Matt Breida transforms our offense.

FireChans

In a way he does transform the offense. His aptitude for the outside zone transforms an Ike Boettger from a liability into a decent run blocker, and he transforms Mitch Morse into a really good run blocker. Outside zone doesn't work well with the other two backs so you can't run it much, hence transformation. Not like we were running it every play in NOLA but it's an added wrinkle.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I just don't buy this.  McD and Daboll have spent their lives in football and have been successful.  But they're too stupid to see that Breida might be better than a 3rd rounder?   That just doesn't make sense to me.  I mean seriously, what coach says, "I don't care if he's outperforming X.  We used a 3rd round draft pick on X and X needs to play."  3rd round picks just aren't that special.  

I think this is more likely:  Breida is not a powerful back.  He's a speed guy who needs space to work and the Bills offensive line so far hasn't been good at creating space.  McD and Daboll probably thought Moss and Singletary were more likely to get yards when dealing with a penetrated backfield and crowded line of scrimmage.  

Explain Nathan Peterman, Vernon Butler. Even Ray Charles could see they weren't good but they kept trotting them out there. They may have been great practice players, but film don't lie. IMO, they were wasted roster spots. 

5 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I just don't buy this.  McD and Daboll have spent their lives in football and have been successful.  But they're too stupid to see that Breida might be better than a 3rd rounder?   That just doesn't make sense to me.  I mean seriously, what coach says, "I don't care if he's outperforming X.  We used a 3rd round draft pick on X and X needs to play."  3rd round picks just aren't that special.  

I think this is more likely:  Breida is not a powerful back.  He's a speed guy who needs space to work and the Bills offensive line so far hasn't been good at creating space.  McD and Daboll probably thought Moss and Singletary were more likely to get yards when dealing with a penetrated backfield and crowded line of scrimmage.  

They take way too long to realize that these so called power backs can't run thru nonexistent holes. People who are alot smarter than me have observed all year the Bills OL struggle to zone block A-C gap plays. Yet from week 2 thru week 10 Daboll insisted to do it. Like pounding your head against a wall. Hondo it's ok to admit that these good coaches occasionally screw up on personnel decisions. Players like Peterman and Ford validates that argument.  I'm not saying Breida will jump in and become Thurman,  but at least this forces defenses to change their strategy. And yes coaches will give a 3rd rounder more rope than a low cost FA.  A 3rd round pick is still considered high.

16 hours ago, JohnNord said:

Yeah… I would not say that he transforms the offense but he does give the team an element of speed and quickness that they have been lacking.  Breida also seemed to do a better job of picking yards in space.   The Bills offensive line is still frightening at times though.   

I think they should work Stevenson in for a few snaps as well for the same reason.  

All I'm saying is to keep this in perspective. Brenda was dumped by Miami for reason. He was not effective there. In SF he as effective in their run scheme but he was more prone to fumble than their other backs (which he has already shown us as well). He is on this team due to his speed and let's hope he can provide the spark McDermott was and is looking for. 

In no way is this in support of Moss or even Singletary who both have shown to have numerous worts. 

Perspective.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BananaB said:

Breida is just more explosive, that’s why he’s getting in the end zone.

Singletary’s couple TDs a year ain’t putting fear in any defences eyes. 

This really is a good offense to get the best out of Breida because  he’s not asked to do too much. With all our weapons opportunities should be easy to come by. That goes for all positions.  I always thought teams never really gave two ***** about Devin or Moss, let them have their carries they were never really gonna burn them.  Breida is too fast and speed kills. Defences are now gonna have to take notice

I have been on record as saying Moss and Motor are 3s at best on an NFL roster. Neither impose any late night worries in a DC!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Spiderweb said:

Brenda gives our offense an additional weapon, but at 2.9 yards per carry, let's not get carried away. That is still a pedestrian performance.

The 2.9 ypc is not great but Breida gives the Bills a boost in the red zone that was lacking.  It gives Allen another option down there and it gives the opposing defense something else to defend.

• Like (+1) 1

He brings a different element, especially as a receiver when we can get him in space (he has raw speed and seems to have good instincts), but "transforms"? I'll reserve judgement on that. I still have memories of the rather nonproductive Pittsburgh game--which is why he went into the Bills Witness Protection Program for several weeks--and his 29 yards rushing this week doesn't not scream "transformative."

I would suggest having Spencer Brown and Jon Feliciano back is more transformational to the running game. With them, the Online goes back to their best version of themselves, and that will be a bigger factor than any of the Bills running backs.

Edited by CSBill

I don't know,  it was only one game. If he provides consistency it will be something, but to say a guy transformed our offense for only being on the field for so long is a long stretch.

It was more Josh Allen passing the ball well with Knox being back. That transformed the offense,  not a guy who played in only 32% of snaps.

Josh Allen 100%

Dawson Knox 61%

Edited by TBBills

15 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Explain Nathan Peterman, Vernon Butler. Even Ray Charles could see they weren't good but they kept trotting them out there. They may have been great practice players, but film don't lie. IMO, they were wasted roster spots. 

These are different scenarios.

But regarding Peterman, what I heard was that he looked really poised and accurate in camp.  And again in preseason.  And fell apart in actual games.  

All talent evaluators make mistakes.  For whatever reason, they have hope some guy is going to step up and he doesn't.  

But to say McD made Breida sit because Moss and Singletary were 3rd round draft picks is just not very probable.  McD cares about winning.  For the sake of the team, the fans, and his own career, nothing is more important.  But he'll make Breida sit because of favoritism for a 3rd round pick.  That's not a believable scenario.  

Breida was a backup in San Francisco.  A backup in Miami.  But when McD makes him a backup in Buffalo, it's some kind of idiotic conspiracy.

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

They still need to draft a legit RB1 IMO.

I agree we need a legitimate RB1 we also need to fix this OL , it’s ridiculous that we face 6 man fronts and we still can’t run , until we get that fixed and have that safety come down and help with run support it will be hard to expect Josh to have another season like he did in 2020 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.