flashback 2018 espn draft coverage of Josh pick

First Round Bust

first time seeing this for me, on that nite I was home plate ump doing a HS game and was direcretely checking cell phone between innings...when the pick was announced I was not exactly happy as I ignorantly did a group think and fell in line with the critical pundits who questioned accuracy, lackluster Wyo season, etc...

will it be Josh Rosen or Josh Allen....this is one of the top ten moments in team history...the birth of a franchise qb...

He only had two offers

those  Wyo highlights look similar to his Bills

Mel Kiper was nothing but positive - he's Randy Johnson, he's a big-time talent, he's a difference maker

Wyo was 15-33 in the 4 years prior to Josh and 16-9 - 4 losses by 3 points in his two seasons...agains similar story to his Bills seasons....

t

Edited by First Round Bust
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 13
  • Thank you (+1) 7

I always enjoy watching that...loved the pick on draft night, and love that he is locked up for a long time here even more!  I was blessed to live through the Kelly era, and I can say Josh is already my favorite Bill of all time to watch play.  

• Like (+1) 16
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 7

12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Who is the second "iffy" pick...and who are the 2 sure fire ones that are lack luster...just curious.  I only ask as I don't recall drafting anyone that was seen as a sure fire pick actually.  Not being sarcastic, just don't recall one being seen as a sure fire guy, let alone 2.  Im guessing the other "iffy" pick is Tre though.  

I think he is referring to baker and darnold as sure fire and Lamar and josh as the iffy ones .

• Like (+1) 2

I admit I was a Baker guy I liked his moxie and brashness planting the flag on Ohio State turf took kahonees :)

But with him off the board it was Josh Allen all the way.

Darnold = another USC bust

Rosen= BA and entitled

Lamont = TT V2

Beane got the right guy and the guy he wanted all along

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Mel Kiper smartest man in the room that pick.

Iirc, he had a similar take in the McShay/ Kiper pre draft special. In the closing segment they were asked aside from Mayfield/ Darnold who would emerge as the best QB from that draft. Kiper replied “ Josh Allen”

• Like (+1) 4

There’s a small moment in that video that says everything you need to know about Josh Allen. In the biggest moment of his young career, seconds after being selected, he pointedly breaks off an embrace with Goodell to go shake hands with the Bills fan on stage. 

Lots of players shake hands with fans, but it was the way he moved Goodell aside and made a point of greeting this fan that sticks with me. It’s just 2-3 seconds in a whirlwind, but it shows Josh knew, even then, how important the fans are to this game…and how important he would become to them. 

Edited by WickedGame
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I still wonder if Mayfield or Darnold were on the board if Beane would have made the same deal to move up and get them or draft them at our original spot.

There are rumors that there was one other guy the Bills would have taken aside from Allen, or even over Allen if both were available.

Either way Allen remains one of the biggest outliers in recent history, maybe all time in terms of QB evaluation.

• Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.