Josh 17 rtg: just wowww !

Italian Bills

1 hour ago, UKBillFan said:

I'm slightly worried that he keeps returning to forcing it. He seems to pick up the best way forward but not sustain it. How much time does he need to settle in this form of play? Last week he was a £258m man; this week it seems like we've overpaid. The inconsistency in the passing game needs to be sorted out and quickly.

Fantastic on the ground, though.

You realize your saying the Bills overpaid for a guy that’s less then 150 yards from 5000 total yards of offense and has 42 total touchdowns? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Sort of a weird game by him. Passed really well at times (including on 3rd down). But I did notice that he basically ignored all the underneath stuff. Knox would go out for little

5-yard routes, would be wide open, and JA just wouldn’t throw the ball. i think he was looking for the bigger plays all day. 

He tends to try to overperform at home. He really wants to get the fans into it and I think he plays a bit too loose, especially in first halves. It wasn’t terribly windy but he was rifling balls with his arm on 5 yd slants etc causing all those early drops. Catching balls on cold/wet days is hard for WRs. 

• Agree 1

Reminded me alot of rookie josh allen in the aspect that there were some big drops early and it seemed to snow ball with josh and he kinda forced some stuff. Ya he had some heat on some of those passes but we are talking about world class athletes they can catch lasers. But it finally felt like josh was able to be off and the rest of the team didn't absolutely crumble. Devin and the defense picked him up, and josh still did enough on the ground to get the win.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

It’s a good omen that we still scored 29 points even though he stunk.

Shows how incredibly under rated his running ability is. Terrible passing today but absolutely dominant running. 

Huge in the first quarter. And then big again in the third quarter converting crucial third downs.  

Few QBs in this league can have an overall okay game with passing number like Josh had today. 

5 hours ago, UKBillFan said:

I'm slightly worried that he keeps returning to forcing it. He seems to pick up the best way forward but not sustain it. How much time does he need to settle in this form of play? Last week he was a £258m man; this week it seems like we've overpaid. The inconsistency in the passing game needs to be sorted out and quickly.

Fantastic on the ground, though.

Don't overreact to individual performances or especially individual plays. It's never as bad or as good as it seems.

This game had poor weather conditions and multiple dropped balls by receivers (including another dropped TD). Two of Josh's INTs were tipped passes.

Josh just needs to play in some more of these bad weather games to get a better feel for what he can and can't do. There's a real adjustment that needs to be made for these games. Receivers have cold hands and the ball is harder, so catching his bullet passes is a lot more difficult, receivers are slower out of their breaks because of poor footing, etc.

• Agree 1

This is what should have happened every single time the QB has great difficulty passing in a game. Every...single...time!!

Guess what? Suddenly the crappy Buffalo O line and RBs are good enough to win games. The OC simply needs to do his job properly in setting up a decent run scheme and call more run plays... instead of just keep calling pass plays that aren't working. 

5 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Honestly if you didn't show me the stats I would have never thought he played that bad.  Outside of the first INT which I thought was a poor decision, I thought he played fine.

Yeah.. regarding his passing game it was pretty poor. I agree with some of you that everybody can have a bad performance, it happens, but can you honestly say that Josh could have had a 17 rtg ? Me not at all, a 60 maybe, maybe… not a 17. 

Like i said i’m sure Josh we’ll learn from this, he’s the first who understand it. 

ESPN thinks he did well. His QBR is 61.5 for this game, further illustrating how useless QBR is.

Allen did some nice things on the ground, but he'll be the first to tell you that this was one of his poorest games. But he still did enough to win and has lots to learn from and work on for the next poor weather game.

9 hours ago, DrPJax said:

Yeah, you make great points.   We finally have a franchise qb, why can’t we try to protect him more in games like this.?   Daboll came out throwing ; I mean throwing to Dawkins on first and goal from the one when we have a rb capable of taking that in.  It’s that kind of stuff that will get you beaten by a GOOD TEAM , PLAYOFF TEAM, or worse yet , lose your franchise qb for a year with an acl or other injury.  

They completely got away from what had just worked well against the pats!  Mckenzie had few targets if any.   It’s the inconsistency of game plans that is maddening at times.   This type of first half against a team in the playoffs and you usually lose.  When you have 4 turnovers , give up a defensive score , and score after the other team ( stats this year according to nfl network show team that scores FIRST WINS almost 75% of the time !) , the odds of coming back or winning are really against you.  Why we kept avoiding the run until the third int is crazy, but that’s how Daboll operates.  

Josh was having a bad game. Why it took so long to run more , or start off trying to run when the falcons are 31 st against the run I think is just not good coaching.  Luckily, the Falcons head coach out dimmed Daboll ! 

The Dawkins play went for a touchdown last year.  We had probably half a dozen snaps in the redone immediately prior to that play, so I don't blame Daboll for trying something different.  Unfortunately the Falcons swallowed it up.  And unfortunately the whole stadium knew it was going to Dawkins because it was the first time he reported as eligible all year, and it was after Doyle was reporting as eligible as the extra TE.   So maybe run it with Doyle next time. 

Same situation, by the way, on the next snap.  Moss checked in and played a split role.  Whole stadium knew it was QB sweep time.  And we still scored. But again, we had tons of snaps down there and there's only so much in the proverbial bag of tricks. 

9 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

He tends to try to overperform at home. He really wants to get the fans into it and I think he plays a bit too loose, especially in first halves. It wasn’t terribly windy but he was rifling balls with his arm on 5 yd slants etc causing all those early drops. Catching balls on cold/wet days is hard for WRs. 

I’m with you bro…. i agree that is a “hearth man” before a “brain man”. Sometime it could be dangerous… but i’ll take the first one every single day, no question. He wanna get the fans and the entire stadium engaged, i love that. 

Josh “illegal arm” Allen, you are our man! You are a f…..g warrior !

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Kenosha2Buffalo said:

Who cares .. even when he was bad , he was better then everyone else. He didn't even have a good game passing and still was the best player offensively.. you people look to much into stats . 

Didn’t call him out at all.. i just said WOOOW… cause I don’t think he ever had a performance that bad on passing aspect. He did everything else great, his running yards were outstanding. 

5 hours ago, MJS said:

ESPN thinks he did well. His QBR is 61.5 for this game, further illustrating how useless QBR is.

Allen did some nice things on the ground, but he'll be the first to tell you that this was one of his poorest games. But he still did enough to win and has lots to learn from and work on for the next poor weather game.

I think that QBR is more fair. Obvi Josh didnt play great but I really didnt think he played the worst game of his career. For the first three drives he was on point throwing until it was goal to go. He racked up so many incompletes at the goal line before he just ran it in. Many balls went right off of players hands. Sure than can be on him but also he was putting the ball where it needed to be at least. Then two tipped pass ints and we basically abandoned the pass all together.

After that he was dominant as a rusher. Usually a 17 rating with 3 ints means you won despite your QB play. But I dont think we win that game without JA.

11 hours ago, Mango said:

Josh might have been the best football player on the field today. But he wasn’t the best QB. 

It happens. Got the W. On to NJ. 

Odd take. 

It’s not illegal in the NFL for a quarterback to move the ball on the ground and score touchdowns on the ground.

Joshua was still the best quarterback on the field. It wasn’t really even close. It’s not like Matt Ryan was having a good day through the air.And when Ryan did try to show off his mobility he was flagged for two penalties.

Bad passing day for Allan? Yes. Bad day at the office overall for Allan? No, not really.

It’s good to have a quarterback that’s not a one trick pony. Majority of quarterbacks put those kind of numbers up through the air their team is not putting up 29 points.

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, jletha said:

I think that QBR is more fair. Obvi Josh didnt play great but I really didnt think he played the worst game of his career. For the first three drives he was on point throwing until it was goal to go. He racked up so many incompletes at the goal line before he just ran it in. Many balls went right off of players hands. Sure than can be on him but also he was putting the ball where it needed to be at least. Then two tipped pass ints and we basically abandoned the pass all together.

After that he was dominant as a rusher. Usually a 17 rating with 3 ints means you won despite your QB play. But I dont think we win that game without JA.

That's all fine and dandy, but this WAS one of Allen's worst games. That's fine, because we still got the win. Even in one of his worst games he was able to overcome it and still make some plays.

A rating of 61 is ridiculous, though. Aaron Rodgers is at 67 for the season. 50 is supposed to be average. The dude threw three interceptions and had less than 50% completion percentage. QBR highly overrates rushing stats.

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

That's all fine and dandy, but this WAS one of Allen's worst games. That's fine, because we still got the win. Even in one of his worst games he was able to overcome it and still make some plays.

A rating of 61 is ridiculous, though. Aaron Rodgers is at 67 for the season. 50 is supposed to be average. The dude threw three interceptions and had less than 50% completion percentage. QBR highly overrates rushing stats.

But the rushes were very useful. Many went for long gains, and he had two TDs off of them. How can you overrate rushes, especially ones that turn into scores? Are they any worse than passes? If you turned every JA running play into a pass with the same result in yards and scores he had a pretty good game. I dont think a 61 QBR is ridiculous but maybe its a bit high.He was dominant, it just wasnt through the air.

Edited by jletha

5 minutes ago, jletha said:

But the rushes were very useful. Many went for long gains, and he had two TDs off of them. How can you overrate rushes, especially ones that turn into scores? Are they any worse than passes? If you turned every JA running play into a pass with the same result in yards and scores he had a pretty good game. I dont think a 61 QBR is ridiculous but maybe its a bit high.He was dominant, it just wasnt through the air.

Add up his rushing and passing. He still turned the ball over more than he scored. If it was all through the air we would still be saying that he had a relatively poor game for his normal standard of play.

It's not the end of the world. Even the best QB's have bad games sometimes.

Allen did not have a good game as a passer.

That said, he was phenomenal as a runner and made the passing and running plays he had to make like on 3rd and 4th down conversions.

The INTs happened as they will with a QB who likes to push the ball downfield, but he otherwise played high level situational football making key plays on the 2 Singletary TD drives. 

35 minutes ago, MJS said:

Add up his rushing and passing. He still turned the ball over more than he scored. If it was all through the air we would still be saying that he had a relatively poor game for his normal standard of play.

It's not the end of the world. Even the best QB's have bad games sometimes.

Sure it wasnt his best day compared to what weve become used to. But it was you that said a few times that it was his worst performance ever and I just dont think thats true.

14 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Sort of a weird game by him. Passed really well at times (including on 3rd down). But I did notice that he basically ignored all the underneath stuff. Knox would go out for little

5-yard routes, would be wide open, and JA just wouldn’t throw the ball. i think he was looking for the bigger plays all day. 

It's like when he doesn't feel the other team is a real threat, he feels free to "be who he is" and go for the big plays, and then he gets in trouble.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

I am convinced this is a trend for Josh in bad weather games. Can someone point this out to our QB coach or to Jordan Palmer?

Jordan needs a camp in California mountains somewhere they can make snow.

Or maybe a camp in Wyoming and this will make his fans there very happy!

13 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I'm concerned with his passing today, I don't how you can't be. I'm usually more of a Josh defender, but today was not good. It has been amazing to me how teams can shut our passing game down at times. Something is out of sync still. Thought we'd get on a roll and had figured it out coming in. Truth is we are still unreliable throwing against certain schemes. I know some of you want to get the pom poms out. I just can't, it was disappointing and I won't believe we can perform consistently enough throwing it until I see us do it. Sorry, but it was a very poor, disappointing and concerning passing effort.

I think this is a smart take as well. 

The Bills still don't get many passing plays that just work. Even in 2019, it felt like Allen had more time to survey the field and fire fastballs down the seam. It felt like the offense had more slants.

Now, it just feels like our passing game is all diving on the sidelines with miracle catches, and somewhere in the middle of the season when we couldn't run, the Bills worked more running back dump-offs and screens into the passing game. 

From my perspective it's Allen running around and chucking down the field. 

Part of this, in my opinion, in lack of trust in the offensive line. You could see Game 1, the Bills wanted 4-5 wide all game. But the Steelers collapsed the line and from that point on the Bills haven't been nearly as aggressive, and this line has been in the bottom half of the league this season. 

Two, the Bills Coaching staff has still not made changes to the starting lineup. Emmanuel Sanders is viewed as a locked-in starter, and Gabe Davis had no role on this team for 3 months. Now, it's obvious to them that Davis should be on the field more than 33%, but Davis lost all those reps to Sanders, even though Sanders was slowing down in October. 

Same thing with McKenzie. This team goes right back to Beasley yesterday and forgets McKenzie. I don't know what they're watching. When McKenzie gets the ball he gets into the endzone, Beasley doesn't. 

Even with Diggs this team still doesn't throw slants. 

Also, the Bills don't have the WRs that get deep and allow Allen to uncork deep balls. We haven't had that since Robert Foster in 2018. We don't have that kind of WR. The Bills have no deep ball and haven't for 3 years. 

I also think this has been a down year for Brian Daboll. We don't run consistent pre-snap motion, Diggs is not moved around the formation, up until the last couple of games we were still having Zack Moss come in the Red Zone, because of the line we rarely run drag routes across the field. We saw it in New England, and it's been sparse this year other than that. 

We get nothing out of any Tight End outside of Knox. The Bills have always been weak and thin at Tight End, and there is nothing behind Knox, or anybody to push Knox. 

• Like (+1) 2

repost

our wr / and offense struggles mightly against sticky man. theres no one that absolutlely blows by with speed. and thers no jump ball 50/50 guy on the team. gabe davis is close but not chase, any of LAC WR or GB WRs. knox cant beat sticky man either. and if they dont get refs to call the illegal contact and holdings (last year KC champ game) theyre in trouble. other effects of this lead to allen holding the ball longer. more running around. more OL holding. and sacks

really only guy is mackenzie and hes a gadget player when all our WR are healthy

allen is phenomenal. He still has another level to reach in term of pure passing/ timing/ touch/ all the throws. he likes deep / short comebacks (no YAC) , and sideline. thats it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jletha said:

Sure it wasnt his best day compared to what weve become used to. But it was you that said a few times that it was his worst performance ever and I just dont think thats true.

Maybe you are thinking of somebody else. I think it is one of his worst performances, but I don't recall saying it definately was his single worst performance ever.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.