Jump to content

To Have a Good Running Back or A Not So Good Running Back That is the Question ??


T master
 Share

Recommended Posts

So all we ever here is that the NFL is a passing league or that running backs are a dime a dozen or having a good running back isn't as important as it once was . Even Bills history has proved that if you can control a game by keeping a high powered offense off the field with a clock controlling running game you can defeat that high powered offense .

 

Well i have a tendency to disagree especially as the Bills are where they are & play in the conditions that they do. What would have happened in the snovertime game if there were no Shady McCoy to hand that ball to ? 

 

What have running teams done to the Bills top 5 D this year when faced with stopping them I think the Titans, Colts, Ravens & even the Bills have proved these points wrong . If Josh doesn't run with in the Bills offense and the backs don't they usually lose for the lack there of .

 

In their draft 2 years ago when they got Moss i just wasn't a fan of the pick ! Given the Bills location & being in a open stadium not to mention they really need a big bruiser of a back for the goal line and short yardage stuff i wanted a bigger say 230 lb back .

 

You mean to tell me a Jerome Bettis, AP, Christian Okoye aka Nigerian Nightmare , or others (in their prime) of that stature wouldn't be a welcome sight to the Bills offense ? I wanted the Bills to draft AJ Dillon the dude was a beast in college & is more than proved he can be a force to be reckoned with in the NFL and i for 1 would like to see just what he could bring standing behind Josh in this offense .

 

I don't believe those "NFL Experts" know quite as much as they are saying they do especially now with the new style defenses being geared to stop the pass with smaller, quicker players have a really good chance at stopping a true old style running game & we once again could see that play out this Monday night in prime time ! 

 

We have seen in some instances defenses stop a good running game and even the Bills have done it & i hope this week they put together one hell of a game plan to do just that but i do not agree that having a good running back is a lost art in todays NFL .

 

I think investing in a Najee Harris this past year could have been a really good get even though i am happy they got Roseau . Merida has been a definite breath of fresh air but I hope they at least try using Antonio Williams and hell give Wade a shot could he be any worse than what they have been putting out there ?

  • Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The cap is the problem.  The salary cap being what it is, it's hard to have talent at all positions.  You have to prioritize and Beane/McD prioritized the passing game.  

 

I gotta believe, though, that they'd loooooove to add a great RB to the mix if they could afford it.  Imagine Cookie at FB and OJ at HB.  How would you defend this team?  Inside, outside, short, deep...  it could attack every part of the field.  

 

The more the D has to defend, the less capable it is of defending anything.  

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I thought Moss played better last year. It's a little discouraging to see him lose playing time like he has.

 

It's clearly an area they have to invest in.  They have the franchise QB - protect him & give him a running game.  If they can do those 2 things, it almost doesn't matter who the WR's are.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, T master said:

So all we ever here is that the NFL is a passing league or that running backs are a dime a dozen or having a good running back isn't as important as it once was . Even Bills history has proved that if you can control a game by keeping a high powered offense off the field with a clock controlling running game you can defeat that high powered offense .

 

Well i have a tendency to disagree especially as the Bills are where they are & play in the conditions that they do. What would have happened in the snovertime game if there were no Shady McCoy to hand that ball to ? 

 

What have running teams done to the Bills top 5 D this year when faced with stopping them I think the Titans, Colts, Ravens & even the Bills have proved these points wrong . If Josh doesn't run with in the Bills offense and the backs don't they usually lose for the lack there of .

 

In their draft 2 years ago when they got Moss i just wasn't a fan of the pick ! Given the Bills location & being in a open stadium not to mention they really need a big bruiser of a back for the goal line and short yardage stuff i wanted a bigger say 230 lb back .

 

You mean to tell me a Jerome Bettis, AP, Christian Okoye aka Nigerian Nightmare , or others (in their prime) of that stature wouldn't be a welcome sight to the Bills offense ? I wanted the Bills to draft AJ Dillon the dude was a beast in college & is more than proved he can be a force to be reckoned with in the NFL and i for 1 would like to see just what he could bring standing behind Josh in this offense .

 

I don't believe those "NFL Experts" know quite as much as they are saying they do especially now with the new style defenses being geared to stop the pass with smaller, quicker players have a really good chance at stopping a true old style running game & we once again could see that play out this Monday night in prime time ! 

 

We have seen in some instances defenses stop a good running game and even the Bills have done it & i hope this week they put together one hell of a game plan to do just that but i do not agree that having a good running back is a lost art in todays NFL .

 

I think investing in a Najee Harris this past year could have been a really good get even though i am happy they got Roseau . Merida has been a definite breath of fresh air but I hope they at least try using Antonio Williams and hell give Wade a shot could he be any worse than what they have been putting out there ?

 

Regarding the bold...the "RBs not important as used to be" thing imo depends on how a teams roster is built, especially at QB. I think a team with an average or game manager type QB situation, a RB is very important as it used to be. (ex. Tanny in Tenn). Teams with a good or elite QB may not see RB's as important. Just my 2 cent..

 

Also to add, that "RB are dime a dozen", well that also depends. I'd say maybe a lot of them are, but RB's like Henry, Taylor certainly are not a dime a dozen lol. Anyway I think RBs are important either way no matter how great or bad a QB is because a solid, decent RB helps the QB anyway.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Tis nobler to have an O Line any RB can run through.

Explains why both TENN backups had 100 yards last week.

Explains why the third string at CLE had 100 yards the week prior.

Seems like that's the place to start.

 

But it may not be the only answer. JT averages almost 6YPC and Hines averages just below 5YPC.

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, T master said:

So all we ever here is that the NFL is a passing league or that running backs are a dime a dozen or having a good running back isn't as important as it once was . Even Bills history has proved that if you can control a game by keeping a high powered offense off the field with a clock controlling running game you can defeat that high powered offense .

 

Well i have a tendency to disagree especially as the Bills are where they are & play in the conditions that they do. What would have happened in the snovertime game if there were no Shady McCoy to hand that ball to ? 

 

What have running teams done to the Bills top 5 D this year when faced with stopping them I think the Titans, Colts, Ravens & even the Bills have proved these points wrong . If Josh doesn't run with in the Bills offense and the backs don't they usually lose for the lack there of .

 

In their draft 2 years ago when they got Moss i just wasn't a fan of the pick ! Given the Bills location & being in a open stadium not to mention they really need a big bruiser of a back for the goal line and short yardage stuff i wanted a bigger say 230 lb back .

 

You mean to tell me a Jerome Bettis, AP, Christian Okoye aka Nigerian Nightmare , or others (in their prime) of that stature wouldn't be a welcome sight to the Bills offense ? I wanted the Bills to draft AJ Dillon the dude was a beast in college & is more than proved he can be a force to be reckoned with in the NFL and i for 1 would like to see just what he could bring standing behind Josh in this offense .

 

I don't believe those "NFL Experts" know quite as much as they are saying they do especially now with the new style defenses being geared to stop the pass with smaller, quicker players have a really good chance at stopping a true old style running game & we once again could see that play out this Monday night in prime time ! 

 

We have seen in some instances defenses stop a good running game and even the Bills have done it & i hope this week they put together one hell of a game plan to do just that but i do not agree that having a good running back is a lost art in todays NFL .

 

I think investing in a Najee Harris this past year could have been a really good get even though i am happy they got Roseau . Merida has been a definite breath of fresh air but I hope they at least try using Antonio Williams and hell give Wade a shot could he be any worse than what they have been putting out there ?

 

Geesh, if you're going to ask people to read and comment on your post could you at least get the player's names correct and look up that Wade had season-ending surgery back in August?

 

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sSpaceForce said:

Tis nobler to have an O Line any RB can run through. ;) 

 

This.  The Bills problem isn't Singletary and Moss per se.  It's the combination of having backs who require a strong run-blocking OL to be effective with an OL that is not a strong run-blocking line.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Can we have both?

 

Maybe just when the RB is on a rookie contract. I favor OL over RB. Of all the positions on offense and defense I feel like RB is the easiest to fill with  a competent player and with the salary cap it's hard to justify a big contract.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

The cap is the problem.  The salary cap being what it is, it's hard to have talent at all positions.  You have to prioritize and Beane/McD prioritized the passing game.  

 

I gotta believe, though, that they'd loooooove to add a great RB to the mix if they could afford it.  Imagine Cookie at FB and OJ at HB.  How would you defend this team?  Inside, outside, short, deep...  it could attack every part of the field.  

 

The more the D has to defend, the less capable it is of defending anything.  

Ya know, adding one of the best FBs and HBs in NFL history would probably turn around any offense , not just ours lol

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

We’ll see how Breida & Singletary look behind our (hopefully) healthy OL Monday Night.  
 

I think our RB’s are decent.  We could definitely do better, but the team as a whole would likely do better with high value assets used on the lines. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Didn't the bills do the RB route before with Lynch and Jackson duo, Spiller, Mcoy, they all helped produce a bunch of 6-10, 7-9 seasons and playoff droughts to show for. I wonder how those past RB's do with Allen taking half their carries and Daboll focusing more on the passing game, basically what we have now all while winning

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, T master said:

To Have a Good Running Back or A Not So Good Running Back That is the Question ??

 

Nope, that's not the question. 

 

No more than to be rich or poor is the question. It's way more complicated than that. 

 

Rich is better, right? Except if it means spending your whole life getting money and dying unloved and unlaughing. The system is way more complicated. Pretending it's an easy simple question is only one more way to deceive yourself

 

All things being equal, sure you'd rather have a good running back than a not so good running back. Duh. Thing is, that's also true at every position. It's better to have a good DE than a not so good DE, a good punter than a not so good punter, a good long snapper than a not so good one. you don't have unlimited money to make it happen at every position. Nor unlimited draft picks.

 

The actual question is this:  Is it worth the compromises at other positions, the resources you will have to give up, the high draft pick you will have to use which will prevent you from selecting a pass rusher instead or a cornerback or whatever. Is it worth the probably $6 -$8M it'll cost you to bring in an FA RB who's good. Is it worth what you have to give up. 

 

Is it worth giving up what you have to give up to upgrade your RB from not so good to good?

 

Oh, and Victory Formation is right above to say that Singletary is probably good right now, and actually he's excellent at pass blocking, a wildly important RB responsibility in our scheme.

 

And while there are certainly exceptions, RB is one of the positions it's generally better to skimp on. The top eight RBs, all receiving $12M or more are McCaffrey, Elliott, Kamara, Cook, Henry, Nick Chubb, Joe Mixon and Aaron Jones. 

 

See any Super Bowl champs there?

 

Great RBs behind poor OLs aren't generally that productive. Whereas average RBs behind good OLs can be very productive, and the OL is important on every play, the good RB not so much so.

 

 

 

 

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

Regarding the bold...the "RBs not important as used to be" thing imo depends on how a teams roster is built, especially at QB. I think a team with an average or game manager type QB situation, a RB is very important as it used to be. (ex. Tanny in Tenn). Teams with a good or elite QB may not see RB's as important. Just my 2 cent..

The fact that we see more defenses aimed at stopping the pass, I would argue that RB is becoming more important than it has ever been for quite awhile. Most defenses boast of a light DL and undersized LBs so RBs like Henry, Chubb and Taylor are having a field day.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...