For those who attended The Perfect Game live..

QB Bills

13 hours ago, QB Bills said:

First of all, kudos to you for braving the elements. You certainly were rewarded. I'm sure I'm not alone in now regretting not going. 

How was the experience? Was it as cold and uncomfortable as had been forewarned?

How many empty seats? For all the talk of the game not selling out, it sure looked like a full house from the broadcast.

Any other interesting tidbits?

And yes, I'm trying to get "The Perfect Game" to become a thing. 

The only thing is it wasn't the perfect game because Bass missed 2 extra points .

It should be known as "The Boston Massacre" !! or "The Perfect Pat Down" .

• Like (+1) 1

Never got cold during the game. Wore my arctic boots, ski pants and ski jacket with a hat and just standard layers underneath. The lack of wind was key.

Atmosphere was great! Loudest and most packed house of the season. Bills fans all around us ( very few Pats fans compared to what was being reported).

Most exhilarating big game I’ve been to since 51-3.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I was warm. I really wanted to participate on the forums more but wasn't a big fan on taking my hands out of my gloves for that.

The oddest thing was watching people eat in the bathrooms (apparently to stay warm).

There were some Pats* fans there but not for long lol

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

Probably have been to a hundred plus Bills games.  But never a playoff game.  I tried to talk some friends into going but could not so I rented a room in Hamburg and drove out from Rochester.  Flying solo (and because the cold) I did the bar thing so I could stay warm and watch the first game. Parked at Wings on California road and went inside to the bar.  I ordered a Blue Lite, shot of Jameson and some hot wings before my ass hit the stool.  By the way, I have to say the wings were awesome.  Just the right crisp.  Around 7 I tossed on my additional layers and walked to the stadium (such a loooog walk with no bridge but I still am glad I went to that bar)

Once in the stadium you could feel the buzz right away. And then, as others have said the stadium went dark.  What ensued was a 3 plus hour party where every fan in that stadium shared the joy and relief of 20 years.  I'm not a guy who really dances or sings.  Last night we ALL danced and sang all game long.  

Just a night i'll never forget.  Was it cold, yeah a bit.  Would I have changed a single thing about last night?  Never.

GO BILLS!!

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I was NEVER cold for a moment. Granted, I over-prepared for the elements, but at times my gloves were off, my beard was wet with half frozen beer, and I was completely comfortable. No wind was the key. Heck, my 69 year old mother, that tough Sicilian legend, was right beside me the entire time (absolutely swaddled in layers and ski goggles and body warmers and sleeping bags, of course, but there to witness). 

It was awesome from start to finish.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

All of the above.  

Place was full and really loud.  

Very few people left.  

No ill effects from the weather. 

Most fun I've ever had at a football game. 

And yes, it was a perfect game.

Glad I didn't chicken out. 

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Death!

Also, criminals' bank manager who has to 'eat a grenade' in 'The Dark Knight'.

In the interest of accuracy, I got the two Buffalo Bills associated with acting mixed up.  The role of the Grim Reaper (Death) was Buffalo's William Sadler, in 'Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey'.  Mr. Fichtner was the bank manager as cited earlier, and has been more active in recent years.

Easily the most fun I've ever had at a game.

The crowd was electric from the opening kickoff right on through to the final whistle. I don't think I sat down at all aside from halftime, which was perfectly OK with me. Stayed warm with:

- 4 pairs of pants

- 3 pairs of socks

- An unknown # of layers up top

- 2 sets of hand warmers and toe warmers 

- Gloves, hat, and scarf

But the key to the warmth? Cardboard under my feet. I usually start noticing how cold my feet are around half time, but I was good throughout. I'll never not bring cardboard again when it's < 30 degrees. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, junior said:

Easily the most fun I've ever had at a game.

The crowd was electric from the opening kickoff right on through to the final whistle. I don't think I sat down at all aside from halftime, which was perfectly OK with me. Stayed warm with:

- 4 pairs of pants

- 3 pairs of socks

- An unknown # of layers up top

- 2 sets of hand warmers and toe warmers 

- Gloves, hat, and scarf

But the key to the warmth? Cardboard under my feet. I usually start noticing how cold my feet are around half time, but I was good throughout. I'll never not bring cardboard again when it's < 30 degrees. 

I realized early on that I was OVER prepared. I was actually preparing like I was going skiing in the same conditions, which means that wind (even on a calm night) becomes a factor. So I had a face mask and ski goggles on top of all the other cold weather layers and warmers, to ensure NO EXPOSED SKIN. But truth be told, I never pulled the goggles down from my forehead, and rarely even covered my face with the mask. Heck, I had my gloves off much of the game. 

Still can't believe how comfortable I was in those temps.  

• Like (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

In the interest of accuracy, I got the two Buffalo Bills associated with acting mixed up.  The role of the Grim Reaper (Death) was Buffalo's William Sadler, in 'Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey'.  Mr. Fichtner was the bank manager as cited earlier, and has been more active in recent years.

Let us not forget Roger Van Zant from "Heat".

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, T master said:

The only thing is it wasn't the perfect game because Bass missed 2 extra points .

It should be known as "The Boston Massacre" !! or "The Perfect Pat Down" .

I’m surprised you didn’t make a thread about it!  Inc?

15 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I was NEVER cold for a moment. Granted, I over-prepared for the elements, but at times my gloves were off, my beard was wet with half frozen beer, and I was completely comfortable. No wind was the key. Heck, my 69 year old mother, that tough Sicilian legend, was right beside me the entire time (absolutely swaddled in layers and ski goggles and body warmers and sleeping bags, of course, but there to witness). 

It was awesome from start to finish.  

Love that you were able to kick it at the game with your moms.  👍🏻 A memory of a lifetime 

• Like (+1) 1

Given the cold temps our group shifted to an indoor tailgate option, hanging out with some friends at their place in OP.  It was a good idea.  We got to a parking lot on Abbott by 7:15, and I was in the stadium before 7:45.  I was in the club section and I'm sure that alone made this a super spreader event...still waiting to see if I managed to escape Omicron.  Nobody inside the club was masked up, but I didn't expect them to be, either.  My seat was near one of the overhead heaters and while it provided a little bit of relief it was still very cold.  I'm an old pro at bundling for cold weather games so nothing on me was cold except my hands, whenever I removed my gloves.

I drove up to the game from NC by myself and while I had friends at the game all around the stadium they did not have extra seats so I sat by myself.  The group around me were awesome and by the middle of the 1st quarter we were already fast friends.  I really didn't drink at all at the game, as I wanted to completely savor the moment.  Couple of beers in the afternoon, then one hot chocolate and Skrewball at halftime.

This was the third best home game experience of my lifetime, trailing only 51-3 and The Comeback.  Given those games were 31 and 29 years ago, respectively, this felt particularly good.  There have been other games with more drama, but 51-3 is the most similar because of the overall feeling of euphoria that came over the crowd by halftime.  The 2nd half was one big coming out party.

So glad I made the trip; it's one I would have absolutely regretted not making.  Left OP at 7:30 on Sunday morning and lost about 90 minutes of time on bad roads in Virginia, but pulled into my driveway at 6:30 -- in time to watch the Dallas implosion live.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.