2022 Free Agency - Around the NFL Thread

Draconator

17 minutes ago, finn said:

Tea leaves point to an OG at 25. Beane said his priority is to "protect Josh," Saffold appears to be no more than stopgap, and he didn't put a 2nd round tender on Bates. That seems to add up to drafting a guard early. I'm looking for Haden or another vet on a one-year deal at CB, sign a few backup types at guard (one signed today), go OG in the first round, CB in the second, and WR in the third. 

It's really a waste of time trying to "read the tea leaves" and guessing things like this.

Even Brandon Beane has no idea who he will draft, in what rounds, or what positions... because he has no idea who will be available.

Listen to what he said regarding last year's draft.  He wasn't planning on drafting two Edge Rushers in the 1st-2nd Rounds.  In fact, Beane admitted that he really wanted a Cornerback at some point.  But the value just never matched up.

That's why he likes filling all holes before the draft.  Because if value doesn't match-up, you are either forced to reach... or you just never fill the hole.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I know his play was less than great playing for the Chargers, but is the 29 year old Trai Turner an option at RG?  He had a better season last year in Pittsburg, according to PFF he was the 30th ranked guard and as you all know he was in Carolina with Dorsey and Sean where he was a 5 time Pro Bowler.

I'd feel good with him playing RG, his natural position for Buffalo

24 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

No, they dont.

Since 2018, only 3 OGs have been selected. One was viewed as maybe the best player in the draft at the time (Nelson); one had OT versatility (V-T to the Jets); and only one pure OG (Lindstrom).  So, No, they aren't picking a G at 25.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, TPS said:

Since 2018, only 3 OGs have been selected. One was viewed as maybe the best player in the draft at the time (Nelson); one had OT versatility (V-T to the Jets); and only one pure OG (Lindstrom).  So, No, they aren't picking a G at 25.

Exactly. I was going to add that a Quenton Nelson is not available at 25 so IOL is certainly not a 'must' at 25. There will be better value there at a premium position like WR or CB. I think he may have gotten hold of some rancid tea leaves. 😉

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

They surely will be tough for the next couple years but then Joe will get 50 million a year and things will even out.  I still think we are better than them right now.  

Buffalo should be better than the Bengals.

Buffalo is 2 years ahead of the Bengals on their timeline.

For all the sudden success the bengals had in 2021…it gets forgotten that they are WAY ahead of schedule.

What they did in 2021…most didn’t think they would do until 2023/2024.

Is it me or does this UFA period for almost all teams to be extremely slow.  I wonder if it has to be that there is a fundamental shift amongst teams on UFA, and coming out of the COVID years CAP,  if that has damped this UFA period.  Just seems to be moving much slowly in terms of signings like the second phase of UFA started on the league year and the players are just not seeing the market they thought they would see.

10 hours ago, Nelius said:

WR cupboard getting pretty bare, even for prove-it veterans that may want a ring. Jamison Crowder still sitting out there, would be a great Beasley replacement. I also can't believe that sites are ranking Antonio Brown.

Will Fuller to Cleveland is got to be all but guaranteed at this point with Watson. Doesn't worry me too much, but he was still pretty dang good when healthy/not being dumb. 

Could a Sammy reunion happen? Good lord. Never even crossed my mind until now but if you want a potentially cheap, vet receiver with playoff experience...there aren't many better options.

I don't know about WR getting bare:  Julio/Landry/Crowder/Beasley/Watkins/Humphries/Fuller/OBJ/D Jackson. 

Seems Beane is waiting it out.  After a little bit, when the dust settles, one of these WRs will see that we're one of the only contenders with a wide open WR3 slot.  If you are a WR wanting to do a one year "prove it" deal, this has the makings of a great opportunity.  You just won't be getting the big payday this year.

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Counting on Rick Bates is not concerning at all

It kind of is though. He played 5 game at LG last year next to Dawkins.  If he returns, he’ll likely be out RG and playing next to Brown. That’s a big difference.  I’ll be happy if/when we resign Bates, but there are still questions.  If there weren’t, he’d have signed an offer sheet by now imo

Edited by NewEra

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

It's really a waste of time trying to "read the tea leaves" and guessing things like this.

Even Brandon Beane has no idea who he will draft, in what rounds, or what positions... because he has no idea who will be available.

Listen to what he said regarding last year's draft.  He wasn't planning on drafting two Edge Rushers in the 1st-2nd Rounds.  In fact, Beane admitted that he really wanted a Cornerback at some point.  But the value just never matched up.

That's why he likes filling all holes before the draft.  Because if value doesn't match-up, you are either forced to reach... or you just never fill the hole.

Of course it's a waste of time. But it's fun, which is why we do it. 

Kenyon Green at 25. 

7 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This is a useful chart to see RAS numbers on the guard prospects this year. Strange is the high RAS small school guy this year. 

Screen Shot 2022-03-21 at 12.21.44 PM.png

I think the Bills were already shifting their focus to more athletic linemen, and it is going to be even more of a focus with Kromer. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

I think the Bills were already shifting their focus to more athletic linemen, and it is going to be even more of a focus with Kromer. 

I agree. So I don't think that Kenyon Green is going to wind up being in the conversation, but maybe. 

11 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I agree. So I don't think that Kenyon Green is going to wind up being in the conversation, but maybe. 

I posted in the "Who do you think Bills pick first in the draft" thread that I would like for them to go Guard in the 1st and 3rd/4th rounds as they need to start addressing the interior of the line in a serious way. My choices were Zion Johnson in the 1st and Cole Strange in the 3rd/4th for exactly those reasons. I agree on Green, however, if they feel they really want to go Guard at 25, and Johnson is gone and Green is there, they might do it. He has played Guard and Center and they also like flexibility in their linemen.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ExWNYer said:

That makes Colts once again dangerous...and likely the favorites in their division.  Falcons are apparently eating a $42M cap hit by trading him because they renegotiated his contract to facilitate the trade for Watson.  

1 minute ago, jkeerie said:

That makes Colts once again dangerous...and likely the favorites in their division.  Falcons are apparently eating a $42M cap hit by trading him because they renegotiated his contract to facilitate the trade for Watson.  

I mean I don't have a huge amount of confidence in the Titans, but I also don't have much confidence in Matty Ice.

12 minutes ago, jkeerie said:

I liken it to their Rivers signing two years ago…Ryan’s got one more year left…he’s running on fumes.

• Agree 1

Just now, Steptide said:

Surprised Reich is trying to win with these washed qbs. Matt Ryan is borderline starting/backup qb

Sprinkle in a few passes while letting JT carry the load. Ryan can probably still do that pretty effectively.

• Agree 1

Looks like the Saints are bringing back Winston.

(5) Tom Pelissero on Twitter: "The #Saints are re-signing QB Jameis Winston to a two-year deal with a base value of $28 million, including $21M guaranteed, sources tell me and @RapSheet. So after missing out on Deshaun Watson, New Orleans turns to an old friend at QB." / Twitter

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.