Whaley interviewing for Steelers GM

YoloinOhio

Whaley worked for the Steelers for 10 years rising to be a pro personnel coordinator before accepting the Buffalo Bills job as Assistant general manager.

He is familiar with organization which is advantage to him. 

He unfortunately is a poor public speaker and should (already should have) lessons to help him.

He would be better as an assistant rather than "face" of franchise.

If he is smart he will not rule out being part of staff if he does not get GM role.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I still think Whaley could be a good personnel guy in the NFL. He has an eye for talent. But from what I’ve seen of him I don’t think he has the right skill set to be a GM. I know he has to deal with all sorts of meddling from Ralph Wilson lifers so it wasn’t all on him but seeing how he operated vs. Beane… yeah. No contest.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Whaley worked for the Steelers for 10 years rising to be a pro personnel coordinator before accepting the Buffalo Bills job as Assistant general manager.

He is familiar with organization which is advantage to him. 

He unfortunately is a poor public speaker and should (already should have) lessons to help him.

He would be better as an assistant rather than "face" of franchise.

If he is smart he will not rule out being part of staff if he does not get GM role.

Saw the video the Bills put out when they hired McDermott when he arrived at the facility and was shown around. McDermott was in a suit, Whaley was in sweats.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

I didn't mind some of the moves he made, but he wasn't as consistent or methodical as Beane. Didn't care for his personality at times, wither. Still seems like a good fit for Pittsburgh.

That Hughes trade was righteous.

Whaley was better than he gets credit for here.  His biggest down fall was being forced to try and find a franchise QB in a horrific draft for QBs.  And never getting that right QB in place is a death nail in most GMs jobs.  

I think he could do well in Pitt.  Unfortunately for him, it’s another weak QB class to be hunting for a QB.  But at least they don’t have to take one this year if they wanna see what Mitch can do first.

So if Whaley gets the gig, if I was him I would avoid this years draft to take a QB early and target next year if Mitch doesn’t take hold the job this season.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 4

Said when he was fired from here that one day he will be a GM again. Still believe that today

Guy could assemble/identify talented players, the other aspects of the GM job he struggled. Contracts/speaking/culture

Probably a very good assistant GM or needs to go where culture and process have been clearly established in my opinion 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Not a popular opinion here, but I liked Whaley. Ialways felt that he was in a terrible position here. Meddling owner, had Nix as a weird co-GM/boss/mentor hybrid. Russ Brandon 'nuff said. Then he had Rex shoved down his throat.

I'm not saying he would've been great. But he certainly wasn't given a real shot.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6

You all remember Whaley a lot different than I do.  His signings were bad and his drafts were bad.  He had no authority when he spoke.  What would have happened if Whaley had the same thing happen to him the Washington did to Beane?  Washington ain't doing that junk anymore.

1 minute ago, somnus00 said:

Not a popular opinion here, but I liked Whaley. Ialways felt that he was in a terrible position here. Meddling owner, had Nix as a weird co-GM/boss/mentor hybrid. Russ Brandon 'nuff said. Then he had Rex shoved down his throat.

I'm not saying he would've been great. But he certainly wasn't given a real shot.

This is quite the opposite of what he had.  Wilson wasn't even involved when Whaley was here in charge

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

What would have happened if Whaley had the same thing happen to him the Washington did to Beane?  Washington ain't doing that junk anymore.

This is a weird comparison. I think WFT would do it again in a heartbeat, regardless of how Beane reacted. It's just how they're run.

Hands down, Beane is a much better leader. I agree with the previous poster, Whaley was a great talent evaluator, but struggled with every other aspect of GMing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.