Bills D Missing a Game Wrecker

theRalph

Number one defense my ass.

The problem with rankings is that they are developed using stats from every game played… Including those against bottom feeding teams.

This current iteration of the Buffalo Bills will not win a championship until there is a game wrecker or two on the defensive side.  There are very few if any Super Bowl winning defenses that don’t have some big names on them.

So let’s dispense with his number one ranking crap until there is something to engrave it on.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

So the Bills played a soft zone instead of a more aggressive approach because they were scared of Mahomes and Hill. Mahomes throws for 378 yards, 3 tds and 128. passer rating; Hill gets 11 catches 150 yards and a TD. The defense offered little resistance and didn't defend a single pass all night. 

The Bills d just conceded yards all night long because they were scared. That is ***** embarrassing just letting them have their way out of fear. What a bunch of pussies the coaches are. I felt embarrassed by their cowardice and lack of faith in their team. Mahomes is a ***** hero now because he threw 2 passes to wide open guys while under no pressure. Allen had to move Heaven and Earth to get them the lead and the coaches gutlessly just give away the game and the heroic accolades with no resistance at all.

I am beyond disgusted. GTFOH with that scared, embarrassing defense. It wasn't an embarrassment to lose, it was an embarrassment to play so scared with no courage or faith in your team. Inexcusable.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This tells a lot of the story of our #1 defense:

B Roethlisberger (shell of himself)

J Brissett

T Heinicke

D Mills

R Tannehill

T Tagovailoa

T Lawrence

M White

C Wentz

T Siemien 

M Jones

C Newton

M Ryan (shell of himself)

M Jones

Z Wilson

Look at that list!  The QB’s (and thus offenses) we faced were amazingly horrible. I get that it’s not the Bills’ fault, but also not too difficult to understand why we were #1 D.  They were designed to play with the lead, and in most cases, that’s how these games went.  Then you have Brady and Mahomes.

We just weren’t tested too often with juggernaut offenses. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Definitely agree. The front 7 needs a playmaker/difference maker badly. Somebody the offense has to account for. Considering our open window maybe we move that late 1st for a real edge rusher to replace Hughes/Addison or a MLB that can make plays. Other than a few splash plays by Harry and Oliver, I couldn't remember our front 7, or front 6 doing anything last night.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Yep.

Our "pro bowl " linebacker in Edmunds all season had 0 sacks, 0 forced fumbles, 0 fumble recoveries and only 1 interception.

How is it even possible for a guy to have those stats when he plays that many snaps right in the centre of the play essentially?

Edited by BillsFan130
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Playoffs? said:

J Brissett

T Heinicke

D Mills

R Tannehill

T Tagovailoa

T Lawrence

M White

C Wentz

T Siemien 

M Jones

C Newton

M Jones

Z Wilson

Look at that list!  The QB’s (and thus offenses) we faced were amazingly horrible. I get that it’s not the Bills’ fault, but also not too difficult to understand why we were #1 D.  They were designed to play with the lead, and in most cases, that’s how these games went.  Then you have Brady and Mahomes.

Plus the windy game with 3 attempts. So our stats are basically averaged in with 1 whole less game than the rest of the league. Skewed stat. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Yep.

Our "pro bowl " linebacker in Edmunds all season had 0 sacks, 0 forced fumbles, 0 fumble recoveries and only 1 interception.

How is it even possible for a guy to have those stats when he plays that many snaps right in the centre of the play essentially?

Wow

The Bills should see if Allen can play defense as well as QB. He's already the biggest offensive game weaker the game ever seen and we already ask him to do too much, but what's a little more. At least we will know the defense will play with heart with Allen on the field. 

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

J Brissett

T Heinicke

D Mills

R Tannehill

T Tagovailoa

T Lawrence

M White

C Wentz

T Siemien 

M Jones

C Newton

M Jones

Z Wilson

Exactly. You can beat the Jets and Panthers and Dolphins without a pass rush. Unfortunately those teams don't play in the playoffs.

2 hours ago, theRalph said:

The problem with rankings is that they are developed using stats from every game played… Including those against bottom feeding teams.

This current iteration of the Buffalo Bills will not win a championship until there is a game wrecker or two on the defensive side.  There are very few if any Super Bowl winning defenses that don’t have some big names on them.

So let’s dispense with his number one ranking crap until there is something to engrave it on.

i believe we have him in Greg Rousseau. People Forget he was a rookie. TJ Watt was drafted around the same spot as him, and really came on in year 2. I can see Groot making that same leap.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, theRalph said:

I’ve been saying this all day. We need to trade for Mack and sign Akeim Hicks from the Bears. Both of these guys can break a game open defensively at any moment. I would love to fire Frazier and hire Fangio as well . He knows how to use these guys especially Mack he had his MVP season with Fangio. The Bills need to shake things up and this would be a great way to do it.

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

So the Bills played a soft zone instead of a more aggressive approach because they were scared of Mahomes and Hill. Mahomes throws for 378 yards, 3 tds and 128. passer rating; Hill gets 11 catches 150 yards and a TD. The defense offered little resistance and didn't defend a single pass all night. 

The Bills d just conceded yards all night long because they were scared. That is ***** embarrassing just letting them have their way out of fear. What a bunch of pussies the coaches are. I felt embarrassed by their cowardice and lack of faith in their team. Mahomes is a ***** hero now because he threw 2 passes to wide open guys while under no pressure. Allen had to move Heaven and Earth to get them the lead and the coaches gutlessly just give away the game and the heroic accolades with no resistance at all.

I am beyond disgusted. GTFOH with that scared, embarrassing defense. It wasn't an embarrassment to lose, it was an embarrassment to play so scared with no courage or faith in your team. Inexcusable.

Post of the year man! 

J Brissett

T Heinicke

D Mills

R Tannehill

T Tagovailoa

T Lawrence

M White

C Wentz

T Siemien 

M Jones

C Newton

M Jones

Z Wilson

Excellent points and I would like to add to it. Edmunds is horrible… We need a real lber to run this D. 

23 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Yep.

Seems like every time we play a good team they exploit him just to name a few Indy, Pats first game, Titans , Chiefs Bucs. Nearly every time we lost he was attacked by the opposition 

• Agree 1

I agree we need someone defenses have to prepare for, but I absolutely hate this part of losing. Fans can never believe the other team just was making plays. Mahomes has lit up everyone but Tampa in the playoffs. 

31, 31, 51, 35, 31, 38, 42, 42.

Those are the points scored in every full Mahomes playoff game except Tampa. The key to beating Mahomes is front 4 pressure has to get home.

27 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Yep.

For one, they rarely use Edmunds as a pass rusher.  

It’s amazing how many people don’t seem to understand this around here.  You can’t sack what you’re not chasing.  

I would like to see another DC use Edmunds differently than he is being used.  It’s like they trust his speed so much that they have way off the he ball almost roaming and reacting instead of using his gifts to let him play aggressive. 

Edited by Alphadawg7

1 hour ago, Eddiegoofball said:

Definitely agree. The front 7 needs a playmaker/difference maker badly. Somebody the offense has to account for. Considering our open window maybe we move that late 1st for a real edge rusher to replace Hughes/Addison or a MLB that can make plays. Other than a few splash plays by Harry and Oliver, I couldn't remember our front 7, or front 6 doing anything last night.

Technically Ed Oliver had the only true sack last night from our rotational front 4.  I don't think we blitzed once all night. It's highly doubtful Hughes or Addison return. AJE looked very disappointing this 2nd season and Groot is still a work in progress. Boogie is extremely slow.  Love to sign Max Crosby if he doesn't get extended. We need so much more speed on the outside than we currently have. No clue what happens to Star & Butler but they both might be released.

• Like (+1) 1

Agreed…other teams have that guy on defense you have to plan around…a disrupter that can at the very least blow up some plays on a consistent basis, or even take over a game.  The Watt brothers, Bosa brothers, Mack (when healthy) Von Miller or Ray Lewis in his prime are all examples.  Even from Bills history we have Schobel, Phil Hansen, and of course Bennett and Bruce Smith.

There is a reason no one went to the pro bowl this year other than White…we don’t have “that guy”… free agency and recent drafts have shown that……….but we could use him.

30 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

For one, they rarely use Edmunds as a pass rusher.  

It’s amazing how many people don’t seem to understand this around here.  You can’t sack what you’re not chasing.  

I would like to see another DC use Edmunds differently than he is being used.  It’s like they trust his speed so much that they have way off the he ball almost roaming and reacting instead of using his gifts to let him play aggressive. 

He rushed the passer at least a few times every game minus the Mahomes games. When he did rush, he would get stood up by running backs.

The guy straight up just doesn't make impact plays all across the board and his stats reflect that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.