Derrick Henry likely will come back in time for playoff

syhuang

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32986843/tennessee-titans-discussing-derrick-henry-possible-return-ir

-------------------------------------

Titans coach Mike Vrabel said Monday that the team has discussed Henry being designated for return from injured reserve this week, which would allow him to practice.

"We've discussed it," Vrabel said. "We'll see where that goes. He [Henry] is doing some work today and we'll see when that window opens and probably make a decision midweek."

The Titans will have a 21-day practice window to activate Henry once he's designated for return to practice. ESPN's Dianna Russini reported Sunday that Henry was on the practice field last week jogging in cleats. Henry fractured his foot early in the Titans' 34-31 victory over the Indianapolis Colts in Week 8. He had foot surgery on Nov 1. The injury typically has a six- to- 10 week recovery time period.

The Titans don't have any definite plans to play Henry in Week 18. But there is a belief within the building that he will be back in time for the playoffs, especially if they get the first-round bye.

18 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Believe it when you see it Dept.

Absolutely.  Vrabel will play this out as far as he possibly can, with all the "he's almost ready" talk.  

I don't think he'll play except maybe toward the end of the playoffs, if the Titans survive that long.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, TBBills said:

Don't really care, the Bills had that game won, out gained them. Banana peels don't happen twice.

We’ve had multiple banana peels this year 😂 moss got tackled by the ground and we ended up with 0 pts in the NE game lol not quite a banana peel but josh stepped one mm out of bounds on a scramble against the bucs and we ended up losing in OT too lol this team is like 6 inches away from having the one seed locked up.  Not only are we 0-5 in close games we have lost most of them by literally inches 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Just now, motorj said:

I don't see what the hype surrounding Henry is all about. He has never helped lead his team to the super bowl and I don't see it happening this year as well

They are a consistent high floor/medium ceiling type team that is always gonna be good enough to win any game in the playoffs but I don’t think they’ll ever win the 3-4 on a row it takes to win the super bowl.  Seems like most of the competitors in the afc are built that way this year which is pretty interesting.  From our point of view though that’s a scary team.

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

They are a consistent high floor/medium ceiling type team that is always gonna be good enough to win any game in the playoffs but I don’t think they’ll ever win the 3-4 on a row it takes to win the super bowl.  Seems like most of the competitors in the afc are built that way this year which is pretty interesting.  From our point of view though that’s a scary team.

I agree with you and it's why I still say the road to the Super Bowl will go through Kansas City.

No way in the world Tennessee has what it takes to win a SB, or even appear in one IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I agree with you and it's why I still say the road to the Super Bowl will go through Kansas City.

No way in the world Tennessee has what it takes to win a SB, or even appear in one IMO.

Yea I agree…I don’t blame the pats for structuring their team that way while mac develops but I think Tennessee is always going to have some fundamental issues.  One of the other top afc teams is gonna force them into a shootout whether it’s us or kc or the bengals and I don’t think someone like tannehill can carry the load.  In todays nfl you really need a qb that can do it all to build around and Henry has been a crutch for that titans team.  Gotta say though they were pretty competitive without him too 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

This was always expected. And it very well may have done them a favor.

Titans were using DH a TON. He would have likely been pretty worn for the playoffs. Comes back just in time to be well rested and fresh. 

While I agree he will be rested, I wonder what type of shape he will be in. It’s actually difficult to get into shape during the season or for that matter even during training camp. When I think about how difficult it is to do anything when you aren’t suppose to put weight on your foot, I wonder what Henry has been doing to stay in shape. 

26 minutes ago, motorj said:

I don't see what the hype surrounding Henry is all about. He has never helped lead his team to the super bowl and I don't see it happening this year as well

Fair point. 

36 minutes ago, motorj said:

A team winning a SB is a team statistic; has nothing to do with the RB or any one individual, including the QB.

I agree the Titans aren't winning the SB this year, but Henry is still a hell of a back who has the ability to give us fits if he play and he is healthy.

But just because Vrabel says he's almost ready to come back (or implies that) doesn't mean he actually is almost ready to come back.

Bills are going to have a chance to exorcise a lot of demons in true gauntlet fashion in a few weeks.

If they do make a deep run it's going to be earned given the potential list of opponents they may have to run through starting with the Patriots and Belichink in a playoff game, then possibly going back to TEN with Henry returning in round two.

1 hour ago, motorj said:

He's a beast. If he's anywhere near 100% the Titans with AJ, a bye, and home field will be a tough team for the Bills to win. First things first win the first home playoff games. 

2 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

This was always expected. And it very well may have done them a favor.

Titans were using DH a TON. He would have likely been pretty worn for the playoffs. Comes back just in time to be well rested and fresh. 

Their run game has actually averaged more yards and the same YPC without Henry. Exhibit A as to why you don't pay RBs big money, even if they are a first ballot HOF caliber player.

Edited by Big Turk

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.