Fix the OT Rule for Playoff Games--That was Stupid

Nextmanup

Yeah. In general, I think the team that wins the flip only has a relatively slight advantage - they win something like 53%. But with the offenses cooking like they were in the second half tonight, I would have to say winning the flip gives you an enormous advantage - maybe more like an 80% chance. We have OT in the regular season just because fans hate tie games so it doesn't really matter that much. But in the playoffs? No. Each team needs to be given at least one possession. We don't want teams advancing by coin flip.

2 minutes ago, Tulsabillsfanz said:

We would have scored another TD ( KC couldn’t stop us, either). Then we could’ve gone for 2 to decide the game. 

And that would add a whole new interesting dimension to OT. Does the team that scores first go for 2? If not, does the team behind by 7 go for 2 if they score? That kind of stuff is interesting ... sudden death deprives the game of that.

Seems three years Andy Reid thought it was unfair too!

“I think everybody wants a chance for guys to do what they do," Veach told Pro Football Talk. "I don’t really see the downside of having that. Especially when you have a player like Pat Mahomes. It would have been a lot of fun. I think people, if they weren’t already tuned in for a great game, would have turned on that overtime.”

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2019/03/01/andy-reid-chiefs-nfl-overtime-rule-patriots-afc-championship-guaranteed-possession

6 hours ago, Sweats said:

Well, we cant change the rules just cause our team lost, which they should have won, but ****** playcalling and a sieve for a D just aint gonna cut it in championship games.

Dont blame the rules, blame the coaches.

The coaching was an embarrassment and the NFL OT rules are stupid. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

They shouldn't change the rule because the Bills lost.

Change the rule because it's stupid, it's always been stupid; it was so stupid they changed it and made it slightly less stupid, but it's still stupid.

I've felt this way since the Pats beat the Chiefs in OT four years ago.  I'm fine with the OT rule during the regular season but have them play a quarter in the postseason.  If it's still tied then do first score wins.

We were up three with 13 seconds though so I'm not really that concerned about it.

Edited by Doc Brown

8 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

No our coaches are an embarrassment 

8 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The kickoff decision was criminal...I get that.

But it is Mickey Mouse and amateurish to let the game end with only 1 team touching the ball on offense, especially in a game like this.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rule is changed this off season because of this game.

No it won't be changed.

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Seems three years Andy Reid thought it was unfair too!

“I think everybody wants a chance for guys to do what they do," Veach told Pro Football Talk. "I don’t really see the downside of having that. Especially when you have a player like Pat Mahomes. It would have been a lot of fun. I think people, if they weren’t already tuned in for a great game, would have turned on that overtime.”

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2019/03/01/andy-reid-chiefs-nfl-overtime-rule-patriots-afc-championship-guaranteed-possession

Yes, and tried to change them - the other franchises voted it down. Someone said that the Bills voted against the proposal; if so we reap what we’ve sown.

• Agree 1

IMO, about the only thing that would be "fair" would be playing extra quarters until there's a winner.  Maybe keep the current structure for regular season and do it different for the playoffs, similar to the NHL.

Personally, I don't have a big problem with the current set up.

If you can't get the job done in 60 minutes then you're potentially leaving your fate up to a coin toss.

With that said, I was rooting for you guys.  Was sad to see you borrowed our defense for this game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.