Mitch Morse ready to retire?

ToBillsFan

He said something that I found interesting in his post game presser. He said specifically that they won’t be back as the same unit again. Now he could have been talking about free agents not returning or new free agents/draft picks coming in but something tells me he will retire. The way he was acknowledging all the KC players and fans as is another tell. He didn’t do that after the loss last year. Then there is always the concussion topic which we know he has experienced.

thoughts?

Edited by ToBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 2

Could care less about re-signing anyone on the defense, and McKenzie - depends on the price - but I’m hoping we extend Bates and bring back this starting unit (while also drafting an IOL early in the draft).  

If he retires that’s certainly not ideal.  

I do tend to think he means as a team.  There’s a bunch of guys on that defense that, not might.. won’t be back next year.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, ToBillsFan said:

He said something that I found interesting in his post game presser. He said specifically that they won’t be back as the same unit again. Now he could have been talking about free agents not returning or new free agents/draft picks coming in but something tells me he will retire. The way he was acknowledging all the KC players and fans as is another tell. He didn’t do that after the loss last year.

thoughts?

Possibly, but he's only 29. And he still has a job to do.

• Like (+1) 1

Here is video of his minutes at the podium after the game.  Several times he did reference not taking the field as the same unit ever again, but I didn't necessarily take that as a personal declaration of departure as much as acknowledgement of the the reality of roster turnover every year in the NFL.  I believe he has in his heart, Beasley, Sanders, Daboll etc...  They are a very close group and he knows there will be turnover, perhaps including himself.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

• ToBillsFan changed the title to Mitch Morse ready to retire?
14 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Turnover on rosters every year.  Players know that.   Don’t read too much into it.  

Could be more than that,  Beane basically did next to nothing from last season after losing in title game.  Other than Sanders and draft,  we were basically the same team.  I think because of all the in season struggles with our line there will be changes.  The Bills can create about 35 million in cap space cutting guys like Star/Addision/Klein/Beasley/Ford/Moss/ Feliciano and a couple of others who play on ST'S.  If they include Morse that goes to around 42-43 million

I think Beane adds a couple of play makers to starting 11 defence. Other than White they have no elite play makers on defence

• Disagree 1

26 minutes ago, ToBillsFan said:

He said something that I found interesting in his post game presser. He said specifically that they won’t be back as the same unit again. Now he could have been talking about free agents not returning or new free agents/draft picks coming in but something tells me he will retire. The way he was acknowledging all the KC players and fans as is another tell. He didn’t do that after the loss last year. Then there is always the concussion topic which we know he has experienced.

thoughts?

I took that to mean some players will not be back next season.  Each team typically turns over 20% to 30% of their roster each year.

Edited by longtimebillsfan

Morse spent an awful lot of time after the game congratulating his former KC teammates and coaches. It certainly had the look of equal parts congratulations and goodbye. 

It's always hard to project our feelings on these players who (let's be honest) aren't our personal friends. But having said that, Morse just seems like an unusually fine and decent man as well as a true professional on the field. Good luck to him wherever the future may hold for him.

• Like (+1) 5

I think there have been some rumblings about Morse retiring. Some dude talked to his uncle in an airport and he implied he wasn’t returning (can’t remember which thread, take with a grain of salt). I think he also takes care of his disabled brother in KC, which he might want to spend more time doing.

4 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I think there have been some rumblings about Morse retiring. Some dude talked to his uncle in an airport and he implied he wasn’t returning (can’t remember which thread, take with a grain of salt). I think he also takes care of his disabled brother in KC, which he might want to spend more time doing.

I just came to post this. There is a poster on this board who said before the season that he talked to Morse's relative and that this would be his final season in NFL. I don't take it for granted but it makes sense to me, and OPs observations seem to confirm it.

If he retires I want to say thank you for what he has done here. He was one of the best Beane's FA signings, and very underrated one.

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

We need to get a couple road graders on the Oline with the center possibly being one of them.

We need a top 10 rushing attack that doesn’t include Josh ( as a staple)

Agreed.  Singletary came on late in teh season but I still feel like the need a Fournette type that can get you 3 yards when you need it.  We also need an OC that doesn't take the middle part of the game to practice his contrarian playcalling.  We have a generational talent at QB and a legit receiving corps, so what does he do?  In the biggest game for this group?  Let's get cute and call a bunch of runs against a DL that was living in our backfield.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

26 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

Could be more than that,  Beane basically did next to nothing from last season after losing in title game.  Other than Sanders and draft,  we were basically the same team.  I think because of all the in season struggles with our line there will be changes.  The Bills can create about 35 million in cap space cutting guys like Star/Addision/Klein/Beasley/Ford/Moss/ Feliciano and a couple of others who play on ST'S.  If they include Morse that goes to around 42-43 million

I think Beane adds a couple of play makers to starting 11 defence. Other than White they have no elite play makers on defence

Why would we cut our starting center just to save cap space? Who plays center then?

Beasley should stay. He's still very good. Extend him 1 year to save space if you want

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.