MNF: Rams at Niners

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

Trading for Von Miller on the last year of his contract is an all-in this year move. It made no sense. I doubt they can afford him next year. They have about $6 million in cap space in 2022. At least they won't have to worry about signing draft picks. That's a plus.

I originally said 2 years because Stafford becomes a free agent after next season and he'll be 35 at that point. That's a 2 year window to win with non-elite QB play and from there it gets worse. By then they will have a serious lack of depth and more contracts coming due. It's a very weird strategy.

They’ll probably trade for Aaron Rodgers by that point.

All that matters is that in 2018, we heard they couldn’t keep trading picks and they were “all in.” Here we are, 3 years later, 1 game back from the one seed again. 

If you are sitting here telling me the Rams strategy has not worked since McVay got hired, you are flat out point blank WRONG. If you are telling me that eventually their roster will age out and they will pay the Piper, of course they will. But so does every team. The Pats had to retool their roster 3-4 times with Brady. The Falcons and the Eagles went all in and had to blow everything up 2 years later. The Bills are NO DIFFERENT. When guys like Tre’s and Josh’s and Oliver’s contracts get larger and they get older, we will be forced to retool. That’s the story of the NFL.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

You evidently believe they are year after year.  If they were they would win their division more often and make the playoffs every year.

I'll leave you to your opinions.

They have missed the playoffs once since hiring McVay and they went 9-7.  Won the NFC championship game. .500 record in the postseason.

So yes. 

Imagine thinking McVay and the Rams haven’t been good lol. As a Bills fan!

They have lost 23 games over 5 years lolololol

Edited by FireChans

4 minutes ago, Talley56 said:

I was all too curious so I had to look it up.  And what do you know, look who the last team was they beat at home:

image.thumb.png.5134906a828fa6ad9f111ccbc68ff6bf.png

well that just makes me wonder when was the last time they won at home against a team that wasn't the Rams.

Oh right 2019 NFC Championship game.

Edited by Warcodered

10 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

I must have remembered wrong cause Schwartz never gave them a top five d. So maybe Stafford only ever had a top five d once? 

I believe under Schwartz they were top 10. They had Suh in his prime and they still couldn’t win anything. Stafford has been average to mediocre most of his career. He’s only gotten somewhat of a pass because he played for Detroit. 

12 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

But did they spend all of their draft picks and toast their cap space to do it?

No they did not. They spent a 4th round pick on Fournette. They took a risk on Gronk being out of football shape and Brown being a locker room cancer.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

We’ve been hearing this for 5 years and the Rams just keep on winning and competing. 

This 2 year window has been 5 years long already. So a 7 year Super Bowl window, with a coach who has the best record in the NFL? Cause for a tear down because they are losing to a division rival on the road? 

Our Super Bowl window opened last year. Do we have 6 years left? 

They made the wildcard last season and the year before they didn't make the playoffs at all.  Still have a tough schedule ahead of them this year. 

Why would the Bills not have 6 years left?  They have a franchise QB locked up, managed cap space, and future draft picks.

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

They have missed the playoffs once since hiring McVay and they went 9-7.  Won the NFC championship game. .500 record in the postseason.

So yes. 

This is the 5th year.  You keep saying 5 years! like the Rams have been SuperBowl competitors for 5 years!  They haven't.  What you are basically saying as a Bills fan, and we all know how you feel about the Bills, is that the difference between the Bills and Rams is 1 championship game that we lost last season and some regular season games.  The Bills have a young franchise QB locked up for a long time, a solid core of players on contracts, the ability to continue to build through the draft.  The Rams have an aging QB under contract for 1 more year, a bunch of high priced talent that is about to get let go for cap space, and no draft picks.

You talk as if their model has already worked.  It hasn't been proven to work yet.  Say this stuff after they win a Super Bowl.  

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2

The only surprise is that anyone is surprised. The 49ers are 5-0 their last 5 games against the Rams. Why? Because Sean McVay might confuse some teams with his "Mike Shanahan with nobs on" scheme. But he doesn't fool Kyle Shanahan with it. The two things you normally see from the Rams is receivers running open and and lots of YAC. Last night take out the wheel route to Kupp on their touchdown drive and the third down that the tight end dropped late in the 3rd and how many truly open Rams receivers did you see? Even when they had completions there was no YAC because the 49ers defenders were in the perfect spot to make the tackle. 

It's not magic folks.... it's the scheme Mike Shanahan won two Superbowl using with a lot of pre-snap action as eye candy. 

• Like (+1) 2

What the last two weeks have shown us, there are no truly dominant teams in the NFL this year. There are upper-echelon teams, like the Bills, and any one of those teams can make a case for a serious super bowl run (like the Bills)--should they put it all together.

Hold on, it's going to be a wild ride these next eight weeks.

Edited by CSBill
  • Agree 2

7 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

This is the 5th year.  You keep saying 5 years! like the Rams have been SuperBowl competitors for 5 years!  They haven't.  What you are basically saying as a Bills fan, and we all know how you feel about the Bills, is that the difference between the Bills and Rams is 1 championship game that we lost last season and some regular season games.  The Bills have a young franchise QB locked up for a long time, a solid core of players on contracts, the ability to continue to build through the draft.  The Rams have an aging QB under contract for 1 more year, a bunch of high priced talent that is about to get let go for cap space, and no draft picks.

You talk as if their model has already worked.  It hasn't been proven to work yet.  Say this stuff after they win a Super Bowl.  

How can you say the Rams model hasn’t worked?

What team has been better then them consistently since hiring McVay? 

Also, if they need to win a Super Bowl for it to work, then our model hasn’t worked either.

Really perplexed by the Rams but the 49ers do seem to have their number. Just a very strange season so far in terms of all these jekyl and hyde teams.

Going to be an interesting situation in LA if they don't turn things around quick or Snead and McVay might not be employed much longer. And it won't be a desirable destination for a new HC/GM since they'll have no draft picks to work with.

12 hours ago, FireChans said:

What does being a Bills fan have to do about a discussion on the LA Rams.  You seem to be a bit emotional of anyone questioning 

their decisions.  I'm sure some fans from many other teams question (even teams that are consistently better than the Rams) their choices.

BUT IF you want to compare the 2 lets do that.  In the last 5 years the Rams have played the Bills 2 times and lost both games.

• Agree 2

31 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Really perplexed by the Rams but the 49ers do seem to have their number. Just a very strange season so far in terms of all these jekyl and hyde teams.

Going to be an interesting situation in LA if they don't turn things around quick or Snead and McVay might not be employed much longer. And it won't be a desirable destination for a new HC/GM since they'll have no draft picks to work with.

Not that perplexing. Kyle has it right.

20 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

What does being a Bills fan have to do about a discussion on the LA Rams.  You seem to be a bit emotional of anyone questioning 

their decisions.  I'm sure some fans from many other teams question (even teams that are consistently better than the Rams) their choices.

BUT IF you want to compare the 2 lets do that.  In the last 5 years the Rams have played the Bills 2 times and lost both games.

What teams are consistently better than the Rams since they hired McVay?

This is indisputable. I’m sorry.

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

What teams are consistently better than the Rams since they hired McVay?

This is indisputable. I’m sorry.

OK I will give up this discussion.  You evidently believe the Rams are the #1 team in football since the McVay hire and I do not.

Go Bills!

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

OK I will give up this discussion.  You evidently believe the Rams are the #1 team in football since the McVay hire and I do not.

Go Bills!

You can’t answer. Because there isn’t an answer. 

McVay is the most winningest coach in the NFL currently. Indisputable.

5 hours ago, FireChans said:

How can you say the Rams model hasn’t worked?

What team has been better then them consistently since hiring McVay? 

Also, if they need to win a Super Bowl for it to work, then our model hasn’t worked either.

How can you say it has? Yes, they made the super bowl by having an innovative offense take the league by storm.  It got figured out by Belichick and they got embarrassed.

Depends how you look at it.  

The difference between us and them is one championship game.  They won theirs.  We didn't.  The other difference is they will be blowing their team up and have no picks to rebuild it.  Our team will continue to build and we will still have a franchise QB around a solid core of players.

Explain what their future is and tell me how its worked.  One year of division winner losing in wildcard round, one superbowl embarrassment, one year of no playoffs, one year of being second in the division and getting a wildcard game.  Is that considered worked?  I know if that's the Bills you are negative about it.

Edited by Scott7975

2 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

Not that perplexing. Kyle has it right.

Oh so now it's Stafford's fault, like it was Goff's fault.... I get it. When is it McVay's fault? Because when a team stops his scheme he has zero adjustments. I mean if people think Brian Daboll doesn't adjust... watch the LA Rams. The 49ers beat them every time because they know all of these plays. They practice against all of these plays. They are Shanahan plays. McVay knows that and yet time after time they come out against the 9ers and run the same plays. 

22 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

How can you say it has? Yes, they made the super bowl by having an innovative offense take the league by storm.  It got figured out by Belichick and they got embarrassed.

Correction it was Matt Patricia who first worked it out to give him his due. He did it as the Lions coach in a game they still lost but he played a bear front, ignored all the pre-snap motion and gave them no run lanes and then just played coverage on the play-action. He didn't have good enough players to make it work, Vic Fangio the next week as the Bears DC did and then Belichick did in the Superbowl. 

Interestingly it is the defense Leslie Frazier went to against San Fran last year after they marched down the field against us on the first drive. Why? Cos it is the same offense. The "Sean McVay is an innovator" thing is a lie. He is re-selling you Mike Shanahan 90s chic. He is a good coach, don't get me wrong but I think he has gotten too much of a pass for what has happened to his offensive numbers since that Lions game in 2018. I showed the math in the summer, they average about a TD a game less since the book on how to stop them was put out there. They have good players so it isn't easy for every team to do it, but good teams, with good players and good coaches can do it. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.