Raiders interim coach: keep or can?

Doc

Raiders interim coach: keep or can?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Raiders keep Rich Bisaccia as HC?

• Yes, he's earned it already
    • No, the team needs someone better
    • Only if he wins 1 playoff game
    • Only if he wins 2 playoff games
    • Only if he wins 3 playoff games
    • Only if he wins the SB

He was a hot coaching candidate just a few years ago.  I think there remains a prejudice against special teams coaches as head coaches, despite your John Harbaughs and Bill Belichicks.

Joe Judge and his disaster in NY won't help matters - he was a long time ST coach that straight up failed.  

Bisaccia and Dave Toub (KC's ST coach) always get the interviews but not the commitment.  

5 minutes ago, Doc said:

My son and I were having this discussion last night.  I asked him if he'd keep RIch Bisaccia.  He wouldn't, I said I would after taking the team to the playoffs despite all the turmoil.  What say you?

I would say maybe.  I would interview him and the players, but I would want to do my due diligence and interview limited others and see what shakes free.

I would replace him if a big time coach - Harbaugh for example breaks free, but would not replace him with a Dabol/Frazier/or series of other OCs that don’t call the offense.

It does not matter to me win or lose - I just want to look at options before deciding Bisaccia is the future.  I have no issues keeping him, but if an improvement is available- go for it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

It depends on what the Raiders are aiming for.  If they are looking for a year or two of stability where they can go at best 9-8, then yeah go ahead an keep him.  But I think their playoff run has more to do with Indianapolis having Carson Wentz at Quarterback, and Lamar Jackson being hurt.

Looking at their schedule for next year I think they are at best a 6 or 7 win team.    As such, I wouldnt offer the guy any sort of long term contract to only have to pay him to eventually not coach the team once he is fired.    The Raiders should be looking at long term sustainable success, and I dont think he is the guy to bring that to the team.  Personally I'd find someone else.

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, dpberr said:

He was a hot coaching candidate just a few years ago.  I think there remains a prejudice against special teams coaches as head coaches, despite your John Harbaughs and Bill Belichicks.

Joe Judge and his disaster in NY won't help matters - he was a long time ST coach that straight up failed.  

Bisaccia and Dave Toub (KC's ST coach) always get the interviews but not the commitment.  

Bill was a DC

No. I'd can him. Nice guy, done a nice job in keeping the ship together. But some of his coaching decisions have been a little odd and I am not sure without the power of fighting against adversity as a motivation he is really the guy I want to turn over control of my franchise to. 

A lot depends on what they think of Mayock and their current roster. If they want to run things back one more year then maybe keep him, but it wouldn't surprise me if they do and he ends up 1 and done as a permanent Head Coach. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, dpberr said:

Belichick was a longtime DC, not a ST coach.

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

No. I'd can him. Nice guy, done a nice job in keeping the ship together. But some of his coaching decisions have been a little odd and I am not sure without the power of fighting against adversity as a motivation he is really the guy I want to turn over control of my franchise to. 

A lot depends on what they think of Mayock and their current roster. If they want to run things back one more year then maybe keep him, but it wouldn't surprise me if they do and he ends up 1 and done as a permanent Head Coach. 

Yeah, I’d try to keep him as ST coach/assistant HC, but he is not the answer. They were a very lucky team this season.

• Agree 1

I think the Raiders with Gruden were headed in the same direction as the Texans were with Bill Obrien at the HC position & the fact that Gruen won a SB with the team that Tony built never set well with me because after that what did he do ?

He wanted and got ultimate control & i don't think a franchise or the team can operate like that maybe in the rare occasion but Rich was thrown into the fire and took the ship & is now on the verge of the play offs that shows good on him .

I would wait until the end of the season while doing the exit interviews and ask the players for their input. What do you think, what did you see, how did he handle certain situations & then go from there to make a decision .

I know there have been a couple of times that has happened here in B/lo & i would have like to have been able to see what if anything the interim HC could have done if given control the following year like when Perry Fewell took over i always though he may have been a good HC . But we will never know ...

11 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

A franchise owned by:

image.jpeg.aad66c17c6f7a694bf06e43e57791b1d.jpeg
🤔

• Haha (+1) 3

Depends on who they could get. If they were to hire a Leslie Frazier type (and nothing against Frazier here) then they may as well stay with RIch Bisaccia. Same steady influence that could bridge the team to the next phase.

If they could get Harbaugh yo leave Michigan or some other guy that is a no brainer upgrade then you make the change. 

I think in this case a well you take the time to ask the vets on the team what they would think about keeping Bisaccia and factor that in as well.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

Little less recent but Marv Levy was a ST coordinator prior to becoming a HC.  The other notable example is Mike Ditka.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.