Ticket Holders — How to Dress For Cold Rain?

elijah

1 word: Goretex.

I have a Goretex parka that is the bomb. You'd want Goretex trousers as well. I even have Goretex boots. Smother yourself in Goretex. Though, it's too late for you to set up this system for Monday night. And it is costly. https://www.ebay.com/b/Military-Gortex-Jacket/57988/bn_7023410187

Alternative, if you can find it: An Army surplus poncho. They are bigger and heavier weight than customary ponchos. They do a good job. There is an Army/Navy store on Transit Road near Main Street, maybe they have them in stock.

Merino wool baselayers up high and down low.

Then a few layers of regular wool up high with some good insulated pants down low.

Top it all off with a set of oversized Frog Toggs if it's going to rain.

Pay the extra dinero for a good pair of boots (buy them a size too large to allow for double wool socks) and some expedition quality mittens and you'll never be cold and wet again.

Full rain suit ad waterproof shoes over 1 less layer than seems appropriate for the temp.  Rain gear doesn’t breath so even if you are cold at first you will be good after the walk to your seat.

or smuggle in a flask.

1 hour ago, boater said:

I have a Goretex parka that is the bomb. You'd want Goretex trousers as well. I even have Goretex boots. Smother yourself in Goretex. Though, it's too late for you to set up this system for Monday night. And it is costly. https://www.ebay.com/b/Military-Gortex-Jacket/57988/bn_7023410187

Alternative, if you can find it: An Army surplus poncho. They are bigger and heavier weight than customary ponchos. They do a good job. There is an Army/Navy store on Transit Road near Main Street, maybe they have them in stock.

George Costanza agrees wholeheartedly.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I have a few thoughts.

Overdress.  Put on more layers you think you'll need.  Especially for a night game.  

Getting your clothes wet is the obvious problem.   So don't let them get wet.   Easier said than done.  

I've always envied the people who have serious bad weather gear - snowmobile outfits, for example.  They always look dry and warm.  

I wear waterproof boots, to be sure my socks and feet stay dry.  I wear long underwear, pants, and either rain or snow pants.  I wear a winter parka, which isn't completely waterproof, or a rain parka, both with hoods.   Multiple layers under that, and a hat under the hood.   Every part of my body gets two layers.  Even gloves.   You can buy silk or other thin gloves to wear inside your regular gloves - they make a big difference.   

Two layers or more everywhere gives you warmth and makes it less likely that the water will get to your skin. 

Finally, I bring a couple of plastic yard bags that you use for yard cleanup.  I cut the bottom off, so it's open.  Then when I get to my seats, I put on the bag like a skirt, using the tie string to hold it at my waist.  That way, when I sit down on the wet seat, the water isn't soaking into my pants.  That helps a lot.  It looks stupid, but I've completely given up on style points when dressing for that weather.   Dry and warm is all I'm shooting for, and if I look ridiculous, I don't really care. 

Nothing's perfect.  I've had games when I've stayed really dry and warm, and I've had games doing mostly the same things when I've been wet and wondering what I'm doing out there.   The more you plan for it, the better off you'll be.  If you do it right, you can enjoy the game.  

This is a fabulous response. May I also recommend a waterproof cushion to put on your seat? One of those thick one inch memory foam pads to sit on? I find that the stadium seats are way too hard and cold to sit on. 

Edited by Victory Formation

The idea is to wear something that will keep you dry. Once your clothing is soaked, you'll freeze your arse off.  Poncho, rain coat...anything that is waterproof. Keep your feet dry too. Waterproof boots. Dress warm, but be sure to keep your clothing dry.

10 hours ago, elijah said:

Oh ***** my man you’re a genius! I forgot I had a rain coat at home that I totally didn’t specifically buy just because of these rainy Bills games, great idea! 

🤦‍♂️

Why the need for the sarcasm on this board all the time. The Colts game was unbearable even with rain gear. Just asking if anyone has found any sort of success or tips outside of rain gear that might help. 

I can't help you on the Bills game perspective, but I can tell you how I'd dress for the evening/am on a winter backpacking trip:

First layer: polypro long undies.  Patagonia makes some of the best, but for a football game, you could do with stuff from Costco:

https://www.costco.com/32-degrees-men's-heat-tee%2c-2-pack.product.100507954.html

https://www.costco.com/32-degrees-men's-heat-pant%2c-2-pack.product.100508321.html

Second layer:

Heavier long-sleeve mock or T-neck.  No cotton.  Poly or wool.

This kind of thing:

https://www.costco.com/spyder-active-men’s-performance-¼-zip.product.100750372.html

Either fleece pants, or fleece lined pants as a 2nd and 3rd layer.

https://www.costco.com/orvis-men's-fleece-lined-jogger.product.100769454.htm

Third layer:

Fleece

This kind of thing on top:

https://www.costco.com/orvis-men’s-fleece-lined-quarter-zip-pullover.product.100754765.html

This kind of thing on bottom:

(over fleece pants)

https://www.costco.com/eddie-bauer-men's-fleece-lined-pant.product.100764387.html

Gaiter and balaclava

This goes on and gets tucked into my third layer, sometimes pulled on over my head and left on my head with just my face showing:

https://www.costco.com/arctic-cool-cooling-face-gaiter-3-pack.product.100690135.html

https://www.amazon.com/Fleece-Windproof-Balaclavas-Super-Outlet/dp/B016YWH0S2/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=fleece+balaclava&qid=1638665421&sr=8-8

If you keep your neck and head warm and dry, you need less covering on the rest of your body

If you're cold blooded, add a puffer vest, either waterproof down or synthetic batting

Top layer, rain coat with a hood that snugs up and rain pants

The rain pants are important.

You need waterproof/breathable like Goretex if you alternate moving and standing still (like if you're energetic and jump up and down and bang seatbacks and cheer), but you can do with Frogg Toggs from Walmart if you're primarily standing around and you're careful:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Frogg-Toggs-Pro-Lite-Waterproof-Rain-Suit-Khaki-Size-X-Large-XX-Large/44813290?athbdg=L1800

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Frogg-Toggs-Pro-Lite-Waterproof-Rain-Suit-Royal-Blue-Size-Medium-Large/43333885?athcpid=43333885&athpgid=AthenaItempage&athcgid=null&athznid=si&athieid=v0&athstid=CS004&athguid=4audLnSFHORCTHIfuonC8w4Dh8AEqWPiayiy&athancid=null&athena=true

You either need rain pants that cover the top of your boots, or wear gaiters to keep rain from running down into your boots and getting your socks wet. 

If you're wearing non-breatheable raingear, open the front at the neck and unzip your 2nd and 3rd layer to vent some heat if you feel yourself getting warm.  And you will get damp inside.

Wear 2 pairs of socks, for me, wool - liner socks and thick outer socks

Wear a pair of poly liner gloves covered by insulated, waterproof mittens

Those LLBean or Sorel type winter boots with the heavy felt liners are great, but if you can find army-surplus Kboots, those are marvelous.

IMHO the place to spend money is on mittens and boots.

Carry two plastic trash bags.  Sit on one if the seat is wet, slit the other (at home if you can't bring a knife in) and put it over your lap if you're sitting, because pressure points at your butt and knees will cause water to soak through rainproof gear

Put a poncho over the top of your gear - A lot of rain gear isn't meant for hours of soaking rain.

Basically, for me, if I pay attention to keeping my neck and head warm and my core warm, my hands and feet stay warm enough.  This is where you have to know yourself - if you're "cold blooded" you may need chemical handwarmers and footwarmers, a fur hat with ear flaps, whatever.

Layers make a huge difference

Polyester fleece stays warm when damp.  Wool is OK too, but I'm too lazy to pamper it in the washing machine and protect it from moths in summer, and fleece is cheaper.

Your mind is the big thing - if you set your mind that the cold doesn't bother you, it doesn't bother you as much - at least not down to the point where hot food freezes in the bowl if you don't eat it quickly and exposed skin risks frostbite quickly.

Hope this helps, along with links for relatively cheap versions of what's needed

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

DO NOT wear a Tyvec suit My brother at the time worked at CECOS (toxic waste dump) in Niagara Falls. We thought that wearing one would protect us from the rain/snow since they are waterproof. We looked like snowmen with them over our parkas. Problem is they keep all your sweat inside too! We were soaked after the game.

For really cold weather, three layers of clothes.

Edited by Wacka
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, boater said:

The thing about Goretex is that it's great for letting out perspiration so you don't get soaked from the inside with evaporating sweat.

But I suspect that if you're standing around, you can do with non-breatheable raingear.

9 minutes ago, Wacka said:

DO NOT wear a Tyvec suit My brother at the time worked at CECOS (toxic waste dump) in Niagara Falls. We thought that wearing one would protect us from the rain/snow since they are waterproof. We looked like snowmen with them over our parkas. Problem is they keep all your sweat inside too! We were soaked after the game.

OK, maybe I'm wrong

13 hours ago, NewEra said:

he doesn’t like people talking the truth about how miserable football games can be when played in wet, windy and cold conditions.  Just shut up and deal with it like the cavemen did. Cavemen didn’t have the luxury of goretex, heaters and domes, why do you need them?  Toughen up weakboi

I expect Cavemen...stayed in their cave when it was dark, raining, and 20-25 mpg winds.  Probably toasting their toes around a fire while wrapped in a bearskin cape.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, HereComesTheReignAgain said:

Invest in a quality rain coat and rain pants. REI, Cabelas, etc tend to have great options. Don’t be one of those fans with a flimsy poncho or garbage bag on. 

I actually thought @Shaw66 idea of a "garbage bag skirt" was genius.  Much better than my idea of laying one down on the seat and one over your legs.

And the flimsy poncho may have its place, but as a topping of extra waterproofness over the rest of the stuff

Rain??? If anything you need to worry about is nasty cold winds and possible snow showers. I'll be wearing my North Face snow pants, my Bills winter coat, and most likely my Thurman jersey over everything. Plenty of layers underneath everything. Your feet might need the most protection being on that cold ass concrete for 3+ hours. 

7 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I actually thought @Shaw66 idea of a "garbage bag skirt" was genius.  Much better than my idea of laying one down on the seat and one over your legs.

And the flimsy poncho may have its place, but as a topping of extra waterproofness over the rest of the stuff

I learned early on in our season ticket years, that buying the right clothing for the various weather conditions  is money well spent. There is something to be said for knowing you can be comfortable no matter what Mother Nature throws at you. Good boots/socks and good rain gear we’re probably the most important parts. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.