Shaq is back! A one-year deal

Roundybout

3 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

This tells me that they aren't 100% sold on AJE and Boogie. They are bringing in serious competition that could cause them to not make the roster, or be healthy scratches (like Boogie was a bunch last year).

Boogie got more time as the season wore on......McD tends to do this with rookies

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well..the point was they have to hedge their last 3 draft picks with these temps.  

You think they will be benchwarmers behind those other 3 guys?

The fact is, those guys have a total of four year’s experience between them.  It’s smart to sign cheap veteran depth when we have no idea what we’ve got.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Boogie got more time as the season wore on......McD tends to do this with rookies

Right Jordan Phillips told a story about how he had a big game then had a ***** practice and Frasier laid into him. Made me think of how in Ed Oliver's rookie season he had some good games and it was like pulling teeth to get McDermott to acknowledge it in the pressers. McDermott and this coaching staff demand consistent solid play for anything they give.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 2

45 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Would it shock people to see a trade in this DE stable?

It would shock me more if there was NOT a trade. That’s Beane’s style, pick up extra draft picks, even late ones, to use as chips to move around in the draft. We’ve got a LOT of DL options, and we haven’t drafted yet. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

I completely disagree.  

This isn’t Nick Bosa.  It’s Von Miller at age 33.  

We have a team that shouldn’t be relying on him in most of our games.  

We want him to be the difference maker in the playoffs for the next 2-3 years.  

You make damn sure he’s healthy, rested and ready to go every year come playoff time. 

We’re paying him 17.5 per to win Super Bowls, not beat the Dolphins in October. 

Totally idiotic post. They need to get the playoffs, with home field advantage first. That won't happen if Miller is being "rested" for the hoped for post season that might not happen if were relying mainly on mostly unproven defensive line players. What owner in their right mind would pay $70M guaranteed, for a player as you say "They shouldn't be relying on for most of the regular season games"! Maybe you should lay off quoting drunken WGR callers comments for your talking points.          

3 minutes ago, Ross Murdock said:

Totally idiotic post. They need to get the playoffs, with home field advantage first. That won't happen if Miller is being "rested" for the hoped for post season that might not happen if were relying mainly on mostly unproven defensive line players. What owner in their right mind would pay $70M guaranteed, for a player as you say "They shouldn't be relying on for most of the regular season games"! Maybe you should lay off quoting drunken WGR callers comments for your talking points.          

A smart owner who wants to win Super Bowls… which we have. 

We’ll see who’s right.  I guarantee we don’t play him anywhere close to the percentage of snaps he’s used to in the regular season.  

With the AFCW becoming a nuclear war, AFCN tough as well, there is zero reason this team (even without Von) shouldn’t be a 1 seed favorite. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 3

3 hours ago, H2o said:

Our defensive line is NEVER going to be tired with the rotation we'll have going on. We are going to EAT opposing QB's this year. 

They might get tired running on and off the field doing their rotations.

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

I completely disagree.  

This isn’t Nick Bosa.  It’s Von Miller at age 33.  

We have a team that shouldn’t be relying on him in most of our games.  

We want him to be the difference maker in the playoffs for the next 2-3 years.  

You make damn sure he’s healthy, rested and ready to go every year come playoff time. 

We’re paying him 17.5 per to win Super Bowls, not beat the Dolphins in October. 

You're right. Miller's value will be: 1) on passing downs 2) in the 4th quarters of tight games 3) in the playoffs.

I think Ed Oliver led all Bills DLs in % of snaps played at just over 50%. They need to save and ration out Miller over the course of a long 17 game season.

3 hours ago, FLFan said:

He is not a great football player.  He largely underperformed his first three years, had a big year in McD's rotation system in year 4, cashed in and proceeded to revert to form.  He could be a useful rotational piece for the Bills in their system if he is motivated to play.  That is his ceiling.  Not great.

Shaq Lawson is not a great player. He's a solid all-around end who is a better run defender than pass rusher, though he can break through for sacks on occasion. Lawson's value to a team (like all players) is dependent upon how much he is making. At Miami he was overpaid (3 years $30 million).

2 hours ago, JohnNord said:

I don’t know…Shaq Lawson of 2019 would be a great signing.  He hasn’t played very well the past two seasons and has been released three times over the past year.  He’ll be a reserve this season so maybe the scheme will help him out.  Not a bad player to have as your 5th DE

It's not that he hasn't played well. The problem was that Shaq was over-signed as a free agent and then acquired by teams hoping he was someone he's not. In the right scheme at the right price with the right expectations he's a solid veteran player.

24 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Too smallish?  He lost like 20lbs from his weight in college because that is what the Bills asked him to do.

Yes the Bills blew it with Epenesa by asking him to lose weight. His greatest asset at Iowa was his strength and ability to hand fight and defeat blocking with leverage. In his senior year against USC he manhandled Miami 1st round OT Austin Jackson.

Epenesa needs to play at 275-280. The Bills will never make him into a speed rusher. Denver tried doing the same thing with Robert Ayers and failed miserably.

By asking him to lose weight the Bills took away Epenesa's greatest strength... his strength.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, mannc said:

The fact is, those guys have a total of four year’s experience between them.  It’s smart to sign cheap veteran depth when we have no idea what we’ve got.

it’s unfortunately necessary.  

with Epinesa, I think they realize what they got…

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We’ll see who’s right.  I guarantee we don’t play him anywhere close to the percentage of snaps he’s used to in the regular season.  

Miller played 63% of the defensive snaps last year between the Broncos and Rams. That is slightly below his average, and sounds about right. 

12 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Yes the Bills blew it with Epenesa by asking him to lose weight. His greatest asset at Iowa was his strength and ability to hand fight and defeat blocking with leverage. In his senior year against USC he manhandled Miami 1st round OT Austin Jackson.

Epenesa needs to play at 275-280. The Bills will never make him into a speed rusher. Denver tried doing the same thing with Robert Ayers and failed miserably.

By asking him to lose weight the Bills took away Epenesa's greatest strength... his strength.

This...this I agree with.

They drafted a 5T and tried to turn him into a speed rusher. Doesn't make any sense.

His path to a successful career, in my mind, was to build on his strength -- which, as Sierra pointed out, is his literal strength -- and become a Justin Smith type player. 

Instead, unless things change drastically or he bulks back up, he appears to be on the path to Bustville, which is a shame, because he's got talent.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Well..the point was they have to hedge their last 3 draft picks with these temps.  

You think they will be benchwarmers behind those other 3 guys?

I think they will rotate in and learn valuable lessons from guys that have been in the league for more than a year. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

it’s unfortunately necessary.  

with Epinesa, I think they realize what they got…

Not sure if that's the case..imo they believe he has more and will keep him around a bit longer. You know how they are with 2nd round picks lol, like Ford, one would think they know what they have in him....but he's still there and still pretty bad

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins
  • Like (+1) 2

Happy Shaq is back in general. Not his fault that he was drafted in the 1st, and then got overpaid by Miami. Good for him actually.

He is an excellent run defending DE and has enough juice to get about 4 sacks a year and push the pocket. 4 sacks would have tied as 2nd most sacks on Buffalo last year with Rousseau and Oliver.

Buffalo had issues against the Tennessee's and Indy' of the AFC. Shaq allows a nickel to be played as a base, and play better run defense.

I feel that way about adding Jones, Settle and Miller too.

Welcome back!

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

While the whole Phillips/Lawson reunion storyline is great, there's no guarantees either of them are going to be on the roster beyond training camp because of how deep this line is all of a sudden.

This is true, Beane likes a lot of competition, its gonna be interesting to see who makes the team, 

41 minutes ago, Logic said:

This...this I agree with.

They drafted a 5T and tried to turn him into a speed rusher. Doesn't make any sense.

His path to a successful career, in my mind, was to build on his strength -- which, as Sierra pointed out, is his literal strength -- and become a Justin Smith type player. 

Instead, unless things change drastically or he bulks back up, he appears to be on the path to Bustville, which is a shame, because he's got talent.

It was total mishandling. I think they were just so desperate for sacks that they made that move. And now he just had another meh wasted year. I am holding out hope that he just needs a minute. It took him a while at Iowa. But hope is starting to wane. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.