Would Ya? Sam Darnold Edition?

Virgil

2 hours ago, TBBills said:

Yea I heard Josh is now friends with Patrick Mahomes, I wonder if he will be Josh's backup... you know friend connection.

In a true competition, Patrick could unseat Josh. Didn't say WOULD, COULD. Anyone that replies with a "no way" is just a homer. 

• Vomit 1

59 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

According to who? Where is Trubisky going to go? He wasn't that highly valued leaving Chicago and he has no tape from 2021 to show he is any better or worse.

Do you think it’s more likely that he re-signs with us than going somewhere where he has a chance to start?

8 hours ago, Virgil said:

For clarity, this is based off absolutely nothing besides their known relationship and assumed cuts.

If Sam Darnold gets cut by the Panthers and Fitz doesn't want to come back (my personal hope), how would you feel about the Bills bringing in Darnold as Josh's back-up.  They are known to be great friends and train together with Palmer.  I can't imagine that anyone is going to pay Darnold much of anything on his next contract after being given the keys to the kingdom twice.

Now, I haven't really seen anything of Darnold to believe he can turn his career around, but he does have the proper tools.  He was mentally broken for the Jets and a few years of building his confidence back up could be helpful.  Also, in spot Duty, maybe he could put some games together.

On a side note, think of the fact that we could have Rosen, Josh, and Darnold all on this roster together if we really wanted to.  Hell, even Baker after this season.  It's crazy how that all turned out.

No. 

I don't think Josh needs a "buddy" on the bench.   Josh has that knack of making friends with everyone.  He does need someone who can point stuff out in the room and on the bench and be heard.  There will always be that "I was drafted ahead of you, 3rd overall, I was a Big Star at USC and played on the Big Stage" dynamic between them.  However good-natured they are, make no mistake, these are guys with Big Egos.

The Bills need someone who can play at a good level if needed - say Josh is out for 4 games, we need someone who can win 2 of them. 

Trubisky in Chicago 64% completions, 208 ypg, 64 TD to 37 INTs, 6.7 YPA, 6.6% sack.  These are numbers good enough to win more often than not when supported with defense and with a good run game, and in fact Chicago won 29-21 games with Trubisky at the helm.

Darnold with the Jets and Panthers 59.8% completions, 212 ypg, 54 TD to 52 INTs, 6.5 YPA, 7.6% sacks.  These are not numbers good enough to win more often than not, and in fact the Jets and Panthers won 17-32 games with Darnold at the helm.   The biggest problem there is the INTs.  It's hard to win when the QB gifts the ball to the other team.  KC showed that in the AFCCG. 

I don't think the Panthers are going to cut Darnold.  Why would they?  They owe him $18.9M fully guaranteed if they cut him, or if they don't.  The Giants actually had a reasonable offense under McAdoo as OC, so why wouldn't they see if McAdoo can get them something for their $$ (unless some team wants to trade him, under a 'Panthers keep part of his salary' deal)

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

This is the "fun" time of year where everyone is an option. There are going to be a LOT of salty people when QB room next year is Josh Allen->Matt Barkley->Late day 3 rookie draft picks.

I don't think so since the backup QB doesn't really matter.

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Fine with me.

He's not as awful as the Jets made him seem

Yes he is. He’s had like 6 good games in his career and he is beyond inconsistent. He has almost a 1-1 TD to INT ratio and has 29 fumbles in 50 games. He’s a liability on the field

Darnolds biggest champion is the media. He’s bad

• Like (+1) 1

A successful vet makes sense to me.  Somebody who can contribute to the weekly conversation.  Someone who can win a couple while Josh might be out.  Barkley might still be around, he knows he is a backup.  Fitz would work but would want more money than bills want to pay.  On the other hand, it might make a last chance for Fitz to get a ring, and he might take a "ring chance" discount.  That would work, and he has the teammate skills and knowledge.  I  think Fitz would be great in the role.  Of course ,we know Fitz won't get us to the SB, but, he might be a link in the chain for a few weeks.

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

For clarity, this is based off absolutely nothing besides their known relationship and assumed cuts.

If Sam Darnold gets cut by the Panthers and Fitz doesn't want to come back (my personal hope), how would you feel about the Bills bringing in Darnold as Josh's back-up.  They are known to be great friends and train together with Palmer.  I can't imagine that anyone is going to pay Darnold much of anything on his next contract after being given the keys to the kingdom twice.

Now, I haven't really seen anything of Darnold to believe he can turn his career around, but he does have the proper tools.  He was mentally broken for the Jets and a few years of building his confidence back up could be helpful.  Also, in spot Duty, maybe he could put some games together.

On a side note, think of the fact that we could have Rosen, Josh, and Darnold all on this roster together if we really wanted to.  Hell, even Baker after this season.  It's crazy how that all turned out.

Hey Virg! Hope you’re well.

When you said “my personal hope” about Fitz, did you mean you hope he’s back on our team or you hope he doesn’t want to come back on our team?

The Bills are a perfect landing spot for Darnold once he is no longer being paid like a #2 overall draft pick.  He and Josh are tight, and the Bills have established themselves as a place players come to get better.

It just can’t happen this year.

49 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

It doesn't matter...until it does.

Seattle lost Wilson for a bit and it became a lost season. Arizona lost Murray for a bit and McCoy did just enough to keep their playoff hopes going.

It really doesn't... you can never expect to win with a backup QB which is why it doesn't matter if you go with a rookie. 

Just like when the Bills went with Peterman and Josh, don't be surprised  if they don't grab an expensive backup. 

In that he would be cheap, if he came here, and that he and Josh are friends is all fine and dandy, but as a QB the guy really isn’t any good, hell he’s worse than Barkley, in all seriousness why the F would we want him on this team??  Go for it, change my mind on this guy, 😁👍

Go Bills!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.