Dolphins fire Brian Flores

YoloinOhio

11 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Who knows. If Herbert goes to Miami where the owner and/or GM didn't want him, maybe he'd be just as screwed.

He might have less success there if the whole system surrounding him was messed up, but I think a player of THAT ability would shine no matter where he landed.  His talent would be obvious even on a bad team in a losing effort.

I'm thinking of Troy Aikman getting killed in 4 win seasons (or whatever they were) early in his career.  You still knew he would be great. 

• Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I suppose it would of been a pretty clear joke if he said after any of the Patriot games.

Not that far out of the realm considering all of the ridiculous praise the media was heaping on Jones earlier this year.  Then again, it didn’t seem like Flores had that relationship with Tua…but, who knows?

7 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Allen probably would’ve been ruined on the Jets.  And Allen had a lot more questions heading into the draft than Herbert.  Heck, I bet Beane would’ve taken Darnold over Allen at the time.  Tua and Herbert was definitely more of a debate and Dolphins failed in that decision miserably.  

How, Herbert was easily the number 1 QB... The Fish just have piss poor scouting and decision making!

37 minutes ago, CorkScrewHill said:

The owner likes Tua. It appears Flores didn't.

Per Lombardi “Remember I said there was commentary between the head coach and Tua during the season and I wouldn’t reveal what the conversation was. Well, the conversation was, hey, if I’d have knew you were going to be this bad, I would have picked Mac Jones. That’s the conversation.”

I kinda feel bad for Tua as he may not be a great QB .. but that is harsh

Full story here:

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2022/01/brian-flores-told-tua-tagovailoa-he-should-have-picked-patriots-qb-mac-jones-instead-per-michael-lombardi.html

Both have noodle arms and pose no serious threat to the Bills

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Doesn't that go to the GM's account?  Did he get fired too?

And with that 20/20 hindsight thing going on....Darnold ahead of Allen isn't looking too smart

If you’re the GM, you say “My job to get coach the players he wants.”  

But of course, yes it should go on the GM.  A lot of disfunction over at Miami Gardens

12 minutes ago, BrooklynBills said:

1. Lombardi already has had to come out and say that this is not something that Flores said to Tua.

2. Both Omar Kelly and Amando Salguero (long time Dolphins beat reporters) have said that if Flores preferred Herbert that the Dolphins would have drafted him and that at the time of Tua's drafting that all 3 (Flores, Grier, Ross) were on board with drafting Tua. It wasn't until after Flores began to work with Tua that soured on him as a player.

So if Flores wanted Herbert and the other 2 wanted Tua, Flores would have gotten his way?  I find that hard to believe.

9 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Allen probably would’ve been ruined on the Jets.  And Allen had a lot more questions heading into the draft than Herbert.  Heck, I bet Beane would’ve taken Darnold over Allen at the time.  Tua and Herbert was definitely more of a debate and Dolphins failed in that decision miserably.  

I doubt that.  Merely for the reason that Beane likes to draft athletic freaks.

Just now, Sherlock Holmes said:

How, Herbert was easily the number 1 QB... The Fish just have piss poor scouting and decision making!

They seemed to fall in love with Tua from his NC winning days, kind of like the Jets seemed to fall in love with Darnold based off his freshman season.  First impressions, I guess.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

9, 10, 17, 10, 9, 24, 3, 34 L, 24  That is what the defense allowed in the last 9 games, didn't know Tua played defense as well.

Did enough to win the games and not lose them. Not saying he's a great QB or anything... but winning (or not losing) is the #1 objective for a QB.

Tua was fine for the most part this year. Nothing to suggest he's a star in the making or anything, but certainly wasn't a disaster like people like to imply. Their offensive line (and particularly RT) were so bad it pretty much broke the offense this year. He was #3 in the league in terms of getting the ball out quickly and his RT still managed to lead the league in pressures allowed. That's almost impossible.

It's not a situation like the Jets with Darnold where Darnold played like crap but the Jets held out hope that with a better supporting cast, it would elevate him from terrible to great. With Tua, it's more hoping that if you fix the OLine, it could elevate him from adequate to great.

I doubt he can be great even with a good OLine at this point, but Tua wasn't really the thing holding this team back. If anything, his ability to make people miss in the pocket and get the ball out quickly probably helped them to avoid being the worst offense in the league (and instead just be a bottom 5 offense).

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BTB said:

Some of this Herbert talk is revisionist history.  If I recall correctly, there were a lot of questions prior to the draft regarding his desire to be a great NFL QB/mental makeup. 

That draft was viewed as Burrow being the top dog and most people having Tua as the #2 guy with Herbert getting some love here and there. Some of the prominent draft people's big boards:

McShay: Burrow #2, Tua #7, Love #20, Herbert #24

Kiper: Burrow #2, Tua #5, Herbert #9, Love #21

Jeremiah: Burrow #2, Tua #6, Herbert #20, Love #23

Brugler: Burrow #2, Tua #6, Herbert #18, Love #19

Miller: Burrow #2, Tua #6, Herbert #27, Love #31

1 hour ago, CorkScrewHill said:

The owner likes Tua. It appears Flores didn't.

Per Lombardi “Remember I said there was commentary between the head coach and Tua during the season and I wouldn’t reveal what the conversation was. Well, the conversation was, hey, if I’d have knew you were going to be this bad, I would have picked Mac Jones. That’s the conversation.”

I kinda feel bad for Tua as he may not be a great QB .. but that is harsh

Full story here:

https://www.masslive.com/patriots/2022/01/brian-flores-told-tua-tagovailoa-he-should-have-picked-patriots-qb-mac-jones-instead-per-michael-lombardi.html

Because 67.6% completion and a passer rating of 92.5 is so much better than 67.8% completion and a passer rating of 90.1

image.thumb.png.d707dd38d7a4e375927ee40e42614dc2.png

That's 217 net yds per game  for Jones and 202.2 net yds per game for Tua

As far as the story, I think it sheds light on why many of Belichick's assistants haven't made the grade as HCs. 

Apparently Belichick has a known, sarcastic sense of humor that uses comments like "Foxboro HS has been getting those snaps right all year" or "I could bring in 2 guys off the street who could handle that" as coaching tools.

That probably plays better coming from a 6x Superbowl Champion/arguably GOAT coach than from a guy who is just getting started or who has a 24-25 W-L record over 3 years.

From the sound of it, Flores, like a lot of guys from the Belichick barren coaching tree, can't seem to figure out the mix. 

Belichick isn't really overtly nasty, rude or a jerk to his players any more than any other coach. Sure, he's gruff and grumpy and short sometimes, but he doesn't act like a total ass the way a lot of his assistants who get jobs as HC seem to. IMO they are trying to imitate him and in doing so go overboard. 

With Bill, it's work, followed by work, with some more work. No time for goofing around, laughing, or feeling joy. But you don't hear stories about him disparaging players. 

Mostly guys complain that nothing is ever good enough in NE for Bill and his staff. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

From the sound of it, Flores, like a lot of guys from the Belichick barren coaching tree, can't seem to figure out the mix. 

Belichick isn't really overtly nasty, rude or a jerk to his players any more than any other coach. Sure, he's gruff and grumpy and short sometimes, but he doesn't act like a total ass the way a lot of his assistants who get jobs as HC seem to. IMO they are trying to imitate him and in doing so go overboard. 

With Bill, it's work, followed by work, with some more work. No time for goofing around, laughing, or feeling joy. But you don't hear stories about him disparaging players. 

Mostly guys complain that nothing is ever good enough in NE for Bill and his staff. 

The big difference is Bill is funny when he is mean, and is usually right regardless.

His assistants all try to mimic the attitude, but don't have the sense of humor or underlying knowledge to go with it.

https://theathletic.com/2889665/2021/10/29/its-fun-at-gunpoint-the-comedy-stylings-of-bill-belichick/

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

The big difference is Bill is funny when he is mean, and is usually right regardless.

His assistants all try to mimic the attitude, but don't have the sense of humor or underlying knowledge to go with it.

https://theathletic.com/2889665/2021/10/29/its-fun-at-gunpoint-the-comedy-stylings-of-bill-belichick/

I think that's it. Bill is usually right and he actually is pretty witty. 

Guys from his coaching tree just seem straight up mean. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.