List of draft players Bills have met with

Pete

On 3/9/2022 at 9:12 AM, Gugny said:

One would think that a database of all available players could be created and that a team could "eliminate" players they know they don't want, then go through a series of "if/then" scenarios.  So if Bob Jones is who they want in the first round, and he gets snagged by another team before dropping to them, then the database would automatically tell them who their pick will be based on all of the previous picks and the "if/then" data they input previously.

Maybe teams already do this; I don't know.  But it seems like the logical way to go about it.

As a software engineer myself, I think it would be easy enough to code as well as run some type of prediction model regarding positional strength available at their next selection so it could help them decide between positions if one position will be much stronger/weaker when they next select so they can draft the weaker position first then the stronger one later to get better players overall. I cannot imagine this doesn't already exist, and if it doesn't I need to quit my job and start a new company to build this.

Edited by Big Turk

6 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

I've seen this guy ranked as the top TE in the draft by some analysts. He didn't test great but tape looks really good. Bills seem to be meeting with lots of TEs this year.

In my amateurish analysis, I am not that high on Isaiah Likely.   I like Trey McBride, Cade Otton and Charlie Kolar better.

But Beane and the Boys see a lot more tape, in person scouting than I ever could, so they know best.   And yes, they appear to be very interested in tight ends.

16 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I just wish we got to see the board after the draft.  It will never happen, but would be fun.

That is a cool idea.

How about you break into OBD early Sunday after the draft...they will be probably sleeping in late...and take pictures in the war room of the draft board.   I will stand guard outside for you.  Cool?

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Could be any number of reasons. One that I would absolutely not exclude is Beane doing a favour to Joe Schoen. Willis has met with the Giants but he will have been on his best behaviour with the Giants. They have a top 5 pick and don't have their Quarterback. I would not rule out at all that Beane brought him in to see if the kid still comes and behaves like a professional and engages meaningfully with a team who are not going to draft him. It is a bit conspiratorial but that sort of stuff goes on sometimes and Beane and Schoen are very tight. I'd like to see the Giants' full meetings list and see if there might be someone there who could be the other end of that deal. 

As teams are now increasingly practicing my long prescribed model of only drafting "premium positions" in round 1.......I can't remember the term "premium positions" even in use 15+ years ago.......it wouldn't surprise me entirely if they picked Willis if he were somehow available at 25.

My other long held belief is that you can pick the best QB on your board in round 1 every year and the math will ultimately come out in your favor.   That one is much less likely to catch on because so many coaches and GM's in the top half of round 1, where the best QB's typically go, are on a short leash and not yet in lock step with ownership.    Has to be a process from ownership on down.    It's never been more evident that if you don't have a franchise QB your situation is borderline hopeless.   

Obviously a dynamic reserve QB could prove invaluable if forced into action and Allen plays a very violent brand of QB.   And if they trust Willis will turn into a franchise type after 4 years.......then you only need to look at the trade returns from Carson Wentz to know that even a QB who has flashed some ability is worth what a first team All Pro is in trade at just about any other position.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I just wish we got to see the board after the draft.  It will never happen, but would be fun.

This would be so sweet. A company like TDN -- or hell, the NFL Network -- should go to every NFL team, sign NDAs and a contract to anonymize the boards. Would make for so much great post-draft content fodder.

Won't ever happen, but would be amazing. 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

Thanks for the comprehensive answer.

QBs are very specific so thats easy to understand. The key to my question is then really how they treat guy like London/Samuel/Olujari you describe. I understand that they might not be fits or they don't have value for Bills, but I always thought that they are kept somewhere on the board just in case they slip too much and their talents just become too much to pass on.

But in reality you are probably right and since something like that doesn't happen and guys just don't slip 2-3 full rounds, it is probably not worth to even think about them being included in the board.

However, even with your reasoning, I still find it crazy if Belichick really has less than 100 players on his board :)

When I think about it this could possibly be one of the reasons why Metcalf fell so far. I guess from some reason he just wasn't on many teams' board.

I also believe there is some additional differences between “the Bills board” and the full board.  The Bills like most teams have all kinds of draft guides and the like and all of that data gets entered into their database and the teams have a full board of players that they expect to get drafted.

The Bills talk every year about having “mock draft sessions” where internal guys are assigned teams and they draft based upon what they believe individual teams will do to try and simulate as many parameters as possible.  Therefore we know that they have some type of grade on really every player and I believe they have someone monitoring that board during the draft in case someone unexpectedly falls and they need that information for trades or picks.

The Bills board is a much smaller and tightly constructed board centering around players that fit what they want and should be available at their positions in various rounds.  These are the players they are concentrating on and have stacked grade after grade and highlights so that when the time comes - they can do quick comparisons and have open dialogue.  They don’t need every player because you are not reviewing and doing the work on every player - you have certain guys that you are putting together full draft info on and that is limited because of time and visits.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I am right there with you. The tape with Likely is less impressive than I hope it would be.

2 hours ago, intimidatortj said:

In my amateurish analysis, I am not that high on Isaiah Likely.   I like Trey McBride, Cade Otton and Charlie Kolar better.

But Beane and the Boys see a lot more tape, in person scouting than I ever could, so they know best.   And yes, they appear to be very interested in tight ends.

I highly recommend putting on some highlights and games of VTs TE James Mitchell. He was going to be big this year until an injury cut his season short. 

Very Dawson Knox as he is a pretty good blocker, excellent athlete and was vastly underused at VT.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, intimidatortj said:

That is a cool idea.

How about you break into OBD early Sunday after the draft...they will be probably sleeping in late...and take pictures in the war room of the draft board.   I will stand guard outside for you.  Cool?

Works for me bond.  Can we at least play the song and rent the Walter ppk, and 64 silver astin martin.

2 hours ago, LEBills said:

I highly recommend putting on some highlights and games of VTs TE James Mitchell. He was going to be big this year until an injury cut his season short. 

Very Dawson Knox as he is a pretty good blocker, excellent athlete and was vastly underused at VT.

I looked him up after reading your post.  Mitchell isn't quite as long or as fast as Knox, but he looks like a solid backup early, with starting potential.  I wouldn't take him in the second, but later on in the draft he might be a terrific value.

22 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

This sounds really strange to me.

I can understand that some teams take some players completely out of their boards due to off-field issues or injury concerns. But that has to be some small number of players. How it is then possible to have less than 150 or even less than 100 players on the board? What are the reasons for taking a player completely of a teams board?

I understand that there are scheme issues for example, so if a CB excels in man defense team like Bills may downgrade him a round or two. But it doesn't make sense to delete him off the board completely. 

To be more specific - can you look at last years draft at tell me which players selected in first 2 rounds possibly weren't on Bills board at all? Or on Patriots board for that matter? Or make the same thing with this year's top 60 players. For example, I remember you saying that Lindenbaum is very scheme specific guy. But do you think it really means he is not on some teams board? Like a team does not take him even in 4th round if he is somehow available?

I always thought that all teams have draft boards consisting of 200+ players.

Over the years many teams have said they take some players off their board completely.  And many teams claim to only have about 150 boards on their board.

If there is a player at Kutztown State that has buzz as a possible late round WR and he gets a DUI in February....off the board.
Or, if there is a RB from Idaho that put up some big #s but then runs a 4.9 at his pro day....off the board.

As far as players in the 1st or 2nd round, not many of those will be taken "off the board".    Some may if there is no scheme fit.

If you run a defense that has no use for a Nose Tackle, why put one on your draft board?    You would never draft him, so why waste hours and hours of your scouts time doing the reports and film necessary to even put them on your board.

150 players on your board should be plenty.  IMO.   But I know nothing

.image.png.8ae93de0fbba9d6cc561acbcf3505aaa.png

On 4/10/2022 at 3:44 PM, HappyDays said:

Yeah I think they'll draft one and roster 3 TEs this year. No guarantees Knox is back next year.

I know they don't normally use the TAG on players, but in the case of Knox, he likely to get top 5 money anyways. Wouldn't they be wise to use it on Knox next year if needed?

Edited by LyndonvilleBill
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

I know they don't normally use the TAG on players, but in the case of Knox, he likely to get top 5 money anyways. Wouldn't they be wise to use it on Knox next year if needed?

I think the tag on Knox is a genuine possibility. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 4/14/2022 at 6:42 AM, intimidatortj said:

It appears by Beane's actions, the Bills are looking at a number of RB prospects.  Including Breece Hall.   I really think it is to be prepared if one of the top guys falls to pick 57.   If Beane thinks Ken Walker Jr is an upgrade to Motor, then I could see him drafting him.   

But I don't see him forcing it.  Singletary was half decent in December and January.  If another player/position presents itself at pick 57 that is rated higher than the RB, Beane will go BPA.

Singletary doesn’t affect Defensive game plans much.  Josh Allen does and now hopefully opposing offenses have to plan for Von  Miller

34 minutes ago, BobbyC81 said:

Singletary doesn’t affect Defensive game plans much.  Josh Allen does and now hopefully opposing offenses have to plan for Von  Miller

You're probably correct in he doesn't affect the opponents defensive game plan overall, but he still has to be accounted for. With his 4.6 yards per carry last season, it isn't something to sneeze at. Plus he has good pass blocking skills and needs to be part of his evaluation. 

I'm sure I'll get slammed for this, But.😥

Here's my thing. I keep trying to talk myself into a RB, but with Motor, Moss, Johnson and Jones already on the roster for this season I am finding it difficult to draft one this year. Unless someone truly falls, I just don't see it.  Next year would be the year in my opinion. I could maybe see a late round or UDFA though.🤔

On 3/9/2022 at 6:40 AM, YoloinOhio said:

Even if you look at the guys they drafted in 2017 right before Beane came to Buffalo, most of them were visits to Carolina which was interesting and showed that McDermott ran that draft vs Whaley. 

I always believed that between the trade down with Andy Reid and first round corner pick especially right after Poyer and Hyde were picked up. It was a departure from the norm, even more so in retrospect 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.