Whaley interviewing for Steelers GM

YoloinOhio

59 minutes ago, Rico said:

That’s pretty putrid. I don’t believe he ever hired his own coach either, he was just speaking the company line.

it should be noted that neither Brandon nor Whaley would’ve been subjected to the same amount of ridicule if it weren’t for the vocal minority of posters who insisted that they did a great job for the Bills.

I agree. Just saying I do think buftex has the record correct that he never hired a coach. Russ hired Marrone and the Pegulas hired Ryan.

It seems telling that he was here for two coaching searches under two different ownership/management teams and despite being the General Manager nobody ever trusted him enough to hire a coach. Bizarre that if you think about it.

8 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Say it 3 times and I will appear.

Thought Whaley did a decent job. I said, for a fact, that he had a ton of respect still in Pittsburgh. No one wanted to believe it at the time. I think that him interviewing validates what I was told. The Rooney family and Kevin Colbert think very highly of him as a talent evaluator. 

This was an odd time to try to call me out when it is proving what you (and others) disputed.

Where the ***** have you been dude

4 hours ago, Rico said:

That’s pretty putrid. I don’t believe he ever hired his own coach either, he was just speaking the company line.

it should be noted that neither Brandon nor Whaley would’ve been subjected to the same amount of ridicule if it weren’t for the vocal minority of posters who insisted that they did a great job for the Bills.

Rico, you hate everyone! :)

I never claimed Whaley did a "great job", just making the case that he gets blamed for a lot of things that were out of his control.  

9 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Rico, you hate everyone! :)

I never claimed Whaley did a "great job", just making the case that he gets blamed for a lot of things that were out of his control.  

Oh, I never labeled you as an apologist. :) 

… and I’ve got nothing but love for the Bills front office and players since they cleaned house and got rid of Ralph’s trash. :wub:
You won’t find me slamming Tremaine or Leslie Frazier, you can’t even find me slamming Peterman!0:)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 3/19/2022 at 7:52 PM, Rico said:

Always good to see the die-hard, hardcore Whaley fans get together every now and then. :thumbsup:  

Where’s CBiscuit97? Kirby Jackson?

10 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Thought Whaley did a decent job. I said, for a fact, that he had a ton of respect still in Pittsburgh. No one wanted to believe it at the time. I think that him interviewing validates what I was told. The Rooney family and Kevin Colbert think very highly of him as a talent evaluator. 

This was an odd time to try to call me out when it is proving what you (and others) disputed.

6 hours ago, Rico said:

This is a really good example of why that isn't the case. 

Whaley was mediocre. He go fired. OK. But guys like Kirby with a reasonable and measured response get called out of hibernation for no real reason other than for you to rag on them for a pretty measured and knowledgeable opinion. But sure, flame away that your criticisms are the fault of everybody else. 

Whaley was mediocre. There were some organizational issues that made him as a GM worse than maybe he deserved to be He made some good moves while he was here. But not enough. It is what it is. I don't think anybody is arguing that Whaley is some super special commodity. You seem to be the only one out here trying to prove what a POS he was. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 2

13 minutes ago, Mango said:

This is a really good example of why that isn't the case. 

Whaley was mediocre. He go fired. OK. But guys like Kirby with a reasonable and measured response get called out of hibernation for no real reason other than for you to rag on them for a pretty measured and knowledgeable opinion. But sure, flame away that your criticisms are the fault of everybody else. 

Whaley was mediocre. There were some organizational issues that made him as a GM worse than maybe he deserved to be He made some good moves while he was here. But not enough. It is what it is. I don't think anybody is arguing that Whaley is some super special commodity. You seem to be the only one out here trying to prove what a POS he was. 

Actually, if you go thru the thread, I haven’t done too much here other than ‘like’ some posts, correct the Jerry Hughes trade revisionist history, and add perspective as to why he was subject to ridicule… and yes, state that I am enjoying the thread, just like any Brandon/Whaley thread. :D

Edited by Rico

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2022 at 2:20 AM, Buftex said:

Yeah, but he is still an employee...gotta make the boss happy, or be an ex-employee

Integrity is worth it and you’ll not make a fool of yourself by compromising it. He should’ve quit if he wasn’t on board, plain and simple, bc it is likely the reason he hasn’t  had an NFL FO job since.  He ended up an ex-employee anyway and you have to be strong and willing to step out if you don’t agree with the organization.  You can still do it with dignity, and preserve your career.  Being complicit seems to have been his MO and we can make all the excuses in the world for what held him back, but let’s be real he was part of the problem.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Doug Whaley, ladies and gentleman.

he thinks the salary cap is  something that goes on your head. 

What a clown show he is. I felt embarrassed any time that guy opened his mouth. It was really hard to get past his poor communication skills when he was here, and there's no sense rehashing his track record here. What a joke.

Whaley just made it on NFLR as a regular I think yesterday or at least a fill in for the regulars.  He was on the opening drive with Solomon Wilcots.

As far as his previous GM experience, he did too much patchwork, vs. having a methodical plan like Beane.

I don’t dislike the guy, but rather he is a pro personnel scouting kind of guy.

Maybe the second time around he improves on his mistakes.  Carroll improved the second go around from the Jets to eventually the Hawks.  You could say the same about BB from Cleveland to NE.  I know these are coaching examples, but you get the point.

He seems like a much better fit than the other two.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 3/21/2022 at 5:48 AM, Kirby Jackson said:

Welcome back. You were missed. 

Truth be told, you were called for earlier but the phone was off the hook

24 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Welcome back. You were missed. 

Truth be told, you were called for earlier but the phone was off the hook

Lol, I have a text chain with a bunch of these dudes but it’s on mute because it dings every 5 minutes 😂😂. I may have been alerted and missed the message. I just happened to be lurking & saw this one…

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I don’t dislike the guy, but rather he is a pro personnel scouting kind of guy.

If we’re all being honest, I think the conversation about Whaley starts and ends here.  He is a very good judge of talent, but horrible at the business side of football — which is what being a GM requires.  Dude didn’t understand or learn how to manipulate the salary cap at all.

Great example of the Peter Principle — being hired beyond his optimal capacity.

I’ll take any of his opinions on the salary cap or what teams can or can’t do financially with a huge grain of salt.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Doug Whaley, ladies and gentleman.

he thinks the salary cap is  something that goes on your head. 

One person to never listen too when it comes to GM decisions is Whaley. 

31 minutes ago, Paul Costa said:

Whaley was great on the opening drive yesterday. I kinda agree with his Diggs take.  A year from now we may have to trade Diggs no doubt. That’s why it’s important to get a guy who can be a #2 next year from this draft to pair with Davis

Everything Doug Whaley has been involved with has failed... 

Edited by TBBills

10 minutes ago, eball said:

If we’re all being honest, I think the conversation about Whaley starts and ends here.  He is a very good judge of talent, but horrible at the business side of football — which is what being a GM requires.  Dude didn’t understand or learn how to manipulate the salary cap at all.

Great example of the Peter Principle — being hired beyond his optimal capacity.

I’ll take any of his opinions on the salary cap or what teams can or can’t do financially with a huge grain of salt.

Well written Eman.  He left us in a horrible cap situation, and yes I know Cooter (Nix) start d this mess.

I hope Whaley gets a position as

a lead scout or in charge of scouting for the Steelers or another Team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.