Whaley interviewing for Steelers GM

YoloinOhio

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

He was the GM for the Tre draft, people want to blame him for Buddy Nix drafting Manuel and give McD credit for Tre, that’s BS.

He was the GM for the Tre draft, people want to blame him for Buddy Nix drafting Manuel and give McD credit for Tre, that’s BS.

Not by me, I blame Buddy for the EJ pick and Whaley for keeping him on the team so long.

As for who picked Tre, Whaley was fired the day after the draft.:doh:

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

LOL!  Whaley was sidelined for that draft because he was on his way out. He was so angry about being ignored that he actually left the draft room.  McDermott ran that draft and Whaley was fired the day after it concluded. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Saw the video the Bills put out when they hired McDermott when he arrived at the facility and was shown around. McDermott was in a suit, Whaley was in sweats.

Pic:

whaley.jpg

You can see this in the video starting at 1:37 [which I now see was already posted by @Warcodered]:

Edited by chongli

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

It’s not that he wasn’t methodical…he just had no idea how to build a team.  Some of his picks were ok, but his strength was mostly pro personnel.  

I don’t think you want Whaley as GM

I want him as GM for Pittsburgh 😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

He had far better results in FA than Beane has had yet, go look at it and tell me I’m wrong.

Lorax, Incognito, Tyrod (those were the good or at least decent ones).

vs.

Beasely, Brown, Morse, Feliciano, Andre Roberts, Star, Trent Murphy, Addison, D Williams, Sanders, Taiwan Jones

Von Miller.....

30 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Lorax, Incognito, Tyrod (those were the good or at least decent ones).

vs.

Beasely, Brown, Morse, Feliciano, Andre Roberts, Star, Trent Murphy, Addison, D Williams, Sanders, Taiwan Jones

Von Miller.....

Lorax, Incognito, and Tyrod were all just guys Rex Ryan wanted. So I am not sure I can give him credit there, at the same time I don’t blame him for the Shaq Lawson and Reggie Ragland picks because again that’s what Rex wanted. 

6 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Lorax, Incognito, and Tyrod were all just guys Rex Ryan wanted. So I am not sure I can give him credit there, at the same time I don’t blame him for the Shaq Lawson and Reggie Ragland picks because again that’s what Rex wanted. 

Well I was trying to give Whaley credit for something....

• Agree 2

when I think of Whaley I recall his tenure as relating to both Tyrod Taylor as well as Marcel Dareus. I looked at wiki for Dareus just now to reflect on that entire span of time and saw this quote OOF. It is just a trivia I found interesting. The one that got away.

On October 27, 2017, Dareus was traded to the Jacksonville Jaguars for a conditional 2018 sixth-round draft pick, which became a 5th round pick that was used to select Wyatt Teller

Edited by muppy

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Whaley worked for the Steelers for 10 years rising to be a pro personnel coordinator before accepting the Buffalo Bills job as Assistant general manager.

He is familiar with organization which is advantage to him. 

He unfortunately is a poor public speaker and should (already should have) lessons to help him.

He would be better as an assistant rather than "face" of franchise.

If he is smart he will not rule out being part of staff if he does not get GM role.

Worst case was when he said he wasn’t involved in decision to fire Rex Ryan and then was sent out to talk to the press.

4 hours ago, somnus00 said:

Not a popular opinion here, but I liked Whaley. Ialways felt that he was in a terrible position here. Meddling owner, had Nix as a weird co-GM/boss/mentor hybrid. Russ Brandon 'nuff said. Then he had Rex shoved down his throat.

I'm not saying he would've been great. But he certainly wasn't given a real shot.

Agreed

I always cracked up when Brandon called Whaley, "Whales."  

Two clowns who've been thankfully DFA'd from the Buffalo Bills forever.  The irony is, at the end of Rex's final season, Whaley undermined RR through his contacts and at OBD to get his own swing at a HC (after Marrone was hired by Brandon and Rex was a Pegula decision).  Then, he winds up T/K Pegs hiring McD who could see how terrible he was as a GM.  

Maybe he finds his way back to the NFL, but being out for 5 years without finding a front office position speaks volumes.  Good luck to Pittsburgh if they hire him. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Robert Paulson said:

Rex had more power which screwed whaley

Maybe…but that was part of the problem.  Doug always had an issue with his HC whether it was Doug Marrone or Rex.  There always seemed to be some kind of conflict or turmoil which made its way into the press.  This is what I mean by Whaley not being a great GM.  It’s more than drafting or signing FA.  It’s about having a long term vision and building a culture and organization.  He seemed to be very much inept at doing this.  

Not sure that working for the XFL is going to change that 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I didn't mind some of the moves he made, but he wasn't as consistent or methodical as Beane. Didn't care for his personality at times, wither. Still seems like a good fit for Pittsburgh.

That Hughes trade was righteous.

Hard to be consistent and methodical when you don’t get to pick the head coach. Can buy good ingredients but when the owners change chef and menu… 

he had his faults but so did the organization. I’d be curious if he stuck in Pittsburgh what his resume would look like by comparison

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.