Cordarrelle Patterson shout out.

Chicharito

7 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I would 100% support Beane signing Patterson as a surehanded returner, gadget player, emergency WR/RB and overall character guy.

He was not that great today. Had a career year but I think is on the wrong side of 30.  If we need him that’s a big failure concerning Stevenson with a fulll off season to improve and another short term rent like Sanders who has really been an overall ineffective signing this year.  We don’t have a great deal of cap space and that o line needs at least a couple of new vets. Protect your main investment, Josh , and get him another young weapon or two to grow with.  If our d , who usually gives up chunk plays every game contained him completely, just bringing him in as a returner only seems counter to how Beane / Mcd have operated in the past.    Great story about the OP ‘s son tho!   

• Like (+1) 1

Don’t need his receiving skills.  Don’t need him as a running back.  If it’s only for his kick return abilities, then no.  Too much dinero.  

We do need help in the KR department for sure.  Especially watching our last years guy, Andre Roberts, take it back 101 yards today. 

5 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Don’t need his receiving skills.  Don’t need him as a running back.  If it’s only for his kick return abilities, then no.  Too much dinero.  

We do need help in the KR department for sure.  Especially watching our last years guy, Andre Roberts, take it back 101 yards today. 

Sanders is a FA, Beasley might be gone.  Moss isn’t very good.  We don’t trust any returner we have minus Hyde.  While he’s going to be too expensive, he’d be a perfect fit on this team.  Rb, wR, returner. Let’s start adding players that can play more than ONE ST role, a la Taiwan Jones and Andre Roberts.  

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, krf139 said:

He wants to be a Bill next year 

When he was available i wondered why the Bills never gave him a look especially given the fact that McD likes guys that are versatile and can play multiple roles for the team it just seemed that he would be a really good fit with the Bills & he could be that bigger guy in the back field if needed ! 

5 hours ago, davefan66 said:

I think a player that can play multiple positions is quite valuable. Not only that, but he’s been pretty effective in every role. He would be the top KR/PR and could be utilized as the third down RB and as a 4th/5th receiving option. He would definitely play outside of emergency situations. He’s near the top of my wish list in the off-season. 

18 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

I think a player that can play multiple positions is quite valuable. Not only that, but he’s been pretty effective in every role. He would be the top KR/PR and could be utilized as the third down RB and as a 4th/5th receiving option. He would definitely play outside of emergency situations. He’s near the top of my wish list in the off-season. 

His career has not been very good but an all round player with sure hands will be quite useful for the Bills. We need to get comfortable with such 1-2 year rental role players as we continue to be a post-season fixture. The overall team needs to be stacked with draft picks, key impact roles staffed via FA and 1-2 added every now and then for positions which are thin in the draft and FA.

Besides, wasnt somebody "complaining" that we only have one 1st rounder on offense? Patterson can be the second 🙂

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/2/2022 at 7:04 PM, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

I would 100% support Beane signing Patterson as a surehanded returner, gadget player, emergency WR/RB and overall character guy.

agreed but only if the money is right-the cap strapped Bills have to tip toe through these contracts like its a mine field.

2 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Unfortunately I do not think the combination of his age and projected payout is what Beane is looking for. 

Yeah can't believe he will already be 31 next season! I expect a bit of a youth movement on the Bills ST next season. T Jones is 34, Kumerow is 30 and both are FA.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/3/2022 at 3:00 AM, davefan66 said:

I think that's missing a point.

Where Cordarelle really came on in Atlanta is as a dual run/pass threat.  He racked up 1166 yards from scrimmage on offense: 618 rushing for 4 y/a, 548 receiving for 10.5 y/a.  Plus of course, kick returning.

The Bills tried to use Breida in this role, but the experiment failed for several reasons including ball security, inability to figure out who to block and get it done (fact), and potentially problems with grasping the offense (that's a rumor, I don't know if it's true).

At the end of the season, the Bills started to use McKenzie on runs outside the tackles out of the backfield, and Beane commented that "Isaiah really helped our running game".  But it's unclear whether 1) McKenzie wants that role 2) McKenzie would be sure-handed enough in that role 3) McKenzie's 178 lb frame would hold up against the punishment of that role.

Patterson is a relative Tank at 6'2", 220 lbs, yet he is fast with a 4.42 sec 40 time.  He didn't start being used as a dual-threat until 2018 (age 27) in NWE, so even though he's turning 31, he doesn't have the wear and tear on his body that a RB has at that age.

I believe he can block, from what I understand.

I don't know what his market or salary would be, but one line of thought has been that we're missing that Thurman Thomas dual threat guy, and while it would be great to draft and develop that piece, Patterson could fill an immediate need.

He signed with Atlanta for $3M after signing in Chicago 2 yrs/$10M

He is friends and former teammates with Diggs - they overlapped in Minnesota.

3 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

Unfortunately I do not think the combination of his age and projected payout is what Beane is looking for. 

What do you see as his projected Payout?

43 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I haven’t a clue, but I trust Spotrac and they project him getting a 2 year deal averaging a little over $9M per. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/atlanta-falcons/cordarrelle-patterson-12309/market-value/

Eh.  I think Spotrac is problematic when it comes to a player like Patterson, or for that matter a player with a somewhat unique skill set like Milano.

They projected Feliciano, Williams, and Milano all as getting more than they did, and while in part that may have been taking a bit of a discount, I think it also reflects both a skillset that won't suit all schemes (thus a limited market) and sometimes areas where stats don't tell the whole story.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.