Creepy-ass Songs

TheCockSportif

• 1 month later...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Coffin

Owen Coffin (August 24, 1802 – February 2, 1821) was a teenaged sailor aboard the Nantucket whaler Essex when it set sail for the Pacific Ocean on a sperm whale-hunting expedition in August 1819, under the command of his cousin, George Pollard, Jr. In November the next year, a whale rammed and breached the hull of Essex in mid-Pacific, causing Essex to sink.[1] The crew of Essex escaped in small whaleboats, with sufficient supplies for two months, but were not rescued within that time. During January 1821, the near-starved survivors began to eat the bodies of those who had died. When even this resource ran out, the four men remaining in Pollard's boat agreed to draw straws to decide which of them should be slaughtered, lest all four die of starvation. Coffin 'lost' the lottery, and was shot and eaten. The captain volunteered to take Coffin's place but Coffin refused, saying it was his 'right' to do so that the others might live.

The title song of the 1971 album Nantucket Sleighride by American rock band Mountain is titled in full "Nantucket Sleighride (To Owen Coffin)". While there is no evidence that the song is specifically about Coffin or the ship Essex (and the lyrics are in parts obscure in meaning), it is written from the point of view of a sailor on a ship undertaking a "three-year tour... on a search for the mighty sperm whale", and co-writer Felix Pappalardi, in an interview for the British music weekly Sounds (issue dated November 20, 1971), confirmed that the Owen Coffin in the dedication was the one from the Essex tragedy.

• Like (+1) 1

"Tubular Bells" is definitely creepy, but it might be the only truly creepy song I've seen so far.

I don't know what the OP had in mind, but I assume "creepy" means a song that makes you scared, simply by the way it sounds aesthetically.  

Which I would distinguish from "creepy ideas embedded in the lyrics" or a "creepy idea for a song or song title" etc.

Here's my contribution for a song that I would suggest is genuinely creepy---particularly the very beginning.  This is one of my favorites.  Used to blast this out the window on Halloween night!  

11 minutes ago, gdabillsfan said:

Aorta was a budding prog rock band from Chicago. The self titled album Aorta was a concept album when it was introduced in 1969 ,  I'm not sure it was made to be creepy (describes conditions of one's heart experience leading up to a heart attack), just different. (And it was)

It's your main vein?  :blink:

I was thinking of starting a thread about cringe-worthy lyrics after listening to Jimmy Buffett’s Livingston Saturday Night:

So won't you listen to the sound of a hot country band,
Boot heels are shufflin' on the dance floor Sam
Sing a song, play some pong, shoot a little pool,
Hittin' on the honeys right out of high school
Yeah, fifteen may get you twenty,

But that's all right,
'Cause they be rockin and a rollin'
On a Livingston Saturday Night

4 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

I was thinking of starting a thread about cringe-worthy lyrics after listening to Jimmy Buffett’s Livingston Saturday Night:

So won't you listen to the sound of a hot country band,
Boot heels are shufflin' on the dance floor Sam
Sing a song, play some pong, shoot a little pool,
Hittin' on the honeys right out of high school
Yeah, fifteen may get you twenty,

But that's all right,
'Cause they be rockin and a rollin'
On a Livingston Saturday Night

When do people graduate from high school... not usually at 15. 

Couple creepers featuring Lydia Lunch, native of Rochester and everyone's favorite girl next door:

I never realized they would age restrict a video for being terrible before now:

This one's always left me with the feeling that Gary Glitter was Father Iceland... but MAN what a voice

(somehow that one's not age restricted lol)

4 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

https://youtu.be/KYn74J3J0Z0

Kiss sucks BTW.

I can file this one under "I wasn't 16 yet" when it came out so it was more aspirational than creepy at the time. Creepy for sure with the benefit of hindsight.

Awesome that you remember a forgettable song from 1977 well enough to inform us that Kiss sucks. 

3 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I can file this one under "I wasn't 16 yet" when it came out so it was more aspirational than creepy at the time. Creepy for sure with the benefit of hindsight.

Awesome that you remember a forgettable song from 1977 well enough to inform us that Kiss sucks. 

I wasn't born yet and yes, Kiss sucks.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I wasn't born yet and yes, Kiss sucks.

Not born yet - that helps explain your disdain for them. To each their own - but I'm still baffled how you knew of Christine Sixteen since you weren't born and think Kiss sucks.  That song had a shelf life of maybe a year or two at best.

12 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Not born yet - that helps explain your disdain for them. To each their own - but I'm still baffled how you knew of Christine Sixteen since you weren't born and think Kiss sucks.  That song had a shelf life of maybe a year or two at best.

Do you only listen to music from your own era? I'm pretty sure you're allowed to listen to music from whenever you want to and decide whether you like it or not. I heard that particular song on Sirius like a week ago so it's not like I needed to craft a time machine or something for it to come to mind. I've heard enough other Kiss to know I don't like it. There are plenty of other things from the 70s and earlier that I enjoy, just not that.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Do you only listen to music from your own era? I'm pretty sure you're allowed to listen to music from whenever you want to and decide whether you like it or not. I heard that particular song on Sirius like a week ago so it's not like I needed to craft a time machine or something for it to come to mind. I've heard enough other Kiss to know I don't like it. There are plenty of other things from the 70s and earlier that I enjoy, just not that.

LOL - the answer to the bolded question is pretty much yes - can't think of any artists I listen to regularly that predate my time on earth - which helps explain why I didn't get where you were coming from. I was also surprised to learn that you heard the song on Sirius recently. Thanks for the response.

Creepiest video game song, for sure:

Hisou Kihei X-Serd is a mecha strategy game on the PC Engine (TurboGrafx-16) which never got an official English release. In its files is a song by one of the designers written from the perspective of the serial child rapist, killer, and cannibal Tsutomu Miyazaki, also know as the "Otaku Killer," who was apprehended during the game's development. The reason why this song was included is unknown.

I ain't even listing any of the lyrics. Terrible.

(EDIT: I can indeed confirm that KISS sucks btw. BIGTIME)

Edited by Golden*Wheels

13 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

LOL - the answer to the bolded question is pretty much yes - can't think of any artists I listen to regularly that predate my time on earth - which helps explain why I didn't get where you were coming from. I was also surprised to learn that you heard the song on Sirius recently. Thanks for the response.

Channel 38

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

Another is "reason to kill"

She asked me if I'd like to have a good time
Double shots was her order of the night
Ran her hand higher up against my left thigh
Blew it all then she found another guy
Now ain't that treating me bad, ain't it reason to kill?

Hook 2: Ladies and gentlement, that's the way it was
My head it ran with fuzz
I saw it as reason to kill

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.