Never seen Josh under center so much

78thealltimegreat

This is what I've been calling out for last 2 years.  Running game and play action game more effective when he's under Center.

I know he sees field better in shotgun but he's more effective under Center.  There was a Stat last year that had his passed rating 20 points higher when under Center.  

Will also make his runs more effective too. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

This is what I've been calling out for last 2 years.  Running game and play action game more effective when he's under Center.

I know he sees field better in shotgun but he's more effective under Center.  There was a Stat last year that had his passed rating 20 points higher when under Center.  

Will also make his runs more effective too. 

When we drafted him I said playaction would be a strength. You could see it at Wyoming. It removes any timing or mechanics issues with Josh. He’s been devastating in playaction. 

What I find to be interesting is that teams disrespect our playaction. If you have looked at our run struggles, the entire defense just attacks our runs. In the jags game, any time we tried to run, it was like 11 guys going right after the RB. 

The more we run playaction, the more our running game will open up. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think sometimes even the best coaches wind up missing the obvious.  BRAIN OVERLOAD ..Play action combined with getting the backs running off tackle a bit seemed to work pretty well. This and getting the O line back together didn't hurt.  I'm really hoping they can begin to hit stride and peak in the second half of the season. 

54 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Anybody else see this? 

Really good stuff to put on tape for upcoming weeks imo.  The misdirection handoffs / jet sweeps, motion - all should cause at least a few defenders to make some guesses here and there that can be exploited.  Liked Josh being under center for sure!

• Like (+1) 1

I have thought for a. while that the running game suffered out of the shotgun. Those RPO runs seldom worked. The backs start flat=footed and by the time they get going the o-line has collapsed. The run game looks so much more aggressive from under center. Play action works much better.

Now whether it makes it harder for Josh to read the defense is another matter, but I would hope he can function well from under center. 

Stay multiple.  Utilizing Gilliam a bit will help the run game.  Helps protect Josh and decent check down option vs a linebaker.  Teams that want to sit back and play coverage against Buffalo may not in 21.  I feel teams have a grasp of our 12 personal spread looks.  By changing the personal groups and even changing players while in 12 puts way more strain on the defense.  This should be what Buffalo looks like week in and out.  Lining up Diggs, Beasley, Sanders with Allen in the gun play in and out puts the pressure on Allen figuratively and literally.

5 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Anybody else see this? 

Bills are 21st in league in shotgun (59%) vs under center. So they aren't really a shotgun heavy team. Highest is Bal at 96% . Via sharpfootballstats.

I couldn't find game to game breakouts, so I don't know if Sun was a significant deviation.

Retraction: mobile dynamic table very glitchy; data incoherent. Will try to update.

Edited by Dukestreetking

9 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I have to admit I kinda liked the Bills doing more I formation this week then I can remember recently and it actually seemed to work. 
 Since we don’t have a franchise back and are more by committee hey what the heck. 

When you look at the snap counts, the guy who actually had the biggest change in his snap counts was Reggie Gilliam, followed by Tommy Sweeney.

Gilliam was on the field 38% of the snaps, Sweeney 34% - and Knox 84%, so that wasn't a load sharing strategy with Knox.  Bates saw 19%, which is 12% more than his snaps replacing an OL starter at the end of the game.

The Bills evidently decided that if we can't run with 5 OLmen, we'll bring in extra blockers. 

We're shocked that the Jets didn't run that Cover 2 Shell against us, but the fact that we had extra blockers in so much and were able to run the ball may have been cause-and-effect there.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.