Big Ben might, might not, maybe, but probably retiring.

aristocrat

20 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Yeah, he's done.

I don't think Pittsburgh gives him another year, so it makes sense to retire now.

What are the Steelers’ QB options in 2022 that are better than Big Ben? If they get rid of him, there’s every chance that they’ll be next year’s N.O. Saints.

Edited by mannc

2 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Here's an interesting question. Would you rather have Roethlisberger since 2004 and no Allen now or Allen now? Because if we had gotten Roethlisberger, we probably never would have gotten Allen.

Having a bona fide franchise QB in Buffalo by 2006 or 2007?  That pretty much re-writes the entire modern history of the Buffalo Bills.  I guess the real question is, would we care about having JA if hypothetical Buffalo Bills Big Ben puts a Lombardi or three in the trophy case.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, mannc said:

What are the Steelers’ QB options in 2022 that are better than Big Ben? If they get rid of him, there’s every chance that they’ll be next year’s N.O. Saints.

They need to start over; another year with Ben is a wasted year IMO.

I assume they'll be looking to draft, or maybe try and pick someone up in free agency.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He said something to the effect of "it isn't my job to mentor him" or "it isn't my job to develop him"

Weren’t Aaron Rogers and Brett Favre also dismissive of young understudies?  I haven’t heard of any superstar quarterbacks who willingly mentored their replacements. Maybe it’s a trait of the Uber talented and perhaps that’s why the most skilled players don’t get into coaching …

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

Steelers are due for a rebuild. That team is old and creaky.  They'd be foolish spending a lot capital to rent a Russell Wilson who is also close to the end too. 

I'd say Russ probably has about 3-4 good years left.  He's 33 and I don't think he's had too many injuries in his career.

Ben at his current rate is still better than any qb we had in the drought.  I could see him being lured by a team like the Saints or another who may be a QB away from a SB run. Kind of lime manning at the end of his career.  The dude has an ego and would likely love to prove ehe is not done, but that the Steelers OL issues created many of his issues. 

2 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Having a bona fide franchise QB in Buffalo by 2006 or 2007?  That pretty much re-writes the entire modern history of the Buffalo Bills.  I guess the real question is, would we care about having JA if hypothetical Buffalo Bills Big Ben puts a Lombardi or three in the trophy case.

I’d take Ben and hope we drafted JA anyway.   We would have a few SB wins now.   

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

Steelers are due for a rebuild. That team is old and creaky.  They'd be foolish spending a lot capital to rent a Russell Wilson who is also close to the end too. 

I doubt they see it that way with a fee OL foxing many issues. But if they do, I’d trade 2 1st for Watt!!

8 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Donahoe's fault for not offering enough for a top 10 team to trade down.  If he had traded pick 13 & the picks he used to trade up for JP, someone would have traded a top 10 pick to the Bills.  On the point table pick 13 is 1150, pick 43 is 470, pick 144 is 34.  for the 2005 #1, pick 20 is worth 850 or using the philosophy that a pick a year away is worth a round less pick 52 is worth 380 points.  So Donahoe could have offered at least 2034 points with 4 picks & had Roethlisberger (who he wanted) instead of Lee Evans & JP Losman. Those 2034 points are worth more than picks 4 through 10. 

Now let's compare what the Bills gave up to move from 12 to 7 for Josh which is a very similar move to what Donahoe couldn't do. The Bills traded picks 12 (1,200), 53 (370) and 56 (340) for a total of 1910 points to get picks 7 (1,500) and 255 (1).  The Bills traded 1,910 points for 1,501 points, an overpayment of 409 points which is the equivalent of and early 2nd rounder, picks 49 or 50.  If Donahoe had overpaid by 409 points he could have moved up to at most 7th, giving him 4 opportunities to make an offer that would be hard to refuse before Pittsburgh picked. 

Don't blame Cowher for tanking, blame Donahoe for not realizing you have to overpay for a franchise QB.  Remember, Beane started out with the highest Bills pick at 21 (800 points) and managed to move it up to a 1500 point spot by overpaying to get Josh.  Beane moved mountains to get his man, Donahoe sat on his hands and then made it worse with the panic move to get JP Losman after losing out on Roethlisberger by 2 spots in the draft.    

I blame a head coach for throwing an NFL first and foremost ON THE PLAYING FIRELD and we’ll ahead of a GM mistake in an office. 

33 minutes ago, ElMarko said:

I blame a head coach for throwing an NFL first and foremost ON THE PLAYING FIRELD and we’ll ahead of a GM mistake in an office. 

I looked up the game to see what you are talking about.  What's your basis for saying he threw the game?  They lost to the 10-6 Ravens in Baltimore by 3 points in overtime.  The week before they won.  Unless you can tell us how he tanked the game, I'm calling your premise BS.  

9 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Here's an interesting question. Would you rather have Roethlisberger since 2004 and no Allen now or Allen now? Because if we had gotten Roethlisberger, we probably never would have gotten Allen.

Of course I’d take Roethlisberger - if it comes with Super Bowl wins and the Hall of Fame. Despite him being a piece of ***** human being. In fact, that’s the only reason I’d have second thoughts. 

18 hours ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Well I'd rather have Allen because this is now and I love him more than my children, but it would have been something if we'd managed to land Big Ben back then. The way he played he would have fit the Bills perfectly and who knows what would have happened in terms of wins and playoff appearances.

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/30/2021 at 11:32 AM, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Some of Roethlisberger's off the field issues are a real turnoff for me.  

And I'm hoping Allen has an ever better on the field career.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.