Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

19 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Rush of blood to the head.  Russia can't win, but Ukraine can still lose given enough Russian brutality.

If Russia pulled out of the entirety of Ukraine tomorrow (which it certainly won't do), the Ukraine lost too. 

Not to get all kumbaya, but there's never a winner. The Ukraine has had cities and infrastructure leveled. It will take decades to rebuild and I'm not sure the rest of the world will finance that effort beyond the next terms of office of their respective legislatures. 

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

https://www.propublica.org/article/infamous-russian-troll-farm-appears-to-be-source-of-anti-ukraine-propaganda

Here's what they do. They just throw out info that they know will get clicks. Kind of like why CNN is not getting the ratings they did during the Trump presidency.  Antime CNN ran Trump stories they got eyeballs. Russia knows this so they run Trump and foxnews stuff cause they know there is a contingent of people that eat that stuff up.  Literally supporting these stories is supporting Russia and their goal for taking back the old USSR territoty.  Don't. 

Ya

• Haha (+1) 1

Why didn't NATO accept Ukraine after 2014 Crimea ? Russia and there nuclear power was against it , screw them. I have too much hate for Russia and Putin so I have to recuse myself most of the time now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, ALF said:

Why didn't NATO accept Ukraine after 2014 Crimea ? Russia and there nuclear power was against it , screw them. I have too much hate for Russia and Putin so I have to recuse myself most of the time now.

Because of Trump.  Obviously.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Tiberius said:

I'm not a military man, but generally...it's bad when you're dug in, reinforced with tanks and APCs, and you still get overrun, right?

Don't look now, but Ukrainian counter attacks are breaking the sieges of Chernhiv and Sumy. Hopefully they're completely successful.

Mariupol though is still pretty *****.

Edited by Coffeesforclosers
  • Like (+1) 1

Maybe "air strike," but there been a few skirmishes along the way.

The Chinese attacked Zhenbao Island in 1969, killing dozens of Soviets.

Additionally, E. Royce Williams, a Naval Aviator flying an F9 Panther from USS Oriskany shot down four Mig 15's in a single one vs seven engagement during the Korean War.

The story was kept secret for fifty years because of the risk of a US Soviet war, and wasn't admitted by the US until Russia publicized the names of its killed pilots.

There is a move afoot to award  Williams, a Congressional Medal of Honor, which he richly deserves.

Naval Aviator whacks four Migs in one secret engagement.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, sherpa said:

Maybe "air strike," but there been a few skirmishes along the way.

The Chinese attacked Zhenbao Island in 1969, killing dozens of Soviets.

Additionally, E. Royce Williams, a Naval Aviator flying an F9 Panther from USS Oriskany shot down four Mig 15's in a single one vs seven engagement during the Korean War.

The story was kept secret for fifty years because of the risk of a US Soviet war, and wasn't admitted by the US until Russia publicized the names of its killed pilots.

There is a move afoot to award  Williams, a Congressional Medal of Honor, which he richly deserves.

Naval Aviator whacks four Migs in one secret engagement.

Interesting. Thanks for posting. Swept wing aircraft versus our straight wing.  Great story. Hit with a 37 mm shell and a whole bunch of smaller rounds and it still made it back to the carrier. So the dates for this were interesting. Eisenhower was the president elect, right? That would of been a real headache for him if this story broke 

The infuriating thing is that three presidential administrations (Bush II, Obama, Trump) bought into Russia's bluffing and bull####.  It took Ukraine's resistance to show that Russia is a kleptocracy run by a con man who's started believing his own lies.  

How did we not kick these guys to the curb years ago, instead of inflating them to supervillain proportions.  *****.

7 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

The infuriating thing is that three presidential administrations (Bush II, Obama, Trump) bought into Russia's bluffing and bull####.  It took Ukraine's resistance to show that Russia is a kleptocracy run by a con man who's started believing his own lies.  

How did we not kick these guys to the curb years ago, instead of inflating them to supervillain proportions.  *****.

Because we want everybody to use up all their oil before we do.

I'd ask why you bother posting Jack Posobiec's useless opinions and spin, but it's a useless exercise.

Like that General Tucker Carlson had on that said a week ago "Russia has won, Ukraine has been ground down to nothing, it's time for peace".  Almost like Ukraine has a "duty to retreat" or something...

1 hour ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

I'd ask why you bother posting Jack Posobiec's useless opinions and spin, but it's a useless exercise.

Like that General Tucker Carlson had on that said a week ago "Russia has won, Ukraine has been ground down to nothing, it's time for peace".  Almost like Ukraine has a "duty to retreat" or something...

Huh? Saying that it’s time for peace is not the same thing as retreat or surrender. Unless of course you’re Joe Biden .

3 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

So Zelinski did exactly what ol' Jack tweeted, he linked a source. 

Can you read?

4 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

Can you show where you got that Carlson quote? I googled your exact quote and I can't find a mention of it 

6 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

You were unaware that Russia was dictatorship? You were unaware that they were our enemy? Where have you been for the past 15 years at least? Your believe that we learned anything about Russia from this invasion just shows how little you have paid attention for a long time. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Huh? Saying that it’s time for peace is not the same thing as retreat or surrender. Unless of course you’re Joe Biden .

The quote is from Col. Douglas MacGregor.  He didn't say it was time for peace, he said it was time for peace because Ukraine has been ground to bits.  I did get his rank wrong.

“The war is really over for the Ukrainians,” Macgregor continued. “They have been grounded to bits. There’s no question about that despite what we report on our mainstream media. So the real question for us at this stage is, if there is an agreement, Tucker, are we going to live with the Russian people and their government? Or are we going to continue to pursue this sort of regime change dressed up as Ukrainian war?”

21 hours ago, Demongyz said:

So Zelinski did exactly what ol' Jack tweeted, he linked a source. 

Can you read?

Of course, which is why I said we didn't need Posobiec's "spin" in my post.  Zelensky fired two generals, Jack said he "purged" them.  Did he add anything meaningful to the article's content, or provide an insight with his retweet text?

20 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

You were unaware that Russia was dictatorship? You were unaware that they were our enemy? Where have you been for the past 15 years at least? Your believe that we learned anything about Russia from this invasion just shows how little you have paid attention for a long time. 

I was talking about how our leaders were obviously intimidated by Putin and his military hardware, and nobody predicted Russia's weakness or incompetence.  What are you talking about?

39 minutes ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

I was talking about how our leaders were obviously intimidated by Putin and his military hardware, and nobody predicted Russia's weakness or incompetence.  What are you talking about?

Russia is sitting on a crap ton of nuclear weapons, hence the worry about his hardware. He still could launch a nuke which is why people are afraid of him since he is a homicidal dictator. 

On 4/1/2022 at 2:01 PM, Coffeesforclosers said:

Not saying that's what that is, but I do have a level of worry about the aftermath of all this. Zelensky is extremely popular right now and has a lot of executive power in this crises situation. Hopefully everything works out but one of the biggest reasons George Washington is one of my favorite Presidents is that old story of how he could of become a king/dictator but instead laid the foundations for the executive office that's allowed us to survive as democracy for two centuries so far. Power corrupts a lot of people.

9 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Not saying that's what that is, but I do have a level of worry about the aftermath of all this. Zelensky is extremely popular right now and has a lot of executive power in this crises situation. Hopefully everything works out but one of the biggest reasons George Washington is one of my favorite Presidents is that old story of how he could of become a king/dictator but instead laid the foundations for the executive office that's allowed us to survive as democracy for two centuries so far. Power corrupts a lot of people.

That's a more than reasonable concern, and I'm inclined to give Zelensky the benefit of the doubt *for now*.  In light of the massacres that are being uncovered in Bucha and the rest of Kyiv Oblast's towns and villages, I hope he keeps a level head.

17 hours ago, Coffeesforclosers said:

The quote is from Col. Douglas MacGregor.  He didn't say it was time for peace, he said it was time for peace because Ukraine has been ground to bits.  I did get his rank wrong.

“The war is really over for the Ukrainians,” Macgregor continued. “They have been grounded to bits. There’s no question about that despite what we report on our mainstream media. So the real question for us at this stage is, if there is an agreement, Tucker, are we going to live with the Russian people and their government? Or are we going to continue to pursue this sort of regime change dressed up as Ukrainian war?”

Of course, which is why I said we didn't need Posobiec's "spin" in my post.  Zelensky fired two generals, Jack said he "purged" them.  Did he add anything meaningful to the article's content, or provide an insight with his retweet text?

Still not the same as surrender. You can go through all of this and then wake up and say to yourself…what happened? My country is in ruins. It’s the same as many people said after the BLM riots. You still have to return to burned down neighborhoods…then what?

10 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Still not the same as surrender. You can go through all of this and then wake up and say to yourself…what happened? My country is in ruins. It’s the same as many people said after the BLM riots. You still have to return to burned down neighborhoods…then what?

Defund something?