s got plenty and I don’t think it will ever be an ego thing like a certain QB in Green Bay. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It seems that the Raiders would be better off finding a new quarterback, one that has the potential to win big in the NFL.  Carr does not seem to be that guy, has never won a playoff game.

I know his stats seem to paint a different picture, one of a top tier NFL quarterback, but that is not the case.

I wonder if the teams that sign players like this know what everyone else knows, and that they just go with the easier, safer option.

That is a huge amount of money for a middling, inconsistent quarterback/team leader.

Edited by Mister Defense

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

Why? They're the second best team in that division right now. 

-Charger

-Raiders

-Broncos

-Chiefs 

1 hour ago, aristocrat said:

No, they may be equal to the broncos. Maybe.  Chiefs chargers better. 

I guess this is why we play the games?  I don’t know what to make of that division, especially Denver, but I’m glad the Bills don’t play in it! Let them all beat the tar out of each other, and let the playoffs run thru Buffalo! 

I sincerely don't understand the hate for DC and never have. That org is TRASH and he just went to the playoffs with his #1 WR being lost to murder charges. 

The next best receiver is Zay Jones and then a slot receiver that runs a 4.6 40. 

ALL while having a subpar defense and losing his coach halfway through the year.............. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think Josh knows he could have held on trying to get more, but he also knows he’s got generational money coming in regardless. Josh is far more likely to restructure to allow for a better team around him and more wins than he is to ask for more. Just how I see him. He’s got plenty and I don’t think it will ever be an ego thing like a certain QB in Green Bay. 

Josh's true market value is somewhere north of $50M/year.  Bills will bank at least $8M/yr over the life of Josh's contract.  A steal by any other name....

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Mister Defense said:

It seems that the Raiders would be better off finding a new quarterback, one that has the potential to win big in the NFL.  Carr does not seem to be that guy, has never won a playoff game.

I wonder if the teams that sign players like this know what everyone else knows, and that they just go with the easier, safer option.

That is a huge amount of money for a middling, inconsistent quarterback/team leader.

I think Carr has been absolutely solid for his entire career .. just on shitshow team/shitshow organization.  He's durable, accurate, professional.  I've always loved the guy and I think the Raiders were very wise to secure him (if they can commit to giving him some talent to work with).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.