Pounding the table for Christian Watson at 25

Vickveto

1 minute ago, Putin said:

Sorry not at 25 but I wouldn’t mind trading up in the second round for him if we take a CB in round one 

If he turn into the next Moss, Claypool, Metcalf, there is nothing even a very good corner can do about it 1v1.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

There's a lot to like, physically. It's fair to wonder though, why he didn't absolutely dominate in lower division CFB. That's what's keeping me from getting fully onboard. NFL draft history is littered with tons of height/weight/speed freaks who couldn't play WR.

At 25 he'd be a pass for me. Moving down (or up from our 2) and he'd be more interesting...

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

None of the higher rated WRs were at the Senior Bowl, so “best WR at the Senior Bowl” is nice, but doesn’t necessarily mean that he is a first round pick.

Don’t get me wrong, I like what I have seen of him, he is a great athlete beyond just his 40 time and he has outstanding size, but drops and level of competition leave me wondering.  Mid-2nd?  Sure.  Pick 25 with screaming need at corner, I would think risk and opportunity cost too high.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

There's a lot to like, physically. It's fair to wonder though, why he didn't absolutely dominate in lower division CFB. That's what's keeping me from getting fully onboard. NFL draft history is littered with tons of height/weight/speed freaks who couldn't play WR.

At 25 he'd be a pass for me. Moving down (or up from our 2) and he'd be more interesting...

He was the best wide receiver at the senior bowl. He is more than height/weight/speed

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Vickveto said:

He was the best wide receiver at the senior bowl. He is more than height/weight/speed

That's great. He's a 5th year college player who -- IN A LOWER DIVISION -- never averaged more than 3 1/2 recs a game in any of his seasons. The Sr. Bowl is a handful of games where he was one of the oldest players there. His 5 year career in college, again, in a lower division, shouldn't be ignored...

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Little Dog said:

At 25? Only if he cover wide receivers .  2nd round… I’m in 

Everybody wants him in the second round. That means his value is going to go up he will not make it out of the first round he might not even make it till 25.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

Give me Jahan Dotson 1000x before Watson, at least in Round 1.  If we wait until Round 2, Watson would be a nice trade up candidate.

Dotson is the 2nd best deep ball WR in this class, and if you watch him play, reminds of AB (w/o the drama). 

I don't know about trading up for Datson either, BUT, he's a FAR safer prospect than Watson, so certainly with you on that end...

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Vickveto said:

Everybody wants him in the second round. That means his value is going to go up he will not make it out of the first round he might not even make it till 25.

You may be right , but if I’d rather have a top corner with this pick 

• Sad 1

He's one of my favorite WR fits for what Buffalo's looking for. There was a time when I was all in on him as our 2nd Round pick. When I do mock draft simulations, I always take him if he's on the board in Round 2.

However, he reportedly has been flying up Draft Boards and could now be selected at the end of Round 1. I think 25 is too high for him. If there's a run at CB and WR where 5 CB's and 6 WR's are taken in Round 1 - maybe. 

But I think my strategy is CB Round 1 and then if he's on the board at the top of Round 2, try and trade up. Or if it does fall that way where 11 of the first 24 picks are CB's and WR's, I'd try and trade down for in an extra pick in Round 2 or 3 and maybe Watson is one of those top picks a little later than 25.

Edited by BillsFanForever19
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

That's great. He's a 5th year college player who -- IN A LOWER DIVISION -- never averaged more than 3 1/2 recs a game in any of his seasons. The Sr. Bowl is a handful of games where he was one of the oldest players there. His 5 year career in college, again, in a lower division, shouldn't be ignored...

Who was his QB in college, though? Now imagine Josh Allen throwing to him...👍

I would take him over Olave...

Edited by JaCrispy
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I love how they say he is 5 of 2557 on RAS but don’t bother mentioning the top 4, which would have been easy.  Are any of them any good?

We’re any of them consider the best wide receiver at the senior bowl?

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I have been doing some re-watches over the weekend and I moved Watson up AGAIN on my board. He is now my 23rd overall player. I can see a scenario where he is the guy I want at #25. 

Just my opinion, but Dotson is a smoother route runner/fluid and will be the better NFL prospect. 

Watson obviously didn't play in a pass heavy offense, and he played at a much lower level, so there's some "projection" of course.  Not the type of player I want in Round 1, if other proven guys are there.

1 minute ago, MasterStrategist said:

Just my opinion, but Dotson is a smoother route runner/fluid and will be the better NFL prospect. 

Watson obviously didn't play in a pass heavy offense, and he played at a much lower level, so there's some "projection" of course.  Not the type of player I want in Round 1, if other proven guys are there.

I think Dotson is a slot only in the NFL because he struggles to get off press. That is my big concern with him. I mean I don't have them miles apart. Watson is my WR6, Dotson is my WR7. But to me if you are drafting Dotson you are drafting him to play in the slot. I have both as high 2nds. Dotson higher floor, Watson definitely higher ceiling IMO. 

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

You cited the 5 of 2557 thing, not me.  Is it meaningful?  Who are the other 4?  

I believe one of them was Megatron. I remember hearing somewhere that he was a perfect 10 RAS. 

I am NOT saying Watson is Megatron to be clear haha!

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Dotson is a slot only in the NFL because he struggles to get off press. That is my big concern with him. I mean I don't have them miles apart. Watson is my WR6, Dotson is my WR7. But to me if you are drafting Dotson you are drafting him to play in the slot. I have both as high 2nds. Dotson higher floor, Watson definitely higher ceiling IMO. 

Fair enough, I think he got alot stronger  heading into senior season, so I see him having ability to really flourish in a system like ours (moving all around).  Especially think he could become a future WR1, learning beside Diggs.

Unfortunately I think the Packers will use the acquired pick from Raiders to draft him at #21. 

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I like Dotson as a slot too and that’s not a bad thing. Diggs and Gabe outside so need a playmaker in the slot anyways right?

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Never heard of Matt Jones but the other 3 were pretty good!

He was DK Metcalf-like size/speed athlete who was a star QB in the SEC but didn't have much in the "want to" department.  

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.