Rumor- Harrison Phillips not coming back

wiseman3

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills will already be borrowing heavily against future caps so they are basically working off a multi-year model in determining their CURRENT spending..........and in your scenario there is zero net savings over the 2022-2023 combined caps if you keep him this season.

If they keep him........there is an extra approx $4M cap hit though.

He has a $250K roster bonus payment due in a couple weeks........then $225K in workout bonuses for the offseason..........and then $3.5M in unguaranteed salary that fully guarantees if he makes the roster for week 1.

That's $3.75M-$4M that you have to pay him THIS year(in addition to the $2.5M that he got for re-structuring his deal in 2020)..........that $4M is not only a "cap figure" that will further reduce the cap space of those two years(as opposed to cutting him now)............ but it's also real dollars that they can save and use to re-structure other deals.

Future caps are skyrocketing over the next 5 years and they already have the most expensive piece priced in at what will be a relative bargain in 2 years

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 3

19 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's crazy to think he was a healthy scratch early in the year and now it would be a loss if we didn't re-sign him.  I'm pretty confident they'll get a deal done.

just shows how terrible Bean has been at constructing an effective front 7. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, pennstate10 said:

In his podcast, Buscaglia said the numbers from one site were incorrect, and that the Bills had shuffled $2.5 million during a restructuring.

And that Bills will only save $1.5 million off Stars cap # (around 8.3 million i think) by cutting him now or after June 1.

They did guarantee $2.5M of his 2022 salary..........you responded to a post where I noted that figure in the last paragraph.

I think you confused what Buscaglia said.  

Both spotrac and OTC have the figures matched up now and the owner of spotrac, Mike Ginnitti is a WNY'er who is on top of all the Bills contracts...........if Buscaglia knows,  Ginnitti knows.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Future caps are skyrocketing over the next 5 years and they already have the most expensive piece priced in at what will be a relative bargain in 2 years

The caps will of course go up..........but the Bills cap situation is worse than it should be at this stage in their development...........even with normal risk factored in they should be about $30M below the cap without having to do heavy re-structure work.

They are up against it because Beane inexplicably paid starting money for depth players in UFA over the years like Josh Norman or Ty Nsekhe.............and hung on too long to expensive players that he initially overpaid in UFA like Lotulelei, Trent Murphy and Vernon Butler.     He was throwing around $5M deals at every AJ McCarron and Quinton Spain within reach and then dumping those guys just months later.   

That stuff ADDS UP.

$4M may not seem like much to pay a player but if that player is washed and unreliable...........and it's reasonable to expect that's the case with Lotulelei...........that kind of nickel and diming is what got them up against the cap in the first place.

• Like (+1) 2

Strongly doubt the veracity of this, but even if true-- who cares? The entire D-Line is mediocre at best. Add a FA and get one of the Georgia lineman (although I don't know if any will be available to Buffalo after what they did at the Combine).

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Def. cleans up good! 

What always amazes me in these pictures is how Josh Allen (6'5") manages to look the same size or shorter than guys like Harrison (6'3")

image.thumb.png.18e13912b1e2a57aa5cec6a866ed4c54.png

OMG,because he is further from the camera 

IMHO DT is the Bills biggest need whether Phillips returns or not...I felt DT was a huge need last off season...But the 2021 Draft was one of the weakest DT Drafts I've seen in a bit...Plus I think Star's deal...and knowing he was coming back...hedged the Bills a bit. It shouldn't this year. The Bills need more disrupters inside...B-)

13 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Well there is a now 2 day legal tampering period where you can do those things. I’m not saying it doesn’t happen but id assume it’s not happening with the likes of a borderline role player that most people outside of Bills fans have never heard of. The only way that he can know he’s not coming back Is if the Bills told him they don’t want him. No way another team has this guy pegged enough to have him locked up 9 days before the legal tampering period. He’s just not that good.

Then you have Aaron Rodgers.  He says he has deals with 3 different teams.   How can he do that?  Different rules for the stars as always.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills will already be borrowing heavily against future caps so they are basically working off a multi-year model in determining their CURRENT spending..........and in your scenario there is zero net savings over the 2022-2023 combined caps if you keep him this season.

If they keep him........there is an extra approx $4M cap hit though.

He has a $250K roster bonus payment due in a couple weeks........then $225K in workout bonuses for the offseason..........and then $3.5M in unguaranteed salary that fully guarantees if he makes the roster for week 1.

That's $3.75M-$4M that you have to pay him THIS year(in addition to the $2.5M that he got for re-structuring his deal in 2020)..........that $4M is not only a "cap figure" that will further reduce the cap space of those two years(as opposed to cutting him now)............ but it's also real dollars that they can save and use to re-structure other deals.

100% agree...

I can't imagine a scenario where the Bills would keep Star, even if they only save a buck this year. I mean...Why? I don't see the logic. Get younger, cheaper (for at least 4 years), and more dynamic in there. B-)

20 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

100% agree...

I can't imagine a scenario where the Bills would keep Star, even if they only save a buck this year. I mean...Why? I don't see the logic. Get younger, cheaper (for at least 4 years), and more dynamic in there. B-)

IMO, they now have to change their "we need to be 2 deep with vets" at every position mentality with regards to contracts and instead focus available assets on protecting Josh Allen and making him look good............and get better at developing some of the positions they've been overpaying for depth at.    

If Denver were to come to Beane tomorrow and offer their two second rounders(40 and 64) and a 4th in exchange for #25 overall............so they had an extra 1st to deal to GB...........then I would say they should probably take it.     They need talent on rookie contracts.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Now that he has fully recovered from his ACL injury, it would be foolish not to make a reasonable offer. He is on the rise and Star is the most overpaid guy on this roster by a mile. I don't want Star here.He's clearly not motivated and it shows. Sign Ioannis if possible. Edge, CB and OL are much bigger needs for us. I don't want to see a WR or DT in round 1 unless we have sizable upgrades at those positions already signed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.