Week 16: Bills at Pats - DISCUSSION

YoloinOhio

23 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Frank Reich told his team before the Patriots game, "We have to win this game." I get the feeling that McDermott doesn't use this approach; it seems like he relies on the players' professionalism. On One Bills Live just now, Chris and Steve were saying players shouldn't need any extra juice. While I agree to an extent, I feel like we've seen players respond well when given that extra juice. I wonder if it's something that's missing with the Bills at times.

The post-game video showed me all I needed to see with regard to the team's readiness to face New England.

Josh: "Nothing needs to be said. We know what we need to do."

The players aren't dumb. They're also not the "just here for a paycheck" types. These guys are all competitive, prideful, and love the game. 

They're surely well aware of the importance of this game and will all be "up" for the game.

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Frank Reich told his team before the Patriots game, "We have to win this game." I get the feeling that McDermott doesn't use this approach; it seems like he relies on the players' professionalism. On One Bills Live just now, Chris and Steve were saying players shouldn't need any extra juice. While I agree to an extent, I feel like we've seen players respond well when given that extra juice. I wonder if it's something that's missing with the Bills at times.

I just hope the Bills can step up here and win a huge game. The Colts did it last Saturday. NO did it at TB on SNF. It's the Bills turn. This really is the biggest regular season game they have played in a long time. It was a letdown to lose the first game against them but this one really is for the division. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Success said:

I keep seeing that sentiment, but they're pretty banged up.  Aghelor might not be at 100%, and we don't know about Bourne. That's a big loss to that unit if neither can play.

Who are we definitely missing besides Beasley and Feliciano right now?  Not saying they aren't big losses, but we're fairly deep at WR at least....

I checked a few sites, nothing about Agholor, Harry was at practice, Bourne remains on the Covid list.  Harris was at practice, but is still listed as out with the hamstring issue.  Other than their RB1 and defacto WR1, they seem fine.  😁

So they are thin at RB and will start a rookie QB and RB.  I expect a lot of screens.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, K-9 said:

There is nothing a coach can say, NOTHING AT ALL, to provide extra “juice.” If a player can’t provide his own motivation, he doesn’t have what it takes in the first place. Everyone loves the romantic idea of a Knute Rockne willing a team to victory with his words, but that’s never been the case. 

I tend to agree with you.  Exception would be if a player is down on himself for a bad play then coaches and players need to lift him back up.

19 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Probably fear of losing the locker room if they lose the game…. 

Yeah, that would be part of the calculus. Kind of equates to playing not to lose instead of coaching aggressively.

19 minutes ago, K-9 said:

There is nothing a coach can say, NOTHING AT ALL, to provide extra “juice.” If a player can’t provide his own motivation, he doesn’t have what it takes in the first place. Everyone loves the romantic idea of a Knute Rockne willing a team to victory with his words, but that’s never been the case. 

I'm not sure if I agree with this.

23 minutes ago, K-9 said:

"The inches we need are all around us...."

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I tend to agree with you.  Exception would be if a player is down on himself for a bad play then coaches and players need to lift him back up.

Words of encouragement can do wonders, yet it is up to the player to summon the internal wherewithal. If he doesn’t have that self motivation drive, no words are going to instill it. 

20 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'm not sure if I agree with this.

Maybe you need a coach to help you find that motivation to figure it out.

• Haha (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

I think if Sanders plays, Hodgins doesnt. If Sanders is out, Hodgins gets a call up and could see some limited snaps. Hope he can make the most of those. Kumerow might get a few extra runs at WR too in that case.

If Sanders plays the snaps go to Diggs, Davis, Sanders, McKenzie and then Kumerow in spells. 

Highly doubtful. If Sanders is out, it would just be the current guys: Diggs, Davis, Knox, McKenzie, Kumerow, and maybe Stevenson. I don't think they're calling up any other untested receivers for a game of this magnitude.

12 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I’m a big Kumerow fan. Rodgers trusted and wanted him in GB. I think he can be a big “chain”mover. Don’t really need his YAC yards, but have the reliable hands and experience to get the chains moving 

He's just a guy who can body up and catch the ball....sometimes. Rodgers wanted him because they're friends. He's no better than a fringe backup.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Words of encouragement can do wonders, yet it is up to the player to summon the internal wherewithal. If he doesn’t have that self motivation drive, no words are going to instill it. 

It can work just for a game... in the moment. But the culture has to be built first, to where players will respond to their coach.

Like, Urban Meyer certainly isn't giving any championship-winning speeches...

3 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

They were completely one dimensional and beat the Bills, so I’m not seeing the positive here. 

The reason why they were one dimensional, the weather, mitigated the best aspect of our offense.  If they pass 3 times on Sunday I don't see them keeping the game close.

2 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Hodgins is not a Davis replacement. Despite his height, the two have different styles of play. I think Hodgins played in the slot a lot in college. He reminds me of David Nelson.

I think the David Nelson comparison is a good one. If he plays, I hope he produces like Nelson did. He was not spectacualer, but reliable and productive.

13 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

The reason why they were one dimensional, the weather, mitigated the best aspect of our offense.  If they pass 3 times on Sunday I don't see them keeping the game close.

True but the weather also prevented the Patriots from being able to run any kind of play action which is a staple of their offense. It is fair to say that both teams would have scored more points if the weather hadn't been so bad. We actually had a big advantage in that game because we had the ability to throw the ball.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

True but the weather also prevented the Patriots from being able to run any kind of play action which is a staple of their offense. It is fair to say that both teams would have scored more points if the weather hadn't been so bad. We actually had a big advantage in that game because we had the ability to throw the ball.

Fair points.  Also, we had a significantly reduced ability to throw and were mostly limited to shorter throws in tight windows with the ball blowing all over the place.  New England did not have to respect our deep/intermediate passing game.   

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.