Week 16: Bills at Pats - DISCUSSION

YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

Lets not praise Bill anymore than needed.  Media believed he out coached Mcdermott.  Mcdermott went on the offensive and said at the end of the day we had the ball inside the 10 twice to win it.  More about guys making plays and not making plays than coaching.

Oh yeah, now I remember. I will admit, I was a bit surprised McD brought that up, i think it would have been better to let it alone.  And I hate to say I think that was one game, imo, we were clearly outcoached.  McD should not have gone on the offensive .

14 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

He seems fine as a receiver. He’s got two drops in his career for a 7-8% rate. Not great not terrible.  QB rating throwing to him is like 80 so not our best obviously. No data on his blocking on pro football reference, but I can’t recall anything too terrible (I’m sure he’s had some issues along with the rest of our OL).

I wouldn’t expect him to come back after next year for more than vet minimum but I think that says more about where we are as a team than his performance.

Did you not catch him just as early as 2 days ago vs Panthers? He had a big drop that him right i his hands. Also saw him blow it on a block. When Knox was injured he wasted that opportunity too. I expect at least a little better.

how the hell did we let logan thomas go to wash to become an arguably better TE than knox. knox has been productive and a bit of a breakout year (except he flat out played like dog sh*t against NE) but logan thomas to ME looks like a better TE

Edited by balln
  • Disagree 7

2 minutes ago, balln said:

how the hell did we let logan thomas go to wash to become an arguably better TE than knox. knox has been productive and a bit of a breakout year (except he flat out played like dog sh*t against NE) but logan thomas to ME looks like a better TE

The horror... we let 28-year-old former QB Logan Thomas bounce to the Lions and WFT where he went on to be targeted 110 times on a 7-9 football team. 

Logan Thomas had solid numbers last year based on volume alone - if you want him to get 110 targets in this offense then be my guest... 

7 minutes ago, balln said:

How did the Browns let Jordan Poyer go on to become an elite safety elsewhere?

How did the Packers let Micah Hyde go on to become an elite safety elsewhere?

How did the Colts trade Jerry Hughes away for a pack of Marlboro Lights?

How did the Vikings trade Stefon Diggs away only to see him be a 1st team All-Pro in his first season in Buffalo?

These things happen.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, balln said:

Arguably better?  Logan's career has been one breakout year yet Dawson Knox has more career everything than Logan Thomas in half as many seasons.  There's a reason Logan played on 4 teams in 6 seasons.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

How did the Browns let Jordan Poyer go on to become an elite safety elsewhere?

How did the Packers let Micah Hyde go on to become an elite safety elsewhere?

How did the Colts trade Jerry Hughes away for a pack of Marlboro Lights?

How did the Vikings trade Stefon Diggs away only to see him be a 1st team All-Pro in his first season in Buffalo?

These things happen.

poyer is not elite, please - he had gift INT in TB and CAR and didnt make play either time, he cant cover TE - hes a great system player w hyde and im glad we have him but hes not elite. hughes massively underperformed for colts and he was acquired n a trade. arguably jefferson is better and will be a better overall long term move than diggs....

but yea ok lets nit pick here. the point is we didnt keep Logan around and develop him and we could have knox and thomas 1a/b on this roster. instead we kept like gray , and FBs and tyler kroft ! its a kin to wyat teller. You have to keep your good players/gems/develop

• Haha (+1) 1

poyer is not elite, please - he had gift INT in TB and CAR and didnt make play either time, he cant cover TE - hes a great system player w hyde and im glad we have him but hes not elite. hughes massively underperformed for colts and he was acquired n a trade. arguably jefferson is better and will be a better overall long term move than diggs....

but yea ok lets nit pick here. the point is we didnt keep Logan around and develop him and we could have knox and thomas 1a/b on this roster. instead we kept like gray , and FBs and tyler kroft ! its a kin to wyat teller. You have to keep your good players/gems/develop

This post is filled with bad takes and barely legible english. I feel no need to respond further.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

5 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Oh god are we sugar coating the fact we can’t ever take down the qb when we get there again? Pressures right?…. Ya ok. 

How about we just find the freaking ability to FINISH once you’ve got hands on the qb. Good lord people. Pressures are a good thing but let’s not use them just to pretend they don’t have an issue with getting qb’s to the ground. There’s plenty of times where the “pressure” wasn’t enough and if whomever got hands on the QB woulda finished, it woulda made a difference. 

Spot on.  The Bills have spent every resource on this 200 man D line rotation and a linebacker and they are bottom 7 in sacks.  Half the time they don't even get home when they blitz and they don't blitz often.  Its one thing if they don't really get home against that QB that throws the ball in 2 seconds but they consistently throughout the season have not gotten there.  IMO that's pretty unacceptable considering the resources in draft picks and cap space spent.

End the damn experiment.  Dump 4 of these guys and get 2 premium players.  They will be ok playing more than a handful of downs a drive just like the rest of the league.  They can keep their legs fresh by getting off the field instead of this bend don't break stuff.

• Like (+1) 1

I mean, life goes on if we don't win this game. I think we WILL win, but the ball can get bouncy, and nothing is guaranteed.

The way some are talking, we go back to watching NE win one division title after another if we lose this one.

Their HOF coach will be 70.  We'll have the best QB by a few miles, for at least a decade & probably more.

If we drop the division this year, it's a blip. An extremely unpleasant blip, but we should be faves to win the division again next year. And really, as long as we have Allen.

• Like (+1) 2

Meh..  I'll criticize McBeane for some of their bigger decisions that, outside of Josh Allen, haven't really paid off.   However, the low key decisions they've made since coming here are overwhelmingly positive.  Sure, Wyatt Teller and Logan Thomas were misses, but they've also identified guys like Taron Johnson, Matt Milano, Gabriel Davis in draft mid-rounds, Levi Wallace and Dane Jackson late/udfa, along with signing Poyer & Hyde.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Oh god are we sugar coating the fact we can’t ever take down the qb when we get there again? Pressures right?…. Ya ok. 

How about we just find the freaking ability to FINISH once you’ve got hands on the qb. Good lord people. Pressures are a good thing but let’s not use them just to pretend they don’t have an issue with getting qb’s to the ground. There’s plenty of times where the “pressure” wasn’t enough and if whomever got hands on the QB woulda finished, it woulda made a difference. 

We have the best pass D in the league.  We have the best pass rush pressure rate in the league.  We currently have a 7th rd draft pick and an UDFA (whose getting paid 1.75M after hitting FA) starting @ cb

Getting sacks or not getting sacks has NOTHING to do with our 6 losses.  3 long TD runs, poor red zone O, bone headed mistakes, How Beane addressed the OL and the referees are why we are 8-6.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Apparently, Miami counts as a close loss to a good team when the Pats play them, but they're a bad team and smoking them 2x doesn't count when the Bills play

Also it matters that the Chiefs were "bad" when we played them, but doesn't matter that the Titans were without Henry, Brown and Jones when the Pats beat them, etc.

So for a bit of an objective measure, here's the current seeding

image.thumb.png.4d552f67b0eb1cb52b14a9138c45937c.png

Interesting point is that the Strength of Schedule for the Bills and Pats wins are almost identical (0.48 vs 0.479) and the Strength of Victory is higher for the Bills (0.432 vs 0.413). 

Now I don't know how these things are calculated or what they do or don't take into account, but it's probably a bit more objective than "we lost close games to Miami but it doesn't matter you blew them out".

Please don't continue the myth that the Chiefs were bad when we beat them.  They weren't.  They won the game before and after 31 points and 42 points.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

We have the best pass D in the league.  We have the best pass rush pressure rate in the league.  We currently have a 7th rd draft pick and an UDFA (whose getting paid 1.75M after hitting FA).  

Getting sacks or not getting sacks has NOTHING to do with our 6 losses.  3 long TD runs, poor red zone O, bone headed mistakes, How Beane addressed the OL and the referees are why we are 8-6.  

so you are ok with all the resources/picks that have been dumped into the defensive front and the overall lack of production. noted.

And i agree its been a comedy of errors in these close losses. Cant really pin it on one thing. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.