Ok time to get rid of Mongo

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Buffalo pizza rates high in National contests and I know a lot of people living in other places that ship it from here to them because the pizza sucks wherever they are living.

That’s cool, but I’m still not a fan. 

1 hour ago, hondo in seattle said:

I'm going to give an unpopular opinion.  As someone who gets around a lot, I think the food scene in Buffalo is lacking.  LA, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Chicago, NY, etc are all much better foodie cities. 

And - some of you will hate me for saying this - I've eaten a lot of wings in other cities that I rate better than the best at Duff's or Bar Bill.   

Yet I think the pizza options in Buffalo are strong.  

And, with all due respect to Mongo, I'm not the only one who notices this.  A writer and pizza connoisseur named Arthur Bovino thinks Buffalo has the best pizza in America:

www.newyorkupstate.com/life-and-culture/erry-2018/08/e68b5f3f671116/buffalo-americas-pizza-capital.html#:~:text=On%20a%20ranking%20of%20the%20101%20best%20pizza,Bocce%20Club%20Pizza%20came%20in%20at%20No.%2074.

And according to Travel & Leisure Magazine, Buffalo has the 3rd best pizza in America:

www.travelandleisure.com/americas-favorite-places-spotlight/best-cities-for-pizza?slide=c6a7a4db-3061-4b05-99d4-f6f1669adc13#c6a7a4db-3061-4b05-99d4-f6f1669adc13

And Smart Asset has Buffalo as #2:

smartasset.com/credit-cards/the-best-cities-for-pizza-lovers-2017-edition

Pizza Hut isn't in the same universe as the best pizzerias in Buffalo.  

I like the way I make my chicken wings as well if not better than a restaurant. The advent of the air fryer changed my life!

WNY for me has the best regional Homemade mom and pop type establishments making unfussy delicious food. Where granted large cities have more dining options with higher rated michelin stars or if you are talking fine FINE dining then I'd agree maybe...but per capita basis?? Hmmmmmmmm now thats an interesting thought.

10 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

It's been about 15 years since I lived I'm buffalo. My favorite pizza in western NY was always Pontillos. I don't recall ever having bad or amazing pizza living in Buffalo.

Rochester I know for a fact has amazing pizza.

So I'm gonna say he's bitter cause he's about to be sliced.

Actually now I remember getting slices on Elmwood when I was at buff state.

And it was good.

Ya he's crazy.

Now here in Raleigh, there's no good pizza imo

Omg, you wouldn’t know good pizza if it but you in the @$$ if you think Rochester had great pizza.  Buffalo’s pizza is equally as bad, but WNY sucks for Pizza.  The wings, second to none.   Raleigh, meh it’s all wanna be NYC pizza, but at least they are trying.  The (reallllllly sad here) true statement made by a friend of mine, Wegmans has one of the best pizzas in Rochester.   I suppose you think Mark’s is good? 🤮🤢🤮. If you say Cam’s or if you are a West sider and get those 1/4 pie slices out by the lake, I won’t disregard your opinion on all things food related, I’ll just understand you have a limited POV.  Where you WNYers ever got the idea your huge slices of flavorless bread with a mediocre crunch, sauce and cheese could even qualify for pizza is beyond me.  I can do better with French bread, jar sauce and pre grated mozzarella.   Everyone that lives in NY should be required to go to Brooklyn or find a place owned by somebody from Brooklyn and get an understanding of why NY pizza is famous.  Calling the crap in WNY, NY style pizza is as accurate as calling the Jets and Giants, NY football teams.

rant off. 

• Dislike 1

51 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

It's been much longer for me since I left the Buffalo area. I was on a quest to find a decent pizza and decent wings in the Raleigh area for a awhile and finally gave up. I am resigned to average at best pizza and when I want wings I make my own. They finally opened a Wegmans near me and, I confess, I have picked up some wings there in a pinch...

I was down in the Wilmington, NC, area for a number of years and this little NY style pizza place opened (can't remember the name) and the same thing happened. They had come down from Rochester, the pizza was really good, and I would stop by for a slice at luch a couple of times a week. Apparently the people in the area just preferred s****y pizza as it didn't do well enough to remain open.

My wife and I saw a Tony's Pizza over off Glenwood Ave while we were trying to find another place. Is that the one you are talking about? 

I think that was Moonlight Pizza on Morgan?

Sounds right, really liked that pizza 

42 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Shouldnt they be Quarter Pounders with Cheese?

If it was on the dollar menu....but it's not.

2 for $3 double cheeseburgers is the best thing in fast food.  I never order combos anymore.  

49 minutes ago, Beast said:

But at least we put socks on our kids feet in inclimate weather!

It's been a long time since I lived in the cold...no one told me crocs were a bad idea in snow.

22 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Omg, you wouldn’t know good pizza if it but you in the @$$ if you think Rochester had great pizza.  Buffalo’s pizza is equally as bad, but WNY sucks for Pizza.  The wings, second to none.   Raleigh, meh it’s all wanna be NYC pizza, but at least they are trying.  The (reallllllly sad here) true statement made by a friend of mine, Wegmans has one of the best pizzas in Rochester.   I suppose you think Mark’s is good? 🤮🤢🤮. If you say Cam’s or if you are a West sider and get those 1/4 pie slices out by the lake, I won’t disregard your opinion on all things food related, I’ll just understand you have a limited POV.  Where you WNYers ever got the idea your huge slices of flavorless bread with a mediocre crunch, sauce and cheese could even qualify for pizza is beyond me.  I can do better with French bread, jar sauce and pre grated mozzarella.   Everyone that lives in NY should be required to go to Brooklyn or find a place owned by somebody from Brooklyn and get an understanding of why NY pizza is famous.  Calling the crap in WNY, NY style pizza is as accurate as calling the Jets and Giants, NY football teams.

rant off. 

You have got to be kidding.

Feliciano is from the NYC area.  I get why he would be/could be turned off by Buffalo pizza..... or at least be one of those people who have so much pride in their local fare, they put down others' attempts.

The older I get, the more I think I prefer the NY style to be honest over the sloppy Buffalo style, although its tough to really poop on the quality and variety of Buffalo pizza.  Ive lived in a number of places and pizza can really be awful.  

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I agree with him.  Buffalo has great food but the pizza sucks and you guys use blue cheese on wings….unacceptable.

You never had LaNova :worthy:& blue cheese is the original with wings plus celery no carrots that's the only way to go anything other than that your not a true WNY er just a transplant or a want to be ! 

• Vomit 1

The best pizza I've ever had was in Brooklyn, at a little shop steps away from Coney Island. 

I've also had a love of Chicago Deep Dish. 

Buffalo pizza is good however. I keep finding myself going back to Picasso's on the regular. A small shop in Batavia, Cinquino's, has really, really good pizza as well. 

Like anything in life, the more effort you put into something the better it is.  In NYC area, pizza is the be-all, end-all.  Nothing really compares.  Just like Buffalo is with wings.  Buffalo pizza is a nice compliment when eating wings, but doesn’t really compare to NYC area pizza.  

1 hour ago, muppy said:

I like the way I make my chicken wings as well if not better than a restaurant. The advent of the air fryer changed my life!

WNY for me has the best regional Homemade mom and pop type establishments making unfussy delicious food. Where granted large cities have more dining options with higher rated michelin stars or if you are talking fine FINE dining then I'd agree maybe...but per capita basis?? Hmmmmmmmm now thats an interesting thought.

I don't know, Muppy.

The West Coast cities from San Diego to Seattle are full of mom & pop ethnic restaurants - some of which are really, really good.  It's not just the fine-dining stuff though San Francisco and LA would both run circles around Buffalo in that category.  And the diversity of good food in that part of the world is amazing: from Asian to European.  

Per capita basis?   That's an interesting way of looking at it and I've never given that a lot of thought. 

I'm certainly NOT saying that Buffalo doesn't have any good food.   But spend some time eating your way through San Francisco and see if there's any comparison.  The Mexican, Guatemalan, Salvadoran, Cambodian, Thai, Filipino, Korean, Italian, French, Ethiopian, Eritrean, and so on is better in San Francisco area.  And if you want world-class chefs, the Napa Valley alone has more of those than all of WNY combined.  

Though the Polish food in Buffalo is better of course.  The pizza (on average) and the wings (on average) are better too.   And you can't find a better Beef-on-Weck any place else!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Pizza’s gone downhill everywhere. Once upon a time anywhere with an Italian American population had good pizza. I remember the phenomenal mom and pop shops back in the day, and this was just one small town. Most of them are long gone. The big corporate model has taken over pizza, and quality has suffered. Most successful small pizza shops expanded to become regional chains covering entire metro areas. Pizza that was once hand tossed often becomes frozen dough made for mass production. That being said, some cities have better pizza others. WNY ranks on the higher end of the scale imo. 

28 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Feliciano is from the NYC area.

Ahh, this all makes sense now. I worked with a NYC guy and he was very snobbish about the pizza here. NYC doesn't have it in their blood to admit when someone else makes good pizza. There are so many varieties of pizza in this area, a lot of them are really good too.