Harbaugh and two point plays…

LabattBlue

Bold or idiotic calls  

141 members have voted

1. 1. If they miss the playoffs, should he feel the heat

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, Process said:

Lol. You realize they wouldn't be guaranteed wins if they kicked the XPs, right?

They are on the outside looking in because they are a bad team that's insanely lucky to even be in contention at this point.

I think everyone understands that, yes...

Anyway, these 2 close losses should they keep them out of the playoffs, should righteously bite him in the ass.

They were lucky to be in the position to tie---in a shootout with their backup vs Rodgers no less!  Tie the game and get at least another series in OT, instead of gambling the game away on a single play that 50/50 losses the game.

How many more times can he do this in a season before he feels the heat?  Coaches aren't paid by their owners to burnish their "gutsy" image.  They are paid for smart decisions.

Edited by Mr. WEO

1 hour ago, BTB said:

The media I heard last night seemed to go easy on Harbaugh.  By going for two, he was the direct cause for two losses, and now his team is on the outside looking in.  I think he deserves much more criticism than he is getting. 

Can you tell me his viewpoint on compensatory picks?

53 minutes ago, QCity said:

I thought the opposite. Pittsburgh scored on their last 3 possessions while Baltimore couldn't get anything going offensively in the 4th quarter. They also lost their top CB. Pittsburgh was at home and really feeding off the crowd, they certainly had more energy. I had no issues with the 2 pt attempt.

The reverse was true yesterday. They just stuffed GB on their last 2 possessions, while the Ravens marched down the field and scored on their last 2 drives. It really felt like GB was worn down and now Bal was taking over (with some help from the crowd).

Valid points as well.

With both I think I'm more ok with them going for it if they had a more practical play called.

Trusting Lamar's arm in the 1st is a "Meh" call IMO. Just like rolling Huntley out and limiting him to half a field. Didn't play into either's strong suits.

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

I wish that our coach had the stones that Harbaugh has.  If he ever finds them, maybe we'll win a SB

And yet McDermott has taken his team farther than Harbaugh has taken the Ravens..since he took over as HC of the Bills….and beat him in the playoffs last year…..so what are we talking about?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

On their first drive the Ravens had 4th and goal from the 3 and chose to go for it. They failed to convert. If they had taken the easy FG that final drive would have been for a 3 point lead instead of a tie. I've seen a bunch of coaches kill their team making stupid decisions like that early in games.

Also with 12 minutes left down just 11 points, the Ravens had 4th and 6 from their own 29. They went for it and again failed to convert. That handed Green Bay 3 easy points. So that's a 7 point swing caused by Harbaugh making two overly aggressive decisions.

Why shouldn't Harbaugh be questioned for poor decision making like that? His team lost by 1 point and he was responsible for a 7 point swing.

You make some great observations that go deeper than the original question.   

2 hours ago, BTB said:

The media I heard last night seemed to go easy on Harbaugh.  By going for two, he was the direct cause for two losses, and now his team is on the outside looking in.  I think he deserves much more criticism than he is getting. 

He’s doing a great job with a mountain of injuries overall but yea those were two head scratchers 

22 minutes ago, TH3 said:

And yet McDermott has taken his team farther than Harbaugh has taken the Ravens..since he took over as HC of the Bills….and beat him in the playoffs last year…..so what are we talking about?

I'll take Harbaugh over McDermott any day of the week, especially for game day coaching.

And it's not really close either

• Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, mushypeaches said:

I'll take Harbaugh over McDermott any day of the week, especially for game day coaching.

And it's not really close either

So why has his game day coaching not resulted in better results for his team over the last 5 years as compared to McDerrmott?

8 minutes ago, TH3 said:

So why has his game day coaching not resulted in better results for his team over the last 5 years as compared to McDerrmott?

Their roster is not as talented as ours. Also, he has gotten better results over the past 5 years. He's 52-26 since McD was hired as a head coach, who is 46-32.

Edited by QCity

3 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Gutsy decisions, but when they  don’t work out,  you deserve the heat.

When down by 14 in the 4th, it's better to go for two after your first TD.  Then, whatever you need.  The math works out solidly in your favor.  Basically, if you intend to go for two after only one of the scores.... do it after the first score.  That way if you don't get it, you have a chance to tie the game after the 2nd score.  It's inexcusable for a coach like Harbaugh not to know this.

Edited by Rock'em Sock'em

6 hours ago, Process said:

Lol. You realize they wouldn't be guaranteed wins if they kicked the XPs, right?

They are on the outside looking in because they are a bad team that's insanely lucky to even be in contention at this point.

I don't think the Ravens were a bad team.  With all their injuries and covid, yeah, they're pretty bad now, and with their killer schedule I think they'll be lucky to be in the playoffs.  I think to start with this year, the Ravens were an average team that got incredibly lucky.  Early in the year they were gifted a win over the Lions because the refs let a last-gasp drive by the Ravens go forward despite a delay of game that they didn't call.  (There was an incredibly quick delay penalty called against the Bills recently, no surprise there.)  The Ravens were trailing the Colts by a huge amount in a game where almost all the Colts DBs were injured, and so Lamar Jackson led them back, basically playing against air.  This went on and on. Lately the law of averages has caught up with the Ravens.  This will all be a huge disappointment for the Ravens fans since for a while they looked like the best team in the AFC.

Absolutely not. The first call against Pittsburgh they had the perfect play and Lamar and Andrews failed to execute. 

The one this week.... to be honest I am not sold that it mattered. #12 was getting the ball back with 40 seconds on the clock needing a FG. The Packers would have won even if the Ravens converted the 2 pointer IMO. 

If John Harbaugh was fired he would be out of work for about 30 seconds. He is a top 3 Head Coach in the NFL. 

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I'd trade head coaches with Baltimore, straight up, in a heart beat.

Me too, and I say that as someone who really wanted McDermott for this job and thinks he himself is a top 10 NFL coach. Harbaugh is outstanding. Which other NFL Head Coach has lasted so long and had so much success in terms of W-L, playoff wins and a Superbowl, while never having a top notch Quarterback? Flacco and Lamar both have their merits, but neither have at any stage been a top 6 or 7 passer in the NFL. Yet Baltimore just win games, year after year. Look at the injuries this year, they are down a top 5 LT, all 3 running backs, a top 10 corner, their 1st rounder missed half the season... it is just one thing after another and yet there they are again, right in the mix coming down the stretch. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Olliemets said:

It didn't work so he's gonna get heat. Listening to Russo on Sirius, the word is Harbaughs getting killed today on Baltimore Sports talk radio.

My .02: He didn't want to go into OT with Huntley facing Rogers and took his chances. Figured law of averages said it was likely he'd pull off as they missed against Pitt and he was 2 for 6.

I feel like they ran the right play vs Pitt and Lamar blew it. Last night, he had a QB with the hot hand and called wrong play. 

That's why these guys get paid what they do.

There's video out there.

Harbaugh asked his players what they wanted to do and if they felt comfortable going for it. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Absolutely not. The first call against Pittsburgh they had the perfect play and Lamar and Andrews failed to execute. 

The one this week.... to be honest I am not sold that it mattered. #12 was getting the ball back with 40 seconds on the clock needing a FG. The Packers would have won even if the Ravens converted the 2 pointer IMO. 

If John Harbaugh was fired he would be out of work for about 30 seconds. He is a top 3 Head Coach in the NFL. 

Me too, and I say that as someone who really wanted McDermott for this job and thinks he himself is a top 10 NFL coach. Harbaugh is outstanding. Which other NFL Head Coach has lasted so long and had so much success in terms of W-L, playoff wins and a Superbowl, while never having a top notch Quarterback? Flacco and Lamar both have their merits, but neither have at any stage been a top 6 or 7 passer in the NFL. Yet Baltimore just win games, year after year. Look at the injuries this year, they are down a top 5 LT, all 3 running backs, a top 10 corner, their 1st rounder missed half the season... it is just one thing after another and yet there they are again, right in the mix coming down the stretch. 

Before I say anything else I will say that I think Harbaugh is a great coach.  McDermott (5-2) has more playoff wins since becoming Bills head coach than Harbaugh(2-4) has since the Ravens won the Super Bowl in 2012.  Just saying.  Harbaugh win loss record hasn't always been great and he has only won his division 4 times in the 13 years he has been there.  

Close one for me.  Im not sure if I would trade McDermott for Harbaugh or not.  Id like to see how his team pans out if he actually pays Lamar.  Id also like to see how McDermott does the rest of this yeah and next year.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.