2020 WR class revisited!

FireChans

This class shook out to be kinda weird:

Obviously of the first rounders, Ruggs is done. Jeudy is a disappointment due to health. Jefferson and Lamb have delivered. Aiyuk looked promising but had a weird drop off this year in the first 8 games or so. Reagor is likely a bust.

In the second rounders, Higgins is a great WR, Claypool looks good if not immature, Pittman, Van Jefferson and Shenault look like starters. 

But now to our guy. Gabe Davis is currently the 10th highest in his class for receiving yards and second in TD's, not bad for the 17th receiver off the board. He's also 10th in catches, which means he is likely impacted by fewer targets than a lot of the guys above him.

As it shakes out, Gabe may end up being one of the top 8 WR's in his class, probably outpaced by Jefferson, Lamb, Higgins and Claypool but right on their heels in the next group. He may end up being better than Jeudy if he doesn't get his body figured out.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

In a re-draft Jefferson would be first off the board with Lamb and Higgins 2nd and 3rd in some order. 

I thought Gabe was a steal in the 4th then and still do. He'd have gone 2nd round in a weaker class and he'd go 2nd round in a re-draft.

I really liked KJ Hamler in that draft, and I think you may have as well.  Unfortunately he may be another Goodwin. Great athlete but not built for NFL life.

18 minutes ago, FireChans said:

I really liked KJ Hamler in that draft, and I think you may have as well.  Unfortunately he may be another Goodwin. Great athlete but not built for NFL life.

He and jeudy are being held captive by the broncos QBs.  

• Like (+1) 4

30 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Obviously of the first rounders, Ruggs is done. Jeudy is a disappointment due to health. Jefferson and Lamb have delivered. Aiyuk looked promising but had a weird drop off this year in the first 8 games or so. Reagor is likely a bust.

In the second rounders, Higgins is a great WR, Claypool looks good if not immature, Pittman, Jefferson and Shenault look like starters. 

But now to our guy. Gabe Davis is currently the 10th highest in his class for receiving yards and second in TD's, not bad for the 17th receiver off the board. He's also 10th in catches, which means he is likely impacted by fewer targets than a lot of the guys above him.

As it shakes out, Gabe may end up being one of the top 8 WR's in his class, probably outpaced by Jefferson, Lamb, Higgins and Claypool but right on their heels in the next group. He may end up being better than Jeudy if he doesn't get his body figured out.

A lot of great WR talent.  The class lived up to its hype.  Before the horrific accident Ruggs has having a pretty good year.  I don’t think we’ve heard the last of Jeudy either.  

I’m really high on CeeDee Lamb as well.  Gave stacks up well to them and I’m expecting big things from him next year as he should be the unchallenged WR2

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

In a re-draft Jefferson would be first off the board with Lamb and Higgins 2nd and 3rd in some order. 

I thought Gabe was a steal in the 4th then and still do. He'd have gone 2nd round in a weaker class and he'd go 2nd round in a re-draft.

Here is the redraft:

Jefferson

Lamb

Pittman

Claypool

Aiyuk (Tie)

Gabe

Fill in the rest in any order

• Disagree 1

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Gabe Davis was my most pleasant draft surprise in years. It was odd in the Covid era since we had no idea what to expect from camp, etc., but week one he was on the field and immediately impressed! The guy has great hands and toes! 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, DrDare said:

No, Hes under fill in the rest, whats your fascination?

You should watch him play more.  If you did there’s no way you would say that claypool, gabe or Aiyuk are better.  He’s really good 

3 minutes ago, DrDare said:

Theres more than 1 Higgins, Im thinking about the guy on Cleveland

That explains it. Tee is a baller

2 minutes ago, DrDare said:

Theres more than 1 Higgins, Im thinking about the guy on Cleveland

Ah. That explains it. Rashad Higgins sucks. 

Tee Higgins has more yards than everyone in his class except Lamb and Jefferson and of his 141 NFL receptions.... 117 were for first downs or touchdowns. That is a staggering number. Clutch.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Ah. That explains it. Rashad Higgins sucks. 

Tee Higgins has more yards than everyone in his class except Lamb and Jefferson and of his 141 NFL receptions.... 117 were for first downs or touchdowns. That is a staggering number. Clutch.

I forgot about him, put Tee up there somewhere but not above Lamb still

Just now, DrDare said:

I forgot about him, put Tee up there somewhere but not above Lamb still

He is right there with Lamb IMO. There numbers are very, very similar through two years and both spent most of their rookie year playing with a backup Quarterback. I think Lamb has a more well rounded skill set and is the better natural route runner but Tee Higgins is already one of the top half dozen downfield outside receivers in the league. He is very like a young AJ Green in some ways. You are not gonna ask him to run a lot of option routes or come across the middle of the field a ton but you are gonna match him up on a corner outside and you are gonna throw him the football when you need a play and trust him to go get it for you. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

In the second rounders, Higgins is a great WR, Claypool looks good if not immature, Pittman, Jefferson and Shenault look like starters. 

He’s better than Claypool.

• Agree 2

Lamb is really over rated, he is horribly inconsistent.  I’d take:

Jefferson

Pittman

Higgins

Lamb

Davis 

Have got screwed over with the signing of Sanders.  He should be the 2 on this team all the time.  He’s been the best performer all year.  Of course Diggs is getting his, but he’s had a sub par year vs what he did last year.  Davis has BALLED OUT. 

16 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Jefferson

Pittman

Higgins

Lamb

Davis 

Have got screwed over with the signing of Sanders.  He should be the 2 on this team all the time.  He’s been the best performer all year.  Of course Diggs is getting his, but he’s had a sub par year vs what he did last year.  Davis has BALLED OUT. 

I'd take Lamb then Higgins everyday of the week over Pittman at this point, But they are still only two years in, but that's just my opinion I guess.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Lately, he's making a Billiever out of me that he could turn into a #1 just like his idol, Fitzgerald.

From the beginning his hands really impressed, like crazy good catches right from 5he start. Though I thought his ability to get open was schemed and he's never had to face doubles.....These last few games though.....

Magnifique.

Jefferson looks like a starter.

Understatement of the season. Jesus. 

37 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Jefferson

Pittman

Higgins

Lamb

Davis 

I think Sanders and Davis are much closer than many on the board are willing to admit. I do think age is catching up to Sanders and being the consistent number two is wearing him down unfortunately. The dude was slick early in the season. Some

seem to have forgotten about that. Everybody was on the ES hype train early on and were wondering why Josh wasn’t looking his way. 

That said, I think Sanders was an insurance policy with Davis and Beasley willing to risk 10 days. Because both were willing to miss 10 days and possibly 2 games, he got the live reps. 

22 minutes ago, billrooter said:

I'd take Lamb then Higgins everyday of the week over Pittman at this point, But they are still only two years in, but that's just my opinion I guess.

From a raw number standpoint, yeah I see your point.   I think Pittman would be thriving with a real QB and a pass centered offense.  His game is really complete.  I see your case and I see why you would feel that way, it’s just my opinion he’s higher.

6 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think Sanders and Davis are much closer than many on the board are willing to admit. I do think age is catching up to Sanders and being the consistent number two is wearing him down unfortunately. The dude was slick early in the season. Some

seem to have forgotten about that. Everybody was on the ES hype train early on and were wondering why Josh wasn’t looking his way. 

That said, I think Sanders was an insurance policy with Davis and Beasley willing to risk 10 days. Because both were willing to miss 10 days and possibly 2 games, he got the live reps. 

I was not on that train.  Since he got here, he’s been worried about his catches.  I didn’t like and still don’t like the signing. 

4 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

From a raw number standpoint, yeah I see your point.   I think Pittman would be thriving with a real QB and a pass centered offense.  His game is really complete.  I see your case and I see why you would feel that way, it’s just my opinion he’s higher.

I was not on that train.  Since he got here, he’s been worried about his catches.  I didn’t like and still don’t like the signing. 

Where do you get that vibe? I’ve never gotten that feeling from Sanders.

That said, I really don’t think the Bills make a signing like Sanders if 2/3 of our starting WR’s didn’t willfully risk missing 2 games. 

10 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Not just a number standpoint, Lamb is just alot more explosive IMO. Alot of his inconsistencies may be due to the fact that Dallas has so many options when you figure in Schultz emerging this year, Pollard out of the backfield, Cedric Wilson has been really good as well, in 2-3 games this year.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Where do you get that vibe? I’ve never gotten that feeling from Sanders.

That said, I really don’t think the Bills make a signing like Sanders if 2/3 of our starting WR’s didn’t willfully risk missing 2 games. 

He was playing the game, making sure he let the reporters know how elite Josh was from day one, he gets pissy when he’s not getting the ball, always has.   He’s never been a true #1 and always wants the ball like he is one.

1 minute ago, billrooter said:

Not just a number standpoint, Lamb is just alot more explosive IMO. Alot of his inconsistencies may be due to the fact that Dallas has so many options when you figure in Schultz emerging this year, Pollard out of the backfield, Cedric Wilson has been really good as well, in 2-3 games this year.

Oh I agree Lamb is more physically gifted. I’ve been watching the Boys quite a bit this year and drafted Lamb to my Fantasy team, the fact is, he flat out goes brain dead a lot.  He’s dynamic as it gets in space, but I think he’d be a bust without all the weapons around him to take pressure off.

5 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

He was playing the game, making sure he let the reporters know how elite Josh was from day one, he gets pissy when he’s not getting the ball, always has.   He’s never been a true #1 and always wants the ball like he is one.

Oh I agree Lamb is more physically gifted. I’ve been watching the Boys quite a bit this year and drafted Lamb to my Fantasy team, the fact is, he flat out goes brain dead a lot.  He’s dynamic as it gets in space, but I think he’d be a bust without all the weapons around him to take pressure off.

I see your point as well, I also had him fantasy. The inconsistencies in fantasy sucked (thank god I had Kupp), but I wish Dallas had less options and Dak didn't spread the ball out so much as I think his numbers would be quite a bit better.

2 hours ago, Mango said:

Lol the second Jefferson was supposed to be Van. Didn’t realize it til you said it.

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Jefferson

Pittman

Higgins

Lamb

Davis 

My thing with Pittman coming out and I still feel this way is, what is he special at? 

He does a lot of things well. He was a very safe pick, very high floor. Just not sure I see that special trait. With Lamb it is his ability to create with ball in hand, with Jefferson it is route running with Higgins it is contested catch ability.... Pittman is a good all rounder. I struggle a bit with where his special is. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

I believe Beane was at the pro days of Jefferson and Higgins and was not overly impressed with them so he traded our first for Diggs. Maybe some questionable scouting because they have both been very good so far, luckily Beane nailed it by getting Davis in the 4th round though.

19 minutes ago, CapeBreton said:

I believe Beane was at the pro days of Jefferson and Higgins and was not overly impressed with them so he traded our first for Diggs. Maybe some questionable scouting because they have both been very good so far, luckily Beane nailed it by getting Davis in the 4th round though.

Suspect he was impressed but thought they needed time to develop.  Turns out Jefferson needed no time, he was pro ready.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

My thing with Pittman coming out and I still feel this way is, what is he special at? 

He does a lot of things well. He was a very safe pick, very high floor. Just not sure I see that special trait. With Lamb it is his ability to create with ball in hand, with Jefferson it is route running with Higgins it is contested catch ability.... Pittman is a good all rounder. I struggle a bit with where his special is. 

I can see that argument, he reminds me of Larry Fitzgerald in that respect, but I will say he has not been targeted enough to have that type of impact.  Maybe a more fair comparison would be an Eric Moulds type.  The other thing you have to look at with his current production, who else on that team scares anyone?  He gets ALL the best corners and help, the only other threat is a bruising running back.  The Colts don’t throw a lot and don’t have/haven’t had a QB to really use him well.  

Jefferson is an animal, really showing himself to be a top WR from day one, hard to believe he fell that deep in the draft.   Lamb is a physical freak, but I don’t see a great player, I see a Peerless Price.  Cooper gets the #1s, and they are 4 WR deep with real talent, plus a dangerous run game, he’s not getting lock down corners thrown at him.  Again, in space great, having to create separation from a real CB and make tough catches, he’s not special, at all. 

Higgins, we’ll he should be a Bill, but he’s in a situation where he’s not getting all the attention and has a borderline great QB throwing him the rock.  He’s making the most of it.  I don’t think he’s a number 1 either, but he’s a real good player.  As long as he has a true 1 to play off of, he’s going to put up big numbers, make him THE guy and he will struggle. 

Davis, also gets the luxury of not being THE guy, but he’s a lot like Pittman in the respect of being a really good all around player.  He has #1 traits, I’d like to see the Bills give him the full time starting job and let him play.  I’m not saying he’s going to be an All-Pro, but the guy can be a 1000 yard, 8TD guy and that’s damn good.

13 hours ago, FireChans said:

In the second rounders, Higgins is a great WR, Claypool looks good if not immature, Pittman, Van Jefferson and Shenault look like starters. 

& Hodgins has seen the filed for a handful of plays. Win some, lose some.

12 hours ago, Augie said:

Gabe Davis was my most pleasant draft surprise in years. It was odd in the Covid era since we had no idea what to expect from camp, etc., but week one he was on the field and immediately impressed! The guy has great hands and toes! 

Agree. Didn’t it also seem like Hodgins was getting good press from that camp and we saw a couple of videos of him making plays? 

58 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

I can see that argument, he reminds me of Larry Fitzgerald in that respect, but I will say he has not been targeted enough to have that type of impact.  Maybe a more fair comparison would be an Eric Moulds type.  The other thing you have to look at with his current production, who else on that team scares anyone?  He gets ALL the best corners and help, the only other threat is a bruising running back.  The Colts don’t throw a lot and don’t have/haven’t had a QB to really use him well.  

Jefferson is an animal, really showing himself to be a top WR from day one, hard to believe he fell that deep in the draft.   Lamb is a physical freak, but I don’t see a great player, I see a Peerless Price.  Cooper gets the #1s, and they are 4 WR deep with real talent, plus a dangerous run game, he’s not getting lock down corners thrown at him.  Again, in space great, having to create separation from a real CB and make tough catches, he’s not special, at all. 

Higgins, we’ll he should be a Bill, but he’s in a situation where he’s not getting all the attention and has a borderline great QB throwing him the rock.  He’s making the most of it.  I don’t think he’s a number 1 either, but he’s a real good player.  As long as he has a true 1 to play off of, he’s going to put up big numbers, make him THE guy and he will struggle. 

Davis, also gets the luxury of not being THE guy, but he’s a lot like Pittman in the respect of being a really good all around player.  He has #1 traits, I’d like to see the Bills give him the full time starting job and let him play.  I’m not saying he’s going to be an All-Pro, but the guy can be a 1000 yard, 8TD guy and that’s damn good.

On the Higgins struggling as a #1... he put up over 900 yards and 6 touchdowns as a rookie when he was the #1 despite his starting QB missing half the season. I think he would be a very good #1. He isn't Chase level talented because he isn't as complete or versatile. But he is an excellent player. 

9 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Gabe is in this boat too no?

4 hours ago, CapeBreton said:

Jefferson being basically a superstar out of the box was similar to Mahomes. Impossible to predict. Impossible to hold fault at a GM for.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.