Any chance Jerry Hughes takes a below market value offer to try and get that ring?

buffaloboyinATL

null

57 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Can you link me the numbers?  You saw them right?  Or are you just making it up?  On par for the course I suppose 

Here's the link to hughes PFF page, you have to be a suscriber for premium content but here's also a blurb from Aaron Quinn on said numbers which have been published before on twitter via PFF:

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/jerry-hughes/5556

Again, I'm not bashing Hughes I'm just not a 'pressure' guy, I'm a 'pressure + sack' guy.

14 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

null

Here's the link to hughes PFF page, you have to be a suscriber for premium content but here's also a blurb from Aaron Quinn on said numbers which have been published before on twitter via PFF:

Again, I'm not bashing Hughes I'm just not a 'pressure' guy, I'm a 'pressure + sack' guy.

I know…..I’m a subscriber…..the stats you list aren’t there.  Or if they are there, you can surely copy paste or screen shot. I’m really interested to see these stats.

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I know…..I’m a subscriber…..the stats you list aren’t there.  Or if they are there, you can surely copy paste or screen shot. I’m really interested to see these stats.

I did post them via Aaron Quinn...why do you insist I'm making this up especially since they are positive about hughes??

2 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

I would honestly take Addison back at this point over Hughes assuming we still want another veteran option at DE in the rotation.

The pressure numbers with hughes are highly misleading because of the simple fact when you don't finish and QB's escape said pressure big plays happens and look no further than what Mahomes (and JA17) have done over and over against the Bills and other teams that create pressure but can't bring him down.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Hughes retires because I doubt any team is going to offer him much more than veteran type minimum contract based on his sack numbers in recent years.

7 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I did post them via Aaron Quinn...why do you insist I'm making this up especially since they are positive about hughes??

I asked you to post numbers that would support your bolded claim…..and you gave me stats that supported the claim that Jerry is a beast and should be resigned. 

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I asked you to post numbers that would support your bolded claim…..and you gave me stats that supported the claim that Jerry is a beast and should be resigned. 

Understood, that was my opinion of course based on the obvious in terms of what happened against the Chiefs in the playoffs and against similar good teams in recent years.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you that JH is/was a bad player. Just don't feel there's room for him here now given the massive upgrade we just made. But if he were to resign here I'm not going to criticize or complain about it.

1 minute ago, FilthyBeast said:

Understood, that was my opinion of course based on the obvious in terms of what happened against the Chiefs in the playoffs and against similar good teams in recent years.

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you that JH is/was a bad player. Just don't feel there's room for him here now given the massive upgrade we just made. But if he were to resign here I'm not going to criticize or complain about it.

Gotcha.  Your speculation in the bolded redacted. 

with regards to pass rush, one DL dcreating pressure allows the other DL to eat.  It’s up to them to clean up the mess that was caused .  Almost every play Boogie has made has been a result of him teammates beating their man.  Rousseau is built for that. Now with the DTs we have, our D is tailor made for Jerry.  I’d rather cut Aj.  Jerry consistently moves the qb off of his spot….we finally have a supporting cast that can clean up his mess.  

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, BRH said:

I'd love it if Jerry and Fitz both got a chance to hoist the Lombardi because no two active players would appreciate it more, having been here during the lean years.  But there's not a lot of room for sentimentality.  They know it's a business and wouldn't have any hard feelings.

He's not done and the jury is still out on at least two of those young guys.  You know what you'll get from Jerry especially if we're not relying on him to be the #1 pressure guy.  I love the idea of Von coming from one side and Jerry from the other, especially when we're protecting a lead.

Because Basham and Eponesa haven’t shown enough yet (they still have time) I don’t think the Bills can go into the new season relying on them as back ups. Meaning, the Bills most likely bring in a bet to compete and see what happens. It would make sense for the vet to be Huhges or Addison. 

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

null

I don’t know if you’ve seen/heard the discussions regarding why pressure is important. Cover1 has some, and they make excellent points as to why pressure is important so much so, they state pressure rate has to be factored into the defensive coverage equation. So although sacks end plays, pressures are factor in coverage that prevents completions and or big gains/first downs. 

To be clear, I’m not diminishing the value of sacks, just that, pressure it’s self is a very valuable component to defense. 

Edited by Tanoros
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Tanoros said:

Because Basham and Eponesa haven’t shown enough yet (they still have time) I don’t think the Bills can go into the new season relying on them as back ups. Meaning, the Bills most likely bring in a bet to compete and see what happens. It would make sense for the vet to be Huhges or Addison. 

I don’t know if you’ve seen/heard the discussions regarding why pressure is important. Cover1 has some, and they make excellent points as to why pressure is important so much so, they state pressure rate has to be factored into the defensive coverage equation. So although sacks end plays, pressures are factor in coverage that prevents completions and or big gains/first downs. 

To be clear, I’m not diminishing the value of sacks, just that, pressure it’s self is a very valuable component to defense. 

My point in discussing with other posters, is that pressure alone has not worked for us the last few years.

Sure against scrub QB's, rookies, etc this defense has feasted. But face a real QB and offense and the results have been markedly different.

Obviously Beane and McD understood this like us fans and armchair GM's did and why a big time move was made.

So if we do bring back Hughes or Addison I would expect the overall sacks numbers to flourish, they might anyway because of all the attention Miller and Oliver are going to get. Could see a guy like Groot or Basham truly explode in year 2.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

My point in discussing with other posters, is that pressure alone has not worked for us the last few years.

Sure against scrub QB's, rookies, etc this defense has feasted. But face a real QB and offense and the results have been markedly different.

Obviously Beane and McD understood this like us fans and armchair GM's did and why a big time move was made.

So if we do bring back Hughes or Addison I would expect the overall sacks numbers to flourish, they might anyway because of all the attention Miller and Oliver are going to get. Could see a guy like Groot or Basham truly explode in year 2.

We certainly were lacking an elite pass rusher and it’s clear the FO understood that. When trying to take down the most elite of the elite QB’s, you need an elite player chasing them down, I agree with that. 

Just think about how many times over the last few years teams have focused on getting the ball out fast against us. That’s for two main reasons, we get pressure and tend to play off coverage. We, as a defense are essentially asking for quick passes, so I wonder if some may get frustrated with Millers production. His sack numbers may not be what some expect, largely because of scheme. With that said, pressure coming from multiple places may just be too much, even if a team is scheming to get the ball out quick. So you never know. Either way, I’m excited to see the defense this season. 

On 3/17/2022 at 10:45 AM, Tenhigh said:

Didn't he finish top 10 in pressure rate?  Defense is more than just sack #s

Come on man the dude is finished. 18 tackles?  1.05 per game?  LMAO.  If he were so valuable, he would have been claimed already.

On 3/17/2022 at 9:45 AM, Tenhigh said:

Didn't he finish top 10 in pressure rate?  Defense is more than just sack #s

Yes, but his run defense sucked wind. Problem is Jerry fits only if they think Groot isn’t good enough to regularly apply pressure from the other side. Jerry just won’t see the field enough from the Miller side of the field to justify having 3rd down only rushers. He is a 1.5mil flyer backup only at this point just like Obada was. 

On 3/17/2022 at 1:37 PM, FilthyBeast said:

I wish people would realize a TD pass can still be accomplished after a hit, hurry or pressure. Sacks should be the only benchmark. 

On 3/17/2022 at 8:42 AM, buffaloboyinATL said:

I have not heard much about Jerry Hughes and whether he is going to retire or sign with another team.  I was wondering if he would stick around to play with Von Miller, even if the contract was less than what he would usually accept.  And of course, even if he would do it, what would the Bills be willing to pay him and is there room for him on this roster.  If he does not come back, I hope he retires. I'd rather not see him in a different uniform. (Although I was thinking it would be funny if he went back to where we originally got him. The Colts definitely have a ton of cap space) 

Anyone hearing anything about Jerry's plans?

Beane said there had not been discussion and he didn’t sound like he was enthused about pursuing Hughes.

If we do have the cap space to make another signing, our most pressing need is really CB, followed perhaps by OL especially if we might lose Bates.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Beane said there had not been discussion and he didn’t sound like he was enthused about pursuing Hughes.

If we do have the cap space to make another signing, our most pressing need is really CB, followed perhaps by OL especially if we might lose Bates.

I think we already have all our defensive ends. Miller and Shaq basically replaced Hughes and Addison. I guess we could arguably have a need for a replacement for Obada, but wouldn’t surprise me if they used that on a late-round rookie. 

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I think we already have all our defensive ends. Miller and Shaq basically replaced Hughes and Addison. I guess we could arguably have a need for a replacement for Obada, but wouldn’t surprise me if they used that on a late-round rookie. 

I think we carried an unusual number of DLmen last season because we signed Obada and then drafted 2 DE, then we wanted to keep Zimmer as well as the rotation of 4 guys.  We had 6 DE and 5 DT on the roster most of the season.  5 and 5 would be more usual, so with Miller and Lawson added to Rousseau, Basham and Epenesa I think you’re right that the roster at DE is pretty full.  DT with Oliver, Phillips, Settle, and Jones I think we might want 1 more unless they really like one of the developmental guys.  It’s possible they’ll want to bring Zimmer into training camp if he doesn’t sign elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

I can't imagine his market value is very high at this point anyway.  He put in a lot of good years with the Bills but it's time to move on and hope Groot lives up to his billing opposite Miller.

How much do you think he’ll get?

i think he can rack up to 7-8M on a one year deal, but might settle for 3-4 with a true contender.  I’d hate to see him sign with an afc contender 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I wish people would realize a TD pass can still be accomplished after a hit, hurry or pressure. Sacks should be the only benchmark. 

usatsi_15000734_168386758_lowres.jpg

I think the Cardinals would beg to differ as they eat 9.4 million in dead cap.  He did have 9.5 sacks in 2019 though.

Sacks should not be the only benchmark.  Pressures lead to the QB getting the ball faster than they want to.  This can lead to picks, taking the check down as the down the field routes don't have enough time to develop, int's, etc...  They're valuable.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I wish would realize that hurries, hits and pressure can still result in turnovers, incompletions and punts. 

theres 2 sides to the story. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.