Does Any Team That Passed on Josh in 2018 Draft NOT Regret It?

st pete gogolak

Almost four years out.  Regrets, there are a few.

Cleveland - Baker Mayfield.  Uh, yeah.  If they had picked Josh, their 2018 draft could have ranked with '74 Steelers (Allen, Ward, Nick Chubb).

NY Giants - Saquon Barkley.  Uh yeah.  Compounded mistake of picking a RB too high with a top ten pick of Daniel Jones the following year.  

NY Jets - Sam Darnold.  Uh, yeah.

Cleveland- D. Ward.  If they had drafted Allen #1, this would have been an ok pick.

Denver - B. Chubb.  Uh yeah.  They decided that they were good with Case Keenum and have cycled through Drew Lock and Teddy Bridgewater (am I missing anyone?).

Indy - Q. Nelson.  This is at least an interesting discussion.  All Pro guard for next 10 years and future Hall of Famer.  Plus they've been able to plug in Rivers and Wentz for passable QB play.  On the whole, however, yeah.  

TB - Traded with Buff.  Took Vita Vea at #12 and picked up a couple of CB's in Round 2.  Also ended up clearing the way for Brady in a round about way.  Doubt there are any regrets here.  You win a Super Bowl, you don't ask what if.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, Process said:

An all pro guard vs a top 3 QB in the league is not a discussion

The Colts still had Luck though at the time, that's the only team on the list that I can't fault them for not taking Josh.  Was just having the discussion with a friend at the gym today about how in the world did Elway miss on drafting Allen to the Broncos.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, BillsPride12 said:

The Colts still had Luck though at the time, that's the only team on the list that I can't fault them for not taking Josh.  Was just having the discussion with a friend at the gym today about how in the world did Elway miss on drafting Allen to the Broncos.  

Yea, can't fault them at the time. But they'd love him now.

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Almost four years out.  Regrets, there are a few.

Cleveland - Baker Mayfield.  Uh, yeah.  If they had picked Josh, their 2018 draft could have ranked with '74 Steelers (Allen, Ward, Nick Chubb).

NY Giants - Saquon Barkley.  Uh yeah.  Compounded mistake of picking a RB too high with a top ten pick of Daniel Jones the following year.  

NY Jets - Sam Darnold.  Uh, yeah.

Cleveland- D. Ward.  If they had drafted Allen #1, this would have been an ok pick.

Denver - B. Chubb.  Uh yeah.  They decided that they were good with Case Keenum and have cycled through Drew Lock and Teddy Bridgewater (am I missing anyone?).

Indy - Q. Nelson.  This is at least an interesting discussion.  All Pro guard for next 10 years and future Hall of Famer.  Plus they've been able to plug in Rivers and Wentz for passable QB play.  On the whole, however, yeah.  

TB - Traded with Buff.  Took Vita Vea at #12 and picked up a couple of CB's in Round 2.  Also ended up clearing the way for Brady in a round about way.  Doubt there are any regrets here.  You win a Super Bowl, you don't ask what if.

but Buffalo passed on Mahomes

people in glass houses…..

• Like (+1) 6
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 7

8 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I think Elway was hesitant because he had just missed on a QB.  

Just now, djp14150 said:

And?..  I don’t regret that. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Right yea I agree. But if we are playing the "knowing what we know now" game there is obviously no debate.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, djp14150 said:

What a knucklehead comment. We traded the pick and drafted Tre’davious White. Then drafted Josh Allen the following year. Are you saying you’d rather have Mahomes than Allen? If so, gtfoh.

• Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

4 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

Elway has no eye for QB play, which is surprising. The list of QBs he's drafted is terrible.

Brock Osweiler

Zac Dysert

Trevor Seimian

Paxton Lynch

Chad Kelly

Drew Lock

I mean, that's a list worthy of the drought-era Bills.

• Like (+1) 4

He was perhaps not really in a position to have regrets but we all saw Bill hug and whisper a few words in Josh’s ear after the win in NE. Bill isn’t an exuberant personality given to hyperbole. Like him or loath him the respect he showed #17 is surely one of the most meaningful of compliments that he has ever been paid to date.

Of course anybody who had a realistic shot has to regret not drafting him. People have for years speculated regarding his ceiling, really to no purpose given the lack of evidence and the many uncertainties affecting a player’s (especially a QBs) development. Suffice it to say that we now know that his ceiling is to become the greatest active player in the game. Is he there yet? Nope. But he could well be on his way.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

I'm regretting this post!  Not enough controversy to generate a decent conversation.  

It's alright.

The important thing is the Bills got Josh Allen. :thumbsup:

18 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Elway has no eye for QB play, which is surprising. The list of QBs he's drafted is terrible.

Brock Osweiler

Zac Dysert

Trevor Seimian

Paxton Lynch

Chad Kelly

Drew Lock

I mean, that's a list worthy of the drought-era Bills.

Amazing that he was GM for the Broncos for as long as he was.

53 minutes ago, Process said:

An all pro guard vs a top 3 QB in the league is not a discussion

They had Luck at the time. Who was a top 3 QB so it was a great pick imo. 

That organization is great and even after Luck retired suddenly have built a SB contender based mainly on running the ball with a great RB and OL and defense 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.