If Daboll and/or Frazier leave, who do you want to replace them?

Buddo

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The D Line coach was Eric Washington who had a pretty ropey year as the Carolina DC in Rivera's final year there leading to Ron eventually stepping in to call plays. 

Al Holcomb was the linebackers coach he is now back with Carolina as the defensive run game coordinator after a spell as defensive coordinator in Arizona where the head coach was McDermott's secondary coach in Carolina - Steve Wilks - who was one and done as Head Coach in Arizona and then one and done as DC in Cleveland. 

Holcomb is the one of those three that I would be most interested in personally but Washington would be the overwhelming front runner. 

Shanahan is the best offensive play designer in the NFL but he is employed as a Head Coach. He isn't taking a demotion.

I highly doubt that Daboll will get a head coaching gig. It's going to be very hard for any owner/GM to sell him to a fan base as an "answer" who inspires confidence. He has the look of a coordinator lifer to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I highly doubt that Daboll will get a head coaching gig. It's going to be very hard for any owner/GM to sell him to a fan base as an "answer" who inspires confidence. He has the look of a coordinator lifer to me. 

I think he will get one eventually if he stays as the coordinator of a high powered offense. I don't expect him to get one this year, but the pool of candidates is getting emptied out so quickly that anyone who has a track record over multiple years as a coordinator eventually gets a gig. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he will get one eventually if he stays as the coordinator of a high powered offense. I don't expect him to get one this year, but the pool of candidates is getting emptied out so quickly that anyone who has a track record over multiple years as a coordinator eventually gets a gig. 

The fact that he looks like a schlub won't help his cause on some teams. Unfair but it's a fact of life. That said, Matt Patricia, who has a very similar background -- both have engineering degrees from excellent schools; both worked for the Pats; both were coordinators; both look like schlubs -- got a HC job. 

6 hours ago, Ayjent said:

Actually Matt Nagy wouldn't be a bad choice if Daboll leaves and has ties to the same coaching tree as McDermott.

I just threw up in my mouth.

As a Bills fan in Chicago, this is too reminiscent of when we hired another Bears wash-out in Jauron. The day Ralph hired Jauron was one of the worst days of my football life. I know Nagy used to be looked at as an offensive guru, but people here now consider him one of the worst coaches ever. To people here, Nagy as OC in Buffalo would be looked at like we'd see the Bears bringing in Marrone for OC. Hopefully Beane & McD have asked Trubisky his opinion on Nagy... Please no.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

(although I dispute Carson Wentz looked amazing, he looked dreadful to me)

Ok. Maybe amazing is a bit off but he was competent enough. But, just like Tannehill he wasn't sacked once in that game as well. Converted 66% of 3rd downs and no turnovers. This basically tells me even the most mediocre of QBs with a good run game will give this D problems. Elite pass defense is great but if it's not needed because teams run it down your throat consistently it's kinda wasted. 

I'm not saying you're wrong. You're one of the more knowledgeable posters here and I enjoy reading your content. I'm just wishing for a more stout and aggressive D front.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Having thought about it some, I'd really like a Chan Gailey type for the Offense if Daboll left. I think his pragmatism and Allen's abilities, would mesh very well. I liked his creativity, that didn't really resort to 'trick' plays, and we might actually get a decent screen game.

Trouble is, I'm not sure there's another guy like him around, let alone available.

I like someones suggestion of Zimmer as DC, if Frazier left and Zimmer was canned - I think that's a good 'fit' for what we do generally.

I've admired the Shanahan's zone blocking rushing schemes for some time, as it does let you use just about any half decent RB effectively, but I don't know how well that would mesh with the sort of improvisation Josh is capable of in the passing game. I don't think you would get the best out of him running a WCO passing game - although I don't doubt he could do it.

The point Gunner makes about the turnover of coaches making the pool very shallow, is well taken. It might be that it's worth going back to look at some of the guys who are yesterday's men', and giving one of them a shot. e.g. someone like an Anthony Lynn, to come in and help our running game.

Imho, there are probably a fair few guys like that, who aren't going to be, or have failed, as HC, yet still have plenty to offer in respect of being coordinators/assistants.

1 hour ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Nate Hackett as OC and Rex Ryan as DC. Let's also hire Doug Marrone as O-Line coach if our current one decides to leave. 

I know you're joking, but for a moment there I was shot back in time, and ready to cry.

Shows you how far things have come in a relatively short period of time.

5 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

The fact that he looks like a schlub won't help his cause on some teams. Unfair but it's a fact of life. That said, Matt Patricia, who has a very similar background -- both have engineering degrees from excellent schools; both worked for the Pats; both were coordinators; both look like schlubs -- got a HC job. 

And he Schlubbed  his way to unemployment.  I’m not sure Daboll has the energy level needed for HC.  McD energy is sneaky. You see the clapping etc but rarely see the high intensity stuff.  With Daboll I envision the Norm from Cheers slap fighting Cliff kind of enthusiasm 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.