If Daboll and/or Frazier leave, who do you want to replace them?

Buddo

I'm curious as to who is either available, or might be a good fit, for either our Offense or Defense, should Daboll or Frazier leave.

I can think of only two obvious candidates, for either side, as 'in house' promotions.

On Offense Dorsey, and on defense Washington.

Of those two, I see Washington as a far better possibility tbh, as he's been a DC before. I also think that as a DC, he ended up being something of collateral damage, when Tepper took over.

I'm ambivalent about Dorsey, but I don't know how influential he's been. Personally, I'd rather see someone who has some sort of track record as a coordinator, for the Offense.

Trouble is, I don't really know who is, or even might become, available.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

3 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

I nominate @Big Turk or @Billsfan1972

Based on their threads, they seem to have their fingers on the pulse of this team....

I'll pass....  Coming here the day after the game and being critiqued for not running the ball enough and playing smash mouth football, or scoring 35+ points is taking away the old time aesthetic you crave, would be too much.....😜  

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Honestly I don't see either one going anywhere.  Daboll and the Offensive staff have done a great job with Josh, but you do wonder sometimes what's up with the playcalling and issues on the OL.  I'm not sure Daboll will be successful as a HC, and I'm not sure he wants to leave this situation unless it is a really perfect opportunity.  I do wonder if this team might be better on Offense now that Josh is where he is with a different OC, but on the flip side it certainly could get worse.

Frazier has been good, but he didn't do so well in his stint as a HC and his defense is statistically impressive but not exactly a unit that imposes its will.  Teams are sometimes reluctant to try another time with successful coordinators that haven't been very successful as HCs.  McDermott also seems to have some point each season where he has to insert his input to change up the D - which he should, but I worry way less about DC than OC with McDermott as HC.

My point is that these two coordinators are good, but not great HC candidates.  They will definitely get their looks, but I wouldn't be surprised if neither gets a HC job.  I can't see the Raiders going with Frazier, and I know that has legs, but the Raiders are not exactly what I see as a fit with their strength on Offense.  I could see Leftwich way before Frazier. 

Also, looks like the Jags are going with Doug Pederson - which is a really bad hire, IMO - after Reich left his staff that team and staff was not the same and Pederson showed himself to be a real clown when things were unraveling in Philly.  Reich is a really good coach and its hard not to like him even if you hate the Colts. 

22 hours ago, Buddo said:

I'm curious as to who is either available, or might be a good fit, for either our Offense or Defense, should Daboll or Frazier leave.

I can think of only two obvious candidates, for either side, as 'in house' promotions.

On Offense Dorsey, and on defense Washington.

Of those two, I see Washington as a far better possibility tbh, as he's been a DC before. I also think that as a DC, he ended up being something of collateral damage, when Tepper took over.

I'm ambivalent about Dorsey, but I don't know how influential he's been. Personally, I'd rather see someone who has some sort of track record as a coordinator, for the Offense.

Trouble is, I don't really know who is, or even might become, available.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Mike Zimmer if the Vikings part ways with him would be an amazing hire with the defensive personnel 

Offensively someone from Kyle Shannahans coaching tree to implement a zone running scheme as I think Josh would be amazing in a scheme which utilized his play action skills off of this 

• Like (+1) 1

I wonder if McDermott just promotes from within. Seems like the most likely option to me, but maybe not.

If so, my guess is Ken Dorsey as OC and either Eric Washington or John Butler as DC. (there were rumors that McDermott wanted Washington as his DC when he was first hired but Carolina promoted, and I remember another rumor about Butler but can’t remember the exact details). 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Vic Fangio is a great defensive mind but it is a very different scheme to McDermott's that isn't happening. 

Did McDermott groom any defensive assistants whilst in Carolina?  We know he and Beane like familiarity.

9 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Did McDermott groom any defensive assistants whilst in Carolina?  We know he and Beane like familiarity.

The D Line coach was Eric Washington who had a pretty ropey year as the Carolina DC in Rivera's final year there leading to Ron eventually stepping in to call plays. 

Al Holcomb was the linebackers coach he is now back with Carolina as the defensive run game coordinator after a spell as defensive coordinator in Arizona where the head coach was McDermott's secondary coach in Carolina - Steve Wilks - who was one and done as Head Coach in Arizona and then one and done as DC in Cleveland. 

Holcomb is the one of those three that I would be most interested in personally but Washington would be the overwhelming front runner. 

12 minutes ago, Wizard said:

Shanahan for OC. I would like to see bubble screens and other short passes to our funnjng backs.

DC would be someone that gets the most out of a pash rush and stopping the run.

Shanahan is the best offensive play designer in the NFL but he is employed as a Head Coach. He isn't taking a demotion.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.