Tyrod benched for a rookie again

BuffaloBillyG

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Makes sense though. They need to see if the rookie has anything to build off of and grow.. if not they need to draft a QB in the first round.

I think it's more about Taylor then seeing Davis. They got a good long look at Davis this year and were so unimpressed they threw Tyrod back as soon as they could.  Of course the extra game will be nice to see if he learned anything.

Brandon Beane used to refer to Tyrod as a "Steady-Eddie" because he rarely turned the ball over. While not a great player his ball security made him invaluable to a rebuilding team. Since coming off injury he's tossed quite a few picks. Easy to bench him now.

By and large, Davis isn't bad. He's not good either so far. Honestly...I feel like he's who many though Mac Jones would be. Some solid flashes. Game manager type. Many "welcome to the NFL" moments. 

2 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Not really sure how 0-6 Davis Mills gives the Texans a better chance to win than the 2-4 Tyrod Taylor. I know W/L is a team stat, but TT has better QB stats too. 

Because Davis Mills embraces the fact that his job is to actually throw the ball.  To guys who work 365 days per year to be world-class athletes who compete for the ball.  Because Davis Mills understands that "NFL-open" is a very real thing and is his actual job to spot and deliver.

Because guys who work so hard need to stay motivated to keep blocking and tackling and getting open for a QB who might actually throw the ball.  

Tyrod imo has always been about doing what's best for his bank account.  At some point, maybe even in college, he decided he was going to perfect the craft of earning money as a career backup NFL qb.

He is a perfect career backup.  imo he doesnt really want to be a starter, but he is professional and shrewd enuf to know that he must always act like he wants to start.  

Edited by maddenboy

I don't agree that Tyrod plays the style that he does because he's trying to be a career backup and collect big paychecks while holding a clipboard (although not a bad gig if you can get it).  Some people have the ability to make quick decisions and execute accordingly.  Tyrod is a skilled athlete, but doesn't possess that ability.  He plays a tentative style because of the way he processes information.  He doesn't have the innate ability to make quick decisions and quickly execute the things that he's physically capable of doing.

Fitz is kind of the opposite in this regard - he is able to make quick decisions and quickly execute, but he is limited in the things that he's physically capable of doing (compared to the top guys). 

The true greats are the ones that have the innate mental ability to process information quickly and execute AND also the physical talent to make it happen.  I think that Josh Allen is one of those guys.  Even those guys, however, need SOME semblance of an offensive line to function at their highest level.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

I don’t think the Texans are trying to win the Super Bowl this year buddy

Fair enough. Just rustles my jimmies a little bit when we get coach speak about "Mills gives us the best chance to win" when he, objectively, does not. 

There's reasons to start Mills over TT. He's not a proven quantity yet and does have a higher ceiling. The Texans should want to evaluate him over the rest of the season to see if he's the QB of the future. If he continues to go winless the Texans improve their draft standing and can draft a new QB if they want.

I'm interested to see how loyal Culley will be to Mills. If he goes out there and Nathan Peterman's it up, will he pull him and go back to Tyrod? 

5 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Fair enough. Just rustles my jimmies a little bit when we get coach speak about "Mills gives us the best chance to win" when he, objectively, does not. 

There's reasons to start Mills over TT. He's not a proven quantity yet and does have a higher ceiling. The Texans should want to evaluate him over the rest of the season to see if he's the QB of the future. If he continues to go winless the Texans improve their draft standing and can draft a new QB if they want.

I'm interested to see how loyal Culley will be to Mills. If he goes out there and Nathan Peterman's it up, will he pull him and go back to Tyrod? 

He’s lying. They all lie. Everyone knows this. 

Tyrod sucks anyway. It’s not like he’s that much better. Fitz and Tua last year was way worse.

Edited by FireChans

18 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I remember telling my wife after the Jacksonville game that Tyrod and Bortles had set Quarterbacking back 80 years in that game.   I've seen some stinkers,  but that was by far the worst.  They were both terrified to throw the ball.

Isn't it crazy though how bortles went into Pittsburgh the next week and played like an all pro and beat the steelers 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.