Cowboys release Robert Foster

Virgil

16 hours ago, Virgil said:

I would love to know what happened with him.  To me, he's part of the best throw of Josh's career and had a hot second half of the season.  I never understood why he didn't earn more playing time and was relegated to the bench or practice squad.  With the losses of Sanders, and potentially Beasley/McKenzie, I'd love to bring him back

The thing is, Foster was not even very productive at Alabama. He only had 35 receptions for 389 yards in 4 seasons. To be fair, there were some injuries involved but Foster never cracked to starting lineup.

This is not to say that college coaches do not make mistakes. Ohio State looked rather stupid by not playing Jameson Williams, thus losing him to Alabama where he flourished. Would Nick Saban make this sort of dumb mistake? I think not.

Now, is Foster lightning fast? Yes of course but he is the prototype one trick pony. Think Lee Evans with FAR less moves (and he too was a one trick pony speedster).  As a proud Crimson Tide Fan I wish Foster well, but would prefer a receiver who is more able to be consistently open. 

Jmo Bro. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/robert-foster-1.html

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Like (+1) 1

I always thought foster mostly benefitted here from the backyard style of football we had to play. Josh not being great reading the field and running for his life almost every play. I’m actually surprised he’s still bouncing around the league. He had a great shot a couple years ago in Green Bay when all their receivers were hurt. They chose to put their running backs at receiver instead of activating foster that game. 

35 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

The thing is, Foster was not even very productive at Alabama. He only had 35 receptions for 389 yards in 4 seasons. To be fair, there were some injuries involved but Foster never cracked to starting lineup.

This is not to say that college coaches do not make mistakes. Ohio State looked rather stupid by not playing Jameson Williams, thus losing him to Alabama where he flourished. Would Nick Saban make this sort of dumb mistake? I think not.

Now, is Foster lightning fast? Yes of course but he is the prototype one trick pony. Think Lee Evans with FAR less moves (and he too was a one trick pony speedster).  As a proud Crimson Tide Fan I wish Foster well, but would prefer a receiver who is more able to be consistently open. 

Jmo Bro. 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/robert-foster-1.html

I hope @Jauronimofinds someone that loves him as much as @Bill from NYC loves Nick Saban and Alabama football.

38 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

I wish IronMaidenBills would post a poll about this.  I blame McD's coaching to be honest. 

If I recall correctly, according to Sky Diver everyone  except Robert Foster was responsible for Robert Foster's failings here as a WR.  Coaches, teammates, fans, hotel maids on road trips, etc.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Virgil said:

I would love to know what happened with him.  To me, he's part of the best throw of Josh's career and had a hot second half of the season.  I never understood why he didn't earn more playing time and was relegated to the bench or practice squad.  With the losses of Sanders, and potentially Beasley/McKenzie, I'd love to bring him back

He was good because of Allen. It’s no mistake that Diggs, Foster, Beasley, Brown all had career years with Josh. Knox and Davis have only played with Josh but they are likely in this club too. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Virgil said:

Because from what I had read somewhere he didn't really know WTF he was doing out there. Ran the wrong routes regularly, wasn't where he was supposed to be on the field, didn't pay attention to details, etc...

That type of player can't really be part of a really good team, especially not the type McDermott runs that depends on people being on point.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.