Deshaun Watson to Browns - $230 million guaranteed

Draconator

17 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

I’d be surprised if he’d publicly ask to be traded to the Colts unless there has been feelers.  Problem is they don’t have a first this year.  I’m sure the Browns made the trade for watson expecting knowing they’d get pics for mayfield.  Is he worth a first?  Doubtful.  But in todays NFL, I wouldn’t be surprised if they did.  He has shown flashes and maybe a guy like Reich could save his career.

The Texans D when he was playing was very good, doesn’t Thisbe that in Cleveland.

Now way in hell they get a first, IMO. Maybe a third and change w the third going conditionally to a second.

• Agree 1

People dont give a ***** on what you do or your character if you play the hardest positional sport in all of sports at a elite level // this is sad but the truth. In the begining of the week I thought Baker was being unfair and over the top - however we found how serious the Browns are and how shady of a front office they have. Deshaun almost caused 2 [+ 1 if you include the Dolphins during the first half of the season, and another if you consider the Texans temporarily] franchises to combust while being traded to a third... What a week

Edited by Strethor

43 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Another vote - which is intentionally gross 

For those unfamiliar, this guy:

https://www.tmz.com/2021/06/30/los-angeles-dodgers-mlb-star-trevor-bauer-disturbing-allegations-restraining-order-alleged-assault/

Because when you've got the support of a guy who's been accused of morphing a consensual sexual encounter into choking a woman unconscious, anally raping her, and punching her in the head and neck to produce those photos, that just really reassures everyone about your character. 

Must feel really good for a man accused of indecent conduct and sexual assault to have that guy's public support.

38 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Lol. What a moron that guy is.

I See No Lies. 

2 hours ago, QLBillsFan said:

No struggle. It’s apparently very difficult to bring criminal charges in these cases. His lawyer essentially is putting the women on trial. Civil cases will likely bring settlements. Sorry, 22 women just seems a few too many for me. I am glad he’s not the face of the Bills. It’s an embarrassment to the Browns imho. I shall shun him as best I can, and it’s really no struggle. 

People make choices. You choose a profession like being a massage therapist you should have a plan in place for dealing with a situation like a client acting inappropriate. You shouldn't have to but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. You shouldn't need home security but people still have it. 

If the first few of the girls spoke out or pressed charges then maybe that might have prevented some of them from having to go through it at all. It might not have helped the first girl but after a few incidents it would have been taken more seriously. It would make a bigger difference to take action immediately. 

You involve money and a lawsuit you might have people that had a bad experience with the situation looking for retribution and you might have also have people that are opportunitist that will piggyback off others just because they have the opportunity. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all that there was inappropriate behavior happening but you can't wait around months and years never press charges and jump in in a lawsuit and really expect criminal justice. I never seen anyone speaking out against this dude until the lawsuit was news. 

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Dislike 3

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Another vote - which is intentionally gross 

https://www.tmz.com/2021/04/09/deshaun-watson-admits-consensual-sexual-encounters-with-some-accusers/#:~:text=Hardin explained Watson gets roughly,find businesses to patronize ...

Why would an NFL QB not use actual massage therapists supplied by the team? Why admit that "On some occasions, some sexual activities would have taken place?" Guy is scum. If anyone had doubts about Bauer this should give you pause.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Lfod said:

People make choices. You choose a profession like being a massage therapist you should have a plan in place for dealing with a situation like a client acting inappropriate. You shouldn't have to but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. You shouldn't need home security but people still have it. 

If the first few of the girls spoke out or pressed charges then maybe that might have prevented some of them from having to go through it at all. It might not have helped the first girl but after a few incidents it would have been taken more seriously. It would make a bigger difference to take action immediately. 

You involve money and a lawsuit you might have people that had a bad experience with the situation looking for retribution and you might have also have people that are opportunitist that will piggyback off others just because they have the opportunity. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all that there was inappropriate behavior happening but you can't wait around months and years never press charges and jump in in a lawsuit and really expect criminal justice. I never seen anyone speaking out against this dude until the lawsuit was news. 

Actually two women have come forward and you can find their names. Someone has to start it and these two courageous women have done so. Followed then by many others who don’t want to be named publicly. 

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

The $1M base is the Browns fully being aware he’s going to be suspended. And knowing this winning him over by making sure he gets a huge raise. At the same time protecting his $ so he loses very little when suspended. Credit MS as one of the few in media who are calling it what is it. 

6 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Why does this remind me of Michael Vick? These things don’t seem to work out after a player goes through a period on the outside. But we’ll all certainly see.

Sort of reminds me of the cutler situation. How motivated will he be?  He gets his feelings hurt, demands a trade and then was a terrible leader for 6 years

15 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

The $1M base is the Browns fully being aware he’s going to be suspended. And knowing this winning him over by making sure he gets a huge raise. At the same time protecting his $ so he loses very little when suspended. Credit MS as one of the few in media who are calling it what is it. 

This whole situation just feels gross to me, but honestly, that $1 million salary, just to protect him from losing money during his inevitable suspension, made me lose what little respect I had left for the Browns organization.  

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Could not agree more. The fact that The Shield hasn't stepped in and made them rework the contract tells you everything you need to know. That contract should be ripped up and reworked to not give Watson such a huge advantage this year.

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Beerball said:

Could not agree more. The fact that The Shield hasn't stepped in and made them rework the contract tells you everything you need to know. That contract should be ripped up and reworked to not give Watson such a huge advantage this year.

Does the league have that power though?  I agree the whole contract thing is disgusting, but I’m not sure there is a mechanism to prevent or change it. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Beerball said:

The NFL allows massive contract shenanigans every year. Look no further than our deal with Von Miller. 

Why would they draw the line at a team structuring a contract so that a player facing a potential suspension ends up with more cash in his pocket if he does get suspended? 

• Eyeroll 1

21 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Does the league have that power though?  I agree the whole contract thing is disgusting, but I’m not sure there is a mechanism to prevent or change it. 

I believe that they have the power to void a trade, not sure about a contract though. At the very least they should publicly send a strongly worded letter to the team and player.  Roger's silence tells you all you need to know.

What's the over under on how long the suspension will be? 5.5 games?

9 minutes ago, Beerball said:

What's the over under on how long the suspension will be? 5.5 games?

Over. 6 games with a reduced sentence for better behavior 

Edited by wjag

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.