What to do at CB?

GreggTX

While everyone is talking about RB's and WR's, has anyone noticed that the top CB still standing is a former 7th round pick that is well below average for a CB. Jackson has done well just to stick on an NFL roster this long, but do we really want a starting tandem of Neal/Jackson week 1? That thought really scares me. I don't want either of those guys taking even 3% of the defensive snaps.

I'm sure Beane is working on it, but the situation is severe. That would be far and away the worst starting outside CB's  anywhere. Do we draft a CB on day 1? I sure hope so, but that won't be anywhere near enough. We need to address this now. I don't think having 2 rookies starting at outside CB is the answer either. We also don't know when White will be ready, but it will be December at the earliest, I would guess. We also don't know if White will need time to fully recover or IF he will fully recover. I suspect he'll be his old self befotr too long.

Put yourself in Beane's seat. What moves would you be trying to pull off that are realistic? 

I'm looking at the Panthers CB stable and I could see a better CB than Levi shaking loose. Can we afford that? I also like Kyler Gordon, but I don't really follow college football. I know he's scheme versatile and a great tackler. Great short area burst. You thoughts?

• Eyeroll 3

6 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

While everyone is talking about RB's and WR's, has anyone noticed that the top CB still standing is a former 7th round pick that is well below average for a CB. Jackson has done well just to stick on an NFL roster this long, but do we really want a starting tandem of Neal/Jackson week 1? That thought really scares me. I don't want either of those guys taking even 3% of the defensive snaps.

I'm sure Beane is working on it, but the situation is severe. That would be far and away the worst starting outside CB's  anywhere. Do we draft a CB on day 1? I sure hope so, but that won't be anywhere near enough. We need to address this now. I don't think having 2 rookies starting at outside CB is the answer either. We also don't know when White will be ready, but it will be December at the earliest, I would guess. We also don't know if White will need time to fully recover or IF he will fully recover. I suspect he'll be his old self befotr too long.

Put yourself in Beane's seat. What moves would you be trying to pull off that are realistic? 

I'm looking at the Panthers CB stable and I could see a better CB than Levi shaking loose. Can we afford that? I also like Kyler Gordon, but I don't really follow college football. I know he's scheme versatile and a great tackler. Great short area burst. You thoughts?

I think odds are that the first round pick will be a CB.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

I think they are drafting CB in first or second round if the value is there. As for FA, if they can swing it, wouldn’t mind grabbing a Patrick Peterson or Joe Haden for the accomplished vet presence. If you can entice them to come help make a legit run at it on the cheap. Wouldn’t mind Donte Jackson either. 

• Like (+1) 4

This is whats great about having an MVP-level QB:  he makes everyone on the offense better allowing you to focus draft and FA capital on defense.

Based on the overwhelming majority of FA signing being on defense, id suspect we draft a CB in either RD1 or RD2 and the remaining draft will be heavy offense with WR, OL, RB

• Agree 3

Would like to see us pick up a CB in free agency. If not, we’re 100% drafting one early, and every other team will know it. Teams that need CB’s will be doing everything in their power to jump up ahead of us. I’d love to put some guesswork back in when it comes to our draft strategy. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I don’t disagree we need to shore up the CB position still, between Free Agency and the Draft.

On the Tre White piece, optimistic scenario is actually that he returns around the end of the preseason.  With that said, I think it is fair to question what his level of play will be when he returns.  One more reason the strengthen the CB depth.

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/platform/amp/2022/3/2/22958602/tredavious-white-on-schedule-in-return-from-injury

46 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

White will be back long before December as an Acl is a 6 -8 month recovery time so Sept is a realistic period and a return in December is way off on an uncomplicated acl repair.  I do think you have a valid concern but this draft is very deep at cb and I know Beane will bring in a vet or two at cb.  I don’t think when drafting at 25 you are guaranteed a starting cb anyhow as we know that’s rare and Mcd doesn’t use rookies that way in his history. Should they got lucky and a top tier guy drops or they move up , they might have a shot a a plug in starter but I don’t know If they can move that high to get to the top 3 cbs.  After that the talent level equals out for the next couple of rounds as I have heard draft experts mention.

I bet you end up being right tho and the Bills feel forced to draft cb In round 1, which is a shame as they could grab some really good value at wr or yes, even rb ( if hall was there at 25 ). at the end of the first round. Just thinking it goes against their philosophy of always going best available talent and goes toward filling a need that they really should address prior to the draft. It’s not like they didn’t know this was coming so it seems a little short sighted which is not like Beane at all. Still lots of FA time tho to fix things.!  

1 hour ago, DrPJax said:

White will be back long before December as an Acl is a 6 -8 month recovery time so Sept is a realistic period and a return in December is way off on an uncomplicated acl repair.  I do think you have a valid concern but this draft is very deep at cb and I know Beane will bring in a vet or two at cb.  I don’t think when drafting at 25 you are guaranteed a starting cb anyhow as we know that’s rare and Mcd doesn’t use rookies that way in his history. Should they got lucky and a top tier guy drops or they move up , they might have a shot a a plug in starter but I don’t know If they can move that high to get to the top 3 cbs.  After that the talent level equals out for the next couple of rounds as I have heard draft experts mention.

I bet you end up being right tho and the Bills feel forced to draft cb In round 1, which is a shame as they could grab some really good value at wr or yes, even rb ( if hall was there at 25 ). at the end of the first round. Just thinking it goes against their philosophy of always going best available talent and goes toward filling a need that they really should address prior to the draft. It’s not like they didn’t know this was coming so it seems a little short sighted which is not like Beane at all. Still lots of FA time tho to fix things.!  

Ummm, Tre White says "hello?"

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, NewEra said:

If we lose bates, we better draft a guard 

Yeah but not in round 1 or 2...good guards can be found in later rounds or even as UFAs. Patriots plug and play guards all the time that way and do just fine.

1 hour ago, DrPJax said:

White will be back but likely will need a year before he truly gets back to his normal self. From everything I have heard he is rehabbing like a maniac to get back ASAP. I expect him to not quite be as good as he normally is next year, but return to All Pro form the following year.

But Tre at 75% is still better than most CBs at 100%

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.