Defense: let’s grade and comment your grade

Italian Bills

Defense grade today  

114 members have voted

1. 1. What went wrong with the defense ?

• B
    • B-
    • C
    • C-
    • D

It was a solid performance. They gave up 21 points which isn’t great but isn’t bad either. They got the stops that mattered most and they didn’t give up any quick scores either. But they also couldn’t shut the door either even in the red zone and the pass rush and run defense wasn’t great either. It was a good enough performance a B or B- effort.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

The defense needs to figure out its identity. They either need to be able to create a consistent pass rush or stop the run. They can't seem to do either consistently. The secondary is strong even with White out. 

You are absolutely correct not sure why they can't figure this out every week the same issues

Bills D didn’t give up the big run like they have previously against TN, Indy and NE in this game. However, it’s obvious this DL  front four just struggles to win their individual battles.  I just don’t see Star, Hughes, Addison or Butler back next year. They need a stud DT to go with Ed.  Linebackers continue to over pursue and get burnt by the cut backs. When they did force them into throwing downs coverage was super soft. However, it always felt like NE was getting 4 yards a pop. Rarely do you see the DL blow up a play in the backfield.

Super happy with the win but this D got run over on three long drives for TD’s. Gotta get better to make a run in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Mac Jones completed less than 50% of his passes for a putrid 145 yards and held Harris to 103 yards.  

The defense had constant pressure on Jones and picked him twice. 

They limited ne time of possession to 25 min.  

A

Edited by mabden
Additional info
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

What am I missing...  we gave up less the 300 yards against a playoff caliber, HOF Coached team..  and we are calling for the heads of a number of defensive players? 

Sorry... I struggle with that assessment when you consider that the Pats needed to pass to make up a double digit deficit but they continued to run and eat up the clock..  

Quite frankly, I think the Pats played into the trap that Fraser and Coach set....   A minus for me

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Our pass rush is bad, that is the fundamental problem. We don't sack QBs enough so teams never get behind the sticks. Since we rarely tackle RBs behind the LOS that compounds the problem. Mac Jones had clean pockets to work with on almost every snap. No matter how good your secondary is the coverage will break down eventually. We need to get a difference maker on the d-line next year.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Our pass rush is bad, that is the fundamental problem. We don't sack QBs enough so teams never get behind the sticks. Since we rarely tackle RBs behind the LOS that compounds the problem. Mac Jones had clean pockets to work with on almost every snap. No matter how good your secondary is the coverage will break down eventually. We need to get a difference maker on the d-line next year.

Not true.. Pretty sure going into this week.. we have the 5th best pressure rate in the NFL... and I'm guessing it improves this week.

This narrative needs to stop

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.